Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I very recently discovered that Roon offers DSP, which I was completely unaware of, and it go me thinking...my plan was to replace my Innuos Mini streamer with a MiniDSP SHD Studio. This would allow me to add DSP room correction, in the digital domain, up-stream of my dac.

I could, as an alternative, enable Roon on my Innuos, input my REW EQ settings, and have DSP on my current setup!?

I anyone doing this already?

Boysey

Wammer
Jan 28, 2017
Melksham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Perhaps this doesn’t really answer your question, but yes I did try DSP within Roon.

However, I do listen to some MQA files and when DSP is enabled, MQA is disabled. (somewhat disappointed to say the least).

I do listen to music via Tidal and Qobus and High Res and Redbook files do benefit from DSP correction. (Sometimes).

So, really it’s horses for course as they say..... so have a go.

It will be interesting to hear your take on DSP.

I might also add that MQA isn’t all it’s cracked up to be either.... but perhaps that’s for another discussion.

Streamed music is via my Myteck Brooklyn DAC / Microrendu.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I use it here and it is excellent of course it only ‘corrects’ your digital sources, use REW to measure and it’s EQ feature to generate the correct settings.

Keith

manicatel

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2009
Herts/Essex border
AKA
matt
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Another satisfied user here. Definitely can be be useful, although Roon tells you that the signal path is no longer at its optimum when you use their EQ options. 
Although Roon is spendy, it’s features such as their excellent DSP facilities that help justify the cost.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've tried 4 DSPs and really haven't been over-impressed with any and generally prefer to disengage it.

I've used:

RoomPerfect, that I found very disappointing,

MARS, not bad but no real improvement

Anthem (in ML speakers) some small apparent improvement

Dirac Live, again an initial feeling of improvement but preferred with it off.

I also have Avantgarde's own built-in DSP but not used it yet as it isn't based on measurements - only one's ears. 

The trouble with all these is that the extra processing certainly does improve accuracy, but it also takes away some of the liveliness of the music and its excitement factor - particularly RoomPerfect. 

So if you want to think that all frequencies are reaching you at the same level, go for DSP.  If you want the excitement factor more akin to a live performance, just stick to sound from first class speakers un-buggered-about with!

I will use the AG system as it in incorporated within the subs' own amps/XOs so no extra circuitry.  I'll get someone round with measuring kit and good knowledge of the system, but only when I'm happy with other speaker set up factors.

I wasn't over impressed with MQA as others have mentioned.  It requires a streamer and DAC that are both MQA compliant, but even with these, I've found Qubuz's genuine high res music rather better than Tidal's MQA offerings.

PuritéAudio

Legend Wammer
New Wammer
Jul 10, 2016
London
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would only reduce any low bass peaks caused by standing waves, these will be obvious from the plot because both left and right channels will show the same peak at the same frequency.

Reducing these peaks simply removes the addition of the room, so you hear the ‘correct’ level.

Keith 

Boysey

Wammer
Jan 28, 2017
Melksham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've tried 4 DSPs and really haven't been over-impressed with any and generally prefer to disengage it.
I've used:
I also have Avantgarde's own built-in DSP but not used it yet as it isn't based on measurements - only one's ears. 
The trouble with all these is that the extra processing certainly does improve accuracy, but it also takes away some of the liveliness of the music and its excitement factor - particularly RoomPerfect. 
So if you want to think that all frequencies are reaching you at the same level, go for DSP.  If you want the excitement factor more akin to a live performance, just stick to sound from first class speakers un-buggered-about with!
I will use the AG system as it in incorporated within the subs' own amps/XOs so no extra circuitry.  I'll get someone round with measuring kit and good knowledge of the system, but only when I'm happy with other speaker set up factors.
I wasn't over impressed with MQA as others have mentioned.  It requires a streamer and DAC that are both MQA compliant, but even with these, I've found Qubuz's genuine high res music rather better than Tidal's MQA offerings.
Well said, I would agree with most of what you’ve said. Most High Res Qobuz recordings are better sounding than Tidal MQA.

As already mentioned, if you’re happy with your system to play what you expect to hear.... there’s not much more to say.[emoji106]

A lifetime of searching ... then Pathos!!! (A personal choice of course)[emoji736]

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
>  A lifetime of searching ... then Pathos!!! (A personal choice of course)

Which Pathos do you use?  I've often wondered if I should look at their kit.  Peter

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I've used:

thanks that does make sense. I have a large and quite reflective room and REW shows some oddities, so it feels like DSP is something I should at least try, and since I don't want to change my analogue crossover for a digital one, I need DSP upstream of my dac, so the SHD/Roon solution is what I need.

One question on hardware please, the Innuos site suggests the streamer will struggle to run Roon AND DSP together and that I should use a PC into the streamer. Does this mean that my Zen Mini Mk2 won't have enough CPU power? Is anyone running DSP on just the Innuos with no PC attached?

I have a 4u box on my hifi rack that can accomodate a 1u miniITX PC to run Roon is needed, but obviously I'd prefer to just use the streamer if possible.

Boysey

Wammer
Jan 28, 2017
Melksham
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
>  A lifetime of searching ... then Pathos!!! (A personal choice of course)
Which Pathos do you use?  I've often wondered if I should look at their kit.  Peter
Inpower Monos
In Control Pre Amp
In the Groove Phono Stage
Digit CD
Revolver Cygnus Speakers
Denon DP80 / Dynavector / Koestu (Vinyl)

Use to be obsessed with Mcintosh.... but this beats it hands down (another personal opinion)

4ccf8a9fbe46267cc253651d8d3b7556.file

Reactions: hearhere

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles