Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've seen a lot of criticism of Chinese gear that have valves just for decoration. Rightly so in my opinion.

When they have LEDs underneath to make them glow more it's even worse. I have to say I'm not therefore a fan of much of the recent crop of McIntosh gear either for just that reason. What on earth are they thinking?? But at least the valves do something.

Not only does it make them feel cheap but I also wonder if it can have an effect on the sound. After all valve amp makers go to some effort to separate the heating circuit from the others. I wonder if it's the same with these fake valves. And if it is, couldn't that money have been spent elsewhere?

Anyway, the reason I'm posting is I've seen a review of a very pricey monobloc that does just this. And it's class D so are they trying to use this to distract from the traditional view that class D is sterile? If so surely having a valve in circuit is the way to go??

Anyway here's the review, just wondering what others think?

https://www.hifinews.com/content/agd-gran-vivace-monoblock-amplifier

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
'When they have LEDs underneath to make them glow more it's even worse.'

My Jolida FX valve DAC has little blue light by the valves. It's not very noticeable unless the lights are low, but I quite like it.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think LED-lit valves looks quite cool. 😎

But then, I never did have any taste. 

... however, sticking a valve on top of a serious bit of solid state gear does seem a bit strange, even to me. 

Last edited by a moderator:

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyway, the reason I'm posting is I've seen a review of a very pricey monobloc that does just this. And it's class D so are they trying to use this to distract from the traditional view that class D is sterile? If so surely having a valve in circuit is the way to go??
As you know, there are no valves in this amplifier at all, zero. It is for show in putting a Class D circuit inside an empty glass valve. Its big selling point is it uses the latest wizzie circuit using Gallium Nitride MOSFETs, GaN. A style issue, but why not just solder the amplifier rather than use an empty valve and do those pins help current flow.

And for £18,000 you could some decent, REAL valve monoblocks.   

• Upvote
Reactions: MF 1000

rdale

Wammer
Wammer Plus
May 21, 2009
Gran Canaria, Spain
AKA
Richard Dale
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've seen a lot of criticism of Chinese gear that have valves just for decoration. Rightly so in my opinion.

When they have LEDs underneath to make them glow more it's even worse. I have to say I'm not therefore a fan of much of the recent crop of McIntosh gear either for just that reason. What on earth are they thinking?? But at least the valves do something.

Not only does it make them feel cheap but I also wonder if it can have an effect on the sound. After all valve amp makers go to some effort to separate the heating circuit from the others. I wonder if it's the same with these fake valves. And if it is, couldn't that money have been spent elsewhere?

Anyway here's the review, just wondering what others think?

https://www.hifinews.com/content/agd-gran-vivace-monoblock-amplifier
Yikes - £18000 the pair. I think it looks hideous, but maybe better in real life.

My Glow amp has LEDs under the valves and I think one or more of them has failed, but I’m not going to bothered getting that fixed. The amp has a volume knob with changing colors that I don’t particularly like either. I would say I love my Glow Amp One in spite of these lighting effects, not because of them.

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love LED lit valves.

They should really install colour changing ones though, as not everyone will like the same colour and it need to work into room aesthetics. 

• Haha
Reactions: MF 1000

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

PeteT59

Wammer
Jul 20, 2020
Brighton
AKA
Pete
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
At £18k a pair, I'm very unlikely to ever consider making a purchase... In this case it seems at least that they do at least sound really good, if a bit visually challenging.

Pimping genuine valves with leds isn't something I'd go for, just as I don't pimp my car with painted calipers or illuminated rear dif (not that my old audi a4 has a rear dif), but some folks like that sort of thing... and who an I to deny that option to them.

Each to their own path...

Sent from my CLT-L09 using Tapatalk

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Love LED lit valves.

They should really install colour changing ones though, as not everyone will like the same colour and it need to work into room aesthetics. 
Do you mean you get to select the colour you want or it keeps changing. In fact you could install the little circuit from the dodgy Christmas lights you get now and select different patterns of colour, flashing etc, now that would be cool (if you're into these LEDs of course).

Alternatively, and I can see a market for this, some sort of Phillips ambilight system under the chassis that changes with the music.  Invite your special lady round, slip on a bit of Barry White and relax on the sofa with a bottle of Liebfraumilch or Blue Nun.

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As you know, there are no valves in this amplifier at all, zero. It is for show in putting a Class D circuit inside an empty glass valve. Its big selling point is it uses the latest wizzie circuit using Gallium Nitride MOSFETs, GaN. A style issue, but why not just solder the amplifier rather than use an empty valve and do those pins help current flow.

And for £18,000 you could some decent, REAL valve monoblocks.   
I didn't realise the circuit is in the valve, if that's the case I kind of like it. A bit like an exhibition back on a watch or the Chord DACs but not as subtle.  Although if the valve gets smashed and the insides damaged it's a lot more expensive than replacing a real valve. Unless it's a WE 300B I suppose.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It would make a great talking point as a doorstop🤢

I would'nt buy anything valve or otherwise that was lit up like a christmas tree with leds no matter how good it was. I consider it the height of bad taste imho!

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Purely down to personal taste, if something isn't to your taste then that is fine, but keep it to yourself don't slag it off to anyone or everyone as all you are doing is insulting the person who liked it so much they bought it.

We all like to think we are the greatest arbiter of taste, but in the final analysis for every one person who likes something there will be another who doesn't. It is the same as scoffing at someone's taste in music, if someone likes Val Doonican, or Mongolian throat singing let them crack on, don't think you are superior because of your preference of who you listen to.

• Upvote
Reactions: JANDL100

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
"Audio grade GaN MOSFets"

Eh? Does he mean they don't oscillate like crazy 🤣

It's a bit marmite that thing but however you see it £17k is an invitation to piss your money down the drain,  as with so much in audio at the moment.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I suppose I should add that if you like it enough to buy it then no doubt it sounds transparent in a positive sense so I'm not criticising the performance of it of which I have no knowledge, just the value: you could save £15k and get the same thing without a glass bottle.

• Upvote
Reactions: MVJ

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Purely down to personal taste, if something isn't to your taste then that is fine, but keep it to yourself don't slag it off to anyone or everyone as all you are doing is insulting the person who liked it so much they bought it.

We all like to think we are the greatest arbiter of taste, but in the final analysis for every one person who likes something there will be another who doesn't. It is the same as scoffing at someone's taste in music, if someone likes Val Doonican, or Mongolian throat singing let them crack on, don't think you are superior because of your preference of who you listen to.
I was under the impression the thread was started to hear the opinions of anyone interested enough to reply yet your saying we should'nt do that which makes the thread a bit pointless surely?

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Do you mean you get to select the colour you want or it keeps changing. In fact you could install the little circuit from the dodgy Christmas lights you get now and select different patterns of colour, flashing etc, now that would be cool (if you're into these LEDs of course).

Alternatively, and I can see a market for this, some sort of Phillips ambilight system under the chassis that changes with the music.  Invite your special lady round, slip on a bit of Barry White and relax on the sofa with a bottle of Liebfraumilch or Blue Nun.
For example. I light a warm amber glow as it suita my bohemian/industrial environment, I don't like Mcintosh's green glow, but many would. So if I could change the colour on the Mac to a warm amber glow I'd be happy. 

I don't however like LED light outputs, and prefer tungsten, but they are a dying breed.

If you design your living space around a certain style and ambience, having the appropriate lighting is infinitely important. 

• Upvote
Reactions: JamieMcC and MVJ

Speedracer

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 2, 2014
Ferndown
AKA
Brook
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was under the impression the thread was started to hear the opinions of anyone interested enough to reply yet your saying we should'nt do that which makes the thread a bit pointless surely?
Not really, I was questioning the use of the word "tacky" specifically, I doubt many on here have actually heard the amp to comment on it's sound.

• Upvote
Reactions: MVJ

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Each to their own, basically. I have nothing against 'form over function', but to me, the ideal is to combine the two. My valve power supplies use voltage regulators, though not direct in circuit, as they can be unpleasantly electrically noisy. A shunt regulator is better, but it needs a fixed reference voltage and VR valves are ideal for this. Most VRs are visually attractive, so a win-win. Many directly-heated triodes produce beautiful light of various hues (as do VR valves).

Putting LED lights under valves or using valves purely for decoration is worse than form over function, as both have potentially negative effects on a circuit. Both, however, deserve something. I would say five years in maximum security sounds about right.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online