Art Audio Concerto info

Martiankind

New Wammer
Oct 12, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Greetings from Martiankind. I've recently purchased an Art Audio Concerto amp. It is serial #928. The seller advertised this as a triode wired pp amp the uses 12AX7 and either 6550 or KT88. But the owners manual that was enclosed was for the MK 2 version which uses different small driver tubes with either KT88/KT90 big tubes. Hopefully someone can shed some Martian light on this.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd send Tom Willis at Art an email in the first instance. Those driver and gain valves aren't what are normally fitted to a MkII, but I don't know what the MkI used, and anyway if someone has changed it to triode operation, there may have been some other alterations done.

Martiankind

New Wammer
Oct 12, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'd send Tom Willis at Art an email in the first instance. Those driver and gain valves aren't what are normally fitted to a MkII, but I don't know what the MkI used, and anyway if someone has changed it to triode operation, there may have been some other alterations done.
I appreciate your thoughts. I did email Tom Willis at the address on Facebook a few days ago. The dealer I purchased from has been in the business for years. He stands by the unit is not a mk2.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I believe Tom is still going, though by all accounts he is not working as much as he used to. A phone call may well be best.

It's worth noting that Art amplifiers are quite readily serviced by anyone who properly understands valve hifi. Component specs are important, as Tom is rather fussy about certain parts. However, the actual circuits are straightforward, though with some interesting aspects here and there.

Of course, that all assumes anything needs doing to it. If it's 'right' it ought to sound very decent. If it's running triode strapped, though, bear in mind the output power will be about half that quoted for the standard amp. If there is a degree of negative feedback in the original amp, distortion (though mostly relatively benign even-order harmonic) may actually be higher, though the amp will run more smoothly into soft clipping.

Reactions: Martiankind

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Reactions: uzzy

Martiankind

New Wammer
Oct 12, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, I did find out the MK 2 manual was downloaded from the internet and was not the original one. Dealer insist it is the previous model otherwise he would bumped up the price. But it appears that it has the larger chassis of the MK 2 and the same back panel layout. Thought the original models had input/output jacks sticking out vertically from the top panel?

Down in Devon

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 22, 2013
Now Up Norf
AKA
Mike
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Tom is still working and I (as per others) would suggest a phone call would work this out easily.
For what it is worth I had a very nice Concerto MK2 and remember the valves as ECC82/88 and KT88 in mine. I also remember they were in a 1212 configuration in the chassis (as the dealer I purchased it from had wrongly inserted them)
It was a fantastic amp and worked flawlessly....

Reactions: Martiankind

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online