Art Audio Jota VS Audio Note Conquest

Pani

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2011
Friends, I am in a situation where one of these could be mine. Both are similarly priced, specs are also similar. Both are Parallel Single ended 300B power amps with 18 watts per channel output. Has anyone heard both ? Or at least has anyone heard similar amps from both these brands ? How do they differ in their presentation ? Any input would greatly helpful in choosing between them.

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
I had both brands but different models, I do love ART Audio stuffs but Audionote UK, to me, has some kinna holy stuffs build in to them! Every single products from PQ never failed to impress me, musically. and just a little note to you from my own experienced, Tom Willis's ART Audio tend to have a real world measurement of power output where as Audionote's figure can be a bit too ambitious so if you are going for Audionote UK, make sure your speakers are easy-ish to drive.

dohraeme

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 14, 2007
Various
AKA
Cameron
Friends, I am in a situation where one of these could be mine. Both are similarly priced, specs are also similar. Both are Parallel Single ended 300B power amps with 18 watts per channel output. Has anyone heard both ? Or at least has anyone heard similar amps from both these brands ? How do they differ in their presentation ? Any input would greatly helpful in choosing between them.
The Jota isn't a parallel design, there are are also different versions of the amp, some are designed to accommodate high-current 300B variants (300BXLS) which can push the power output up to around 24 watts.

Pani

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2011
The question is, which of these have a more honest presentation. I am not looking for a rosy picture unless it is in the music.

Pani

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2011
In which case, you should be looking at solid state amplifiers.
I have been using SS for all these years. I find well designed tube amps present a more realistic picture of the music.

KevinF

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2011
North Devon
AKA
As above
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Conquest is essentially the same circuit design as the Kegons that I run; the primary difference being in its use of copper rather than silver. I have not heard an Audio Jota, but my review of the Kegons can be found here: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/audio-note-kegon-monoblocks/

Pani

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2011
The Conquest is essentially the same circuit design as the Kegons that I run; the primary difference being in its use of copper rather than silver. I have not heard an Audio Jota, but my review of the Kegons can be found here: http://www.hifiwigwam.com/audio-note-kegon-monoblocks/
Thanks for that review Kevin. The Kegon is a super amp I am sure. Whether I should really compare it to Conquest, that I am not sure. Have you ever heard an M6 preamp ?

wuzznbuddy

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 8, 2008
Cambridgeshire
Aren't you selling your M6?? If you are using an AN pre, then the Conquests would be the obv choice. It really depends what speakers you are using tho.

KevinF

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2011
North Devon
AKA
As above
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I think it's safe to say that the Conquest has the same essential characteristics, just in less generous measure.

Transformer design and quality make or break a SET amplifier to a large extent: poor iron at the end of even the most purist circuit is going to sound grainy and rolled off. Personally, I'd back Audio Note UK's transformers against any, because I know how much know-how and effort goes into them. I had the Conquest IHIB C core transformers in my earlier P4s and they performed very well. Wammers who attended a bake-off here before I sold them were very complementary (and then no doubt 'in the finest traditions of' etc. rubbished the system on the way home).

The problem we all have at this kind of price level is that it's way beyond the 'oh, I'll just buy it and see how it goes' level. And with SETs too, as you will already know, there seems to be a greater potential for mis-matches with speakers that on paper one might think would make happy companions. The only - and blindingly obvious suggestion I can make - is borrow both and keep the ones that sound best.

Good luck with your deliberations.

Pani

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2011
Actually I have heard the Conquest Silver Signature and liked it. I have to stretch really hard to get that. The Jota on the other hand is more accessible (affordable). AN has a sound which is exquisite. I have never heard a sound that is more beautiful. But I am trying to gather whether this beauty has any negatives in the speed and dynamics department. OTOH the Jota which supposedly is known for dynamics, do they have a measure delicacy and exquisiteness or is it more of slam bam thank you mam.

Pani

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2011
At this price point I could also get a NAP 300 which is almost at the near top of the Naim chain. On a different day it would have been my dream system. How much ever I try I am unable get this out of my head. For about the price I am looking to spend on a Jota/AN system I could get a 252/Supercap2/300, and I know I love the Naim sound to core. My heart tells me that I will be really happy with such a top tier Naim system but my brain tells me that if I go that way then I should not look for the tube beauty or rather should be prepared to forego that aspect of music presentation.

At this moment I am more or less fixed that whichever tube amp I get (Jota or Conquest), it will be driven by a Naim preamp.

But then I am yet to really nail down between Jota and Conquest. Individually they are equally well reviewed but head to head how do they differ sonically I am unable gather.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
A naim pre-amp with SET powers is a very strange idea! :dunno: What are your speakers?

Pani

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 17, 2011
A naim pre-amp with SET powers is a very strange idea! :dunno: What are your speakers?
My speakers are Tannoy Turnberry SE.

I want to keep the signal clean and tight till it reaches the SET. Naim preamps are pretty transparent and I know few guys on Naim forums who match the Naim preamps with Jota and Manley 300B SETs.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I also have Turnberrys. I have had no luck at all with SET power with them - even 845s just didn't grip them. Try before you buy!

IME the Tannoys respond well to push-pull valve amplification. I've used 300B pp monos in the past, and I'm very happy with the sound of the Air Tight driven by an AN pre.

falcoron

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Jan 17, 2006
Belfast, , United Ki
AKA
RON
I have been using SS for all these years. I find well designed tube amps present a more realistic picture of the music.
Me too,

never heard a ss amp do it as well as a good tube amp.

the art amps are superb mate and I do love AN as well, but I think the art might give you a less rosy sound. Omo

b_online

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 22, 2008
london
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The question is, which of these have a more honest presentation. I am not looking for a rosy picture unless it is in the music.
If transparency is a top priority, you might like OTLs , although I tend to find them a bit coarse and many times have found them -slightly- lacking in the emotional department .

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles