Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was having a hypothetical chat with another Naim owner about which was the better speaker.

The two of us debated the subject for a while and I suggested I throw it open for debate on the WW forum. So which is the better speaker and why?

Regards

PB

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
what arts?, what focals? and what naim system?

you know which side of the fence i sit on
biggrin.png

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any, we were discusing the whole lot.

Ok Paul, which model and why?

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BTW, I am neutrel on this one as I own pair of ARTs and would therefore be biased.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I too am biased nigel, which model? depends on budget? room size etc.

I reckon those who like what the focals do will not choose ART and vice versa.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don't think the two have anything in common then?

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quite suprised by a suggestion that they are very different in presentation. From my limited experience, they share lots of common ground...the Arts may be a touch leaner, but the focals won me over with tighter dynamics and a slighter more even balance, making them a touch more neutral IMO, but I thought we were talking sets of speakers who both value neutrality, openness, dynamics and tonal accuracy. If you wanted contrast, surely Spendors, Wilson, PMC, B&W, Quad, etc would be further apart? Of the two small speakers which I listened too extensively, the Art monitors were more forward, had leaner bass and a touch more forward mid IMO, the Focals 'winning' for me, with better bass, a better balance overall, and that amazing beryllium tweeter...Still, if Focal didn't exist, and someone had given me Arts as a predsent, I'd still have a big smile...I just might need another amp!

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What kind of question is that?! Way too many variables to give a definitive answer.

But if this helps the debate any, I've heard five sets of Emotions in different systems and enjoyed them all in different ways. I've heard a set of Stillettos and wasn't that impressed. Didn't do anything wrong particularly but not memorable in any way and no way would I drop a k on them. Would like to hear other models though, as the Emotions can be spectacularly good.

On the other hand, I've heard many different JMLab speakers but only at shows (couldn't tell you the models). I do realise that the show hotel suite environment may skew the picture a bit but every single one of those JMLab listens was endured rather than enjoyed. Tonal presentation just wrong to my ears, so much so that I couldn't even begin to listen past the sound for the music. I couldn't tell you if this is still applies to the newest models as I avoided this product at last years's shows.

ART certainly has a loyal and vocal user group and JMLab seems to be growing in popularity too, they certainly have received enthusiastic feedback of late so maybe things have changed. Or maybe I'm just deaf, who knows... If I ever was going to revisit the JMLabs, there would have to be some seriously mellow electronics involved, don't know if you'd include Naim in that category?

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
Uzzy will vote for arts in a few mins!!

I love the look of focal that Paul got for sale for four grand, only if I am single.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
enbee23 wrote:

But if this helps the debate any, I've heard five sets of Emotions in different systems and enjoyed them all in different ways. I've heard a set of Stillettos and wasn't that impressed.
Nick I have had a lot say that about stilettos, until I have demmed them, depends on what you partner them with, you didn't hear them with cyrus by any chance?

Rocky personally I wouldn't use ART speakers and belcanto, they do not make happy bedfellows, the belcantos sound good with other stuff, but not ART.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
rockmeister wrote:

Quite suprised by a suggestion that they are very different in presentation. !
sort of agree, but the thing that makes each brand special enough to drop your money on it, means that those who would choose Focals, would not choose ART, besides you compared the £1k monitor, with a focal @ twice the price, you shoulda put your predjudice about floor vs stand mounts and tried the stiletto 6, however the fact that you are happy with your system suiggest you made the right choice for you.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Both good speakers apparently. The Jurys still out on both for me though.I appreciate what the Focalsdo but not entirely sure they're for me. Heard the Stillettos andfound them okay but nothing special. The Skibos imo werevery dry and uninspiring. Would like to hear Emotions again someday, just to see if they live up to the hype around these parts.

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Paul wrote:

enbee23 wrote:
But if this helps the debate any, I've heard five sets of Emotions in different systems and enjoyed them all in different ways. I've heard a set of Stillettos and wasn't that impressed.
Nick I have had a lot say that about stilettos, until I have demmed them, depends on what you partner them with, you didn't hear them with cyrus by any chance?

Rocky personally I wouldn't use ART speakers and belcanto, they do not make happy bedfellows, the belcantos sound good with other stuff, but not ART.
Spot on, Paul! Stilettos were on the end of a Cyrus CDP/Pre/power/multi psx thing. No life or body to it at all and the guy was so proud of it all. Very high WAF though.

71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Quite prepared to believe that it would be a whole other story with different electronics.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Am I allowed to say I don't like either PB? Not based on what I've heard so far anyway. Im happy to be convinced otherwise though, and I'd love to hear the emotions finally living up to their hype.

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Papa Lazarou wrote:

I have my own opinions of both speaker brands - and thats just what they are opinions. So this thread is pointless since the performance of a speaker depends on room, cabling, positioning, floor-type, partnering equipment etc.
I agree hence why I asked for clairification, personally I reckon it's hypothetical and unaswerable, folks should listen in the context of their own system and buy the model they prefer, BTW I never started the thread, don't lynch me
biggrin.png

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
enbee23 wrote:

Paul wrote:
enbee23 wrote:

Spot on, Paul! Stilettos were on the end of a Cyrus CDP/Pre/power/multi psx thing. No life or body to it at all and the guy was so proud of it all. Very high WAF though.

71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif

Quite prepared to believe that it would be a whole other story with different electronics.
ok when ours come back you can borrow the stiletto, no strings, I pass your house almost daily, but with your VTL, i could happily live with that.

rockmeister

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
Scotland
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
quite...just my long winded way of saying what suited me!

Paul, sod speakers...who is that in your avatar, cos I'm starting to think about a divorce...do you think she'll fancy an old bloke with no money:?

The Hifi Gallery

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 1, 2005
Kinross
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
rockmeister wrote:

quite...just my long winded way of saying what suited me!Paul, sod speakers...who is that in your avatar, cos I'm starting to think about a divorce...do you think she'll fancy an old bloke with no money:?
Dunno John, some perv in Brussels gave me the pick, perhaps he know who she is, last in's the daddy.

enbee23

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 22, 2005
North of Scotland,
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Papa Lazarou wrote:

Both good speakers - would like to hear Emotions again someday.
You edited that just as I was about to quote it!

Was gonna say that I'm NOT an ARTy and obviously not a Focalist. I've heard Emotions sound great but I've heard other makes of speaker sound great too.

ARTS are all a bit rich for my blood anyhow, sadly. There's a lot of music to be had out there from brands that don't get shouted about much and aren't particularly expensive.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles