ATC SCM 11 on home demo - thoughts

CnoEvil

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Aug 7, 2018
Northern Ireland
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You might as well say "I like this", rather than going through the "musicality" charade.

You are 100% right, musicality is subjective, and that's exactly why it's not a valid yardstick.
You asked, so I did my best to explain.

IME. The best way to choose a HiFi system, is to mix measurements with subjective preference....where Subjective preference is more important, but the measurements feed into and help with the decision.

For me, Musicality is what gives the enjoyment - and as such, is a totally valid yardstick For Me.

As it happens, most of the kit I have owned, measured well - but that is not the primary reason I chose it. I chose it, because I enjoyed it.

The only person you can talk definitely about, as to what Yardstick matters, is yourself. It is simply invalid, to project what you deem important, onto others, who think differently

Last edited by a moderator:

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What design parameters are needed for a flattering speaker? Non-linearity?
You don’t accept:

that the world needs more than one speaker design?

That there exists more than one design for speakers at each size in a recording studio ie each manufacturer has their own take on this?

That ATC is not used in the majority of studios?

That not all amps are the same?

Not all turntables are the same?

Not all cars are the same?

Not all Thai green curries are the same? 

Not all humans are the same?

Reactions: Southeastern

Blzebub

Thundering bigot
Wammer
Dec 22, 2015
Stamford, Lincs
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You don’t accept:

that the world needs more than one speaker design?

That there exists more than one design for speakers at each size in a recording studio ie each manufacturer has their own take on this?

That ATC is not used in the majority of studios?

That not all amps are the same?

Not all turntables are the same?

Not all cars are the same?

Not all Thai green curries are the same? 

Not all humans are the same?
Why not answer my question, rather than listing some irrelevant and non-attributed assertions?

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Sad

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You might as well say "I like this", rather than going through the "musicality" charade.

You are 100% right, musicality is subjective, and that's exactly why it's not a valid yardstick.
Musicality is talked about constantly by the people making and recording the music. It seems somewhat ironic that in search for recreating what happened in the studio that this concept bypasses you completely. 😂😂😂

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The ATC SCM 11 is back on home demo. What a difference a higher end streamer and a rug make. Listening with Innuos Zen Mini mk3, Innuos PS, Wave Stream Premium, Benchmark DAC2 and the ARC amps and Tellurium cable. The sound is much more forgiving now but there is still something at one octave above Middle C that’s a bit forward. Could be a room resonance. Will also try some different cables and eating hummus. 

Reactions: ANADROL-50 and Kubs

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
. Will also try some different cables and eating hummus
Cables I can understand but how does consuming Goat vomit affect the perceived tonal balance of speakers? 

• Haha
Reactions: Rockchild

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The ATC SCM 11 is back on home demo. What a difference a higher end streamer and a rug make.
Saw your update in the stand mount thread. I admire your dedication to the task here. 
In your various dealer visits, did you ever hear any other ATCs?  I don’t think I’ve heard the 11s, but have definitely heard the bigger 19s, and of course I own the floorstanding 40s.  

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw your update in the stand mount thread. I admire your dedication to the task here. 
In your various dealer visits, did you ever hear any other ATCs?  I don’t think I’ve heard the 11s, but have definitely heard the bigger 19s, and of course I own the floorstanding 40s.  
Never heard any other ATCs as they are physically too big or too small.  Size wise the 11s are about right.

My dedication to the task is insignificant compared to the mighty @ChemMan who visited every dealer and listened to every speaker!  :notworthy:

• Haha
Reactions: ChemMan

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Am doing my future write-ups on this speaker in the standpoint shootout thread as it makes more sense, both for me and also if anyone else is seeking comparative info. 

Reactions: Nopiano

Iceman 16

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 31, 2010
Swansea
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@DomTSorry if off topic Dom, Can I just ask what were the improvements when using the Sbooster to your Aries mini? I have one powering my Qutest dac but not with the Aries mini which I use a Swagman lab lpsu. Btw I just pull the trigger on 2x Sbooster mk2 15-16v on the used market. I only need one but the seller wont split them so bought the two😀. Cheers.

DomT

Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@DomTSorry if off topic Dom, Can I just ask what were the improvements when using the Sbooster to your Aries mini? I have one powering my Qutest dac but not with the Aries mini which I use a Swagman lab lpsu. Btw I just pull the trigger on 2x Sbooster mk2 15-16v on the used market. I only need one but the seller wont split them so bought the two😀. Cheers.
Pretty sure that I posted some thoughts somewhere on here but can’t find them right now. I wrote something along the lines of less digital hash and can turn the volume up higher (from low to medium), less fatigue and more relaxing to listen to without the loss of anything musical. Might have been some other things but can’t remember and it’s back home so can’t check. In the thread I responded to someone else followed up and said the same things and added some more comments. It must have been in one of the power supply threads. 

Reactions: Iceman 16

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles