ATC SCM40 vs SCM20ASLT

Lieberung

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Oslo, Norway
AKA
Alex
Living in a small appartment with wife and two kids, there are several compromises to be met. One is downsizing my stereo. Sold my Tannoys yesterday (DC10T), and my Accuphase (E450) may be next in line (if I go active).

Heard a lot of positive things about ATC active speakers and Im considering trying them out. Only problem is that the (only) ATC dealer around is a small back yard dealer with a very limited ATC demo stock. The active Im considering is SCM20ASLT, but ATC SCM40 (not active) seems like a real bargain, then I could keep my accuphase.

Anyone heard these two? Which would be the best combo? My modest living room is 3,4m(w) x 4,4m(l) x3m (h) and we listen to a wide range of music but mainly well produced pop, prog, metal, easy listening jazz. I have an Audiolab CDQ as CD-player/DAC/Preamp which I could use as preamp for the active speakers.

Rodney Gold

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
Cape Town SA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would go for the model with the discrete midrange driver - ie the passive 40 - IMHO , having owned ATCs in the past , their real strength is in that mid driver.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I would go for the one with the SL spec driver, the SCM20ASLT, based on my experience with the SCM7, 10, 11, 19 and 40. :D

The SCM40s use the same mid driver used in the Pro-PA stuff rather than the more substantial unit used in the rest of the range (SCM50, 100 etc). I found less well integrated in the crossover (mainly treble) compared to the SCM19.

Kev

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 9, 2006
sunny Stoke on Trent
I'm currently using the SCM40 and find them rather good. The only mod I've done is to fit a 1ohm resistor after the bass input. This marginally reduces the volume to the mid and treble with respect to the bass, thus slightly boosting the bass. In my room the sound is very very good. The system in my other room has Kharma Ceramique speakers and it's a toss up which I prefer, these or the ATC's.

Can't comment on the 20's I've never heard them.

Kev

Lieberung

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Oslo, Norway
AKA
Alex
Ended up with a pair of SCM50ASLT! :doh: Had to use a trolley to get them up to 2ns floor to my appartment. Heavy as sh*t. When I finally got them out of several layers of thick and stiff cardboard boxes (even the packaging was built like a tank), and got them plugged in, wow! Completely different sound reproduction from my previous Tannoys (DC10t). Less bass and dynamics than the Tannoys (they were a bit colored). The ATCs are very neutral and transparent. I hear new layers in the music I havent heard before. The good recordings sound fantastic. Bad recordings... well, you get to hear it all.

ATC active owners, do you switch them off when not in use (i.e. at night) ? Couldn't find any guidelines in the manual regarding this.

Rodney Gold

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2013
Cape Town SA
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I owned a pair of those , tho older models but with the new tweeter - great speakers. I wish you well to use them.

I never switched them off.

ATC's tend to sound bass light as their fr response is so flat. most ppl prefer a slightly uptilted bass , but they will play whatever bass is on the recording.

I always found that my 50's really came into their own at highish levels , more so than many other speakers I owned.

Tw99

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 15, 2012
The Home Counties
Ended up with a pair of SCM50ASLT! :doh: Had to use a trolley to get them up to 2ns floor to my appartment. Heavy as sh*t. When I finally got them out of several layers of thick and stiff cardboard boxes (even the packaging was built like a tank), and got them plugged in, wow! Completely different sound reproduction from my previous Tannoys (DC10t). Less bass and dynamics than the Tannoys (they were a bit colored). The ATCs are very neutral and transparent. I hear new layers in the music I havent heard before. The good recordings sound fantastic. Bad recordings... well, you get to hear it all.
That's an interesting bit of "downsizing" you did there ! I guess those Tannoys must have been enormous.

Raindogs

Wammer
New Wammer
Jan 6, 2011
I have SCM100A's and always keep them switched off. If I am going to be listening to them I will power them on 1 - 2 hours before use.

banjoman

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2012
SW London
AKA
Deba
Bloody hell, Alex - the 50ASLTs are massive! Impressed you managed to 'downsize' them into your 'small apartment'!!

Well done!

Lieberung

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Oslo, Norway
AKA
Alex
I guess you could say I got an offer I couldn't refuse. :whistle:

The sensation I experienced between the phone call with the dealer as I accepted the offer (when I was at work) to the instant I was back home and told my spouse that "the downsize wasn't going to be that much of a downsize after all", was something I only can describe as "butterflies in my stomach". I was excited, nervous and happy at the same time. The dealer was at my door the same evening with the big boxes.

Today I have managed to play a little more, and they are even getting better! Bloody marvelous! :eek:j:

• Upvote
Reactions: PhilofCas

PhilofCas

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 23, 2011
Yorkshire
AKA
Yep
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
you little tinker you :rofl: , I can only just sneak in a pair of very small speakers, well done :^

crimsondonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2008
Need to see pics of big speakers in a small room. Always makes me feel better about my own madness!

Lieberung

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Oslo, Norway
AKA
Alex
Ok, here is previous setup:

184203d1361358728-accuphases-venner-20130220_115137.jpg

Here is the new setup:

20131022_194429.jpg

Just to show you the sixe of the room:

20131022_214857.jpg

You have to admit the Tannoys were bigger!

crimsondonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2008
Even though they're sealed units I imagine you're getting a little LF reinforcement from the rear wall?

Lieberung

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 20, 2012
Oslo, Norway
AKA
Alex
Sorry for the bad image quality in previous post.

Btw, the Tannoy Accuphase combo was great, so lack of satisfaction wasnt really the reason for the switch. One of the main reasons in additon to "downsizing" was that my wife often complained about all the bloody remotes. With the ATC actives my wife has one less remote to be bothered with! ;-)

Actually, the same day the Tannoys left the building I serously considered going for these Elac am180 (also active):

images

For a while any way. Glad I didn't.

- - - Updated - - -

Even though they're sealed units I imagine you're getting a little LF reinforcement from the rear wall?
Yes. When I have the opportunity to do some serious listening ill position them away from wall and give more room between each other (and move away the big chair).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online