Audio Consultants Show

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What a great local show at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Reading. Audio Consultants had a busy day on the Saturday and I chose lucky by going on Sunday, when it was less busy, but there were still a fair number of people there. The guys had clearly spent a lot of time and effort in getting the room to sound very good with treatments, gently added so as to not over dampen things and suitably hidden behind posters.

20220527_145006_resized.jpg

The main system was an Innous streamer, Aqua La Scala MK 2 Optologic DAC, Aqua La Diva Mk 2 Transport and a Luxman D-10 CD Player. Amplification was the Luxman 509 X integrated and the AVM A6.3. The speakers were the Kudos Titan 707. Cables were mainly Gutwire with most digital from Audioquest. And a rather nice variant of the Puritan PSM1512 with special mains sockets from Furutech, just for Audio Consultants.

20220527_145048_resized.jpg

The speakers do not look as though they have a lot in the bass department but they are Isobaric (Yes like that ONE) and have a deep bass that is tight and informative, especially with the AVM, but my preference overall is still with the Luxman amplifier. Each to their own flavour.

20220522_062428_resized.jpg

Stephen played some albums including the ones I had brought along with some nice dynamics and drama coming from the system. And then he suggested that we could compare and contrast as someone wanted to hear the differences (if any) between streaming, ripped CD and CD. Yes, the cards were stacked in favour of the streamer; it was playing hires music, the playing system was more expensive and it was using better cables. Off we went with a track brought in (didn't get the name of it) and playing high res it was clearly a great tune with a beautiful melody and the sound was relaxed and easy to listen into. Onto the ripped CD and what a difference. The bass had greater definition and what was some low notes on the bass, which I thought was people moving things upstairs, resolved into deep bass. The timing improved and there was a real lilt to the music. I really enjoyed this nice tune now. But it had a bit if an edge but I could live with it.

Finally onto the CD all on the Luxman D-10 CD player. This did everything the ripped CD did but without that edge. It was probably more dynamic.

When the comparison finished the original person said he preferred the original high res track. And Stephen was the perfect gent.

We then carried on playing tunes. The music was not always to my taste but it was easy to get lost in the music. This was a great musical system and did real dynamics, not just loudness. Yes, I preferred their demo room but this was a hotel. It was certainly good enough to show the differences in the front ends and why you would have a preference.

I know a few people could not make it (such is life) BUT if enough people hassle (call?) Audio Consultants there may be another show in late June. If it as good as this one you will not want to miss. Oh but watch the cost of beer and food as it is a posh hotel.

20220522_062122_resized.jpg

Last edited:

daveyu

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 25, 2011
London
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
What a great local show at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Reading. Audio Consultants had a busy day on the Saturday and I chose lucky by going on Sunday, when it was less busy, but there were still a fair number of people there. The guys had clearly spent a lot of time and effort in getting the room to sound very good with treatments, gently added so as to not over dampen things and suitably hidden behind posters.

20220527_145006_resized.jpg

The main system was an Innous streamer, Aqua La Scala MK 2 Optologic DAC, Aqua La Diva Mk 2 Transport and a Luxman D-10 CD Player. Amplification was the Luxman 509 X integrated and the AVM A6.3. The speakers were the Kudos Titan 707. Cables were mainly Gutwire with most digital from Audioquest. And a rather nice variant of the Puritan PSM1512 with special mains sockets from Furutech, just for Audio Consultants.

20220527_145048_resized.jpg

The speakers do not look as though they have a lot in the bass department but they are Isobaric (Yes like that ONE) and have a deep bass that is tight and informative, especially with the AVM, but my preference overall is still with the Luxman amplifier. Each to their own flavour.

20220522_062428_resized.jpg

Stephen played some albums including the ones I had brought along with some nice dynamics and drama coming from the system. And then he suggested that we could compare and contrast as someone wanted to hear the differences (if any) between streaming, ripped CD and CD. Yes, the cards were stacked in favour of the streamer; it was playing hires music, the playing system was more expensive and it was using better cables. Off we went with a track brought in (didn't get the name of it) and playing high res it was clearly a great tune with a beautiful melody and the sound was relaxed and easy to listen into. Onto the ripped CD and what a difference. The bass had greater definition and what was some low notes on the bass, which I thought was people moving things upstairs, resolved into deep bass. The timing improved and there was a real lilt to the music. I really enjoyed this nice tune now. But it had a bit if an edge but I could live with it.

Finally onto the CD all on the Luxman D-10 CD player. This did everything the ripped CD did but without that edge. It was probably more dynamic.

When the comparison finished the original person said he preferred the original high res track. And Stephen was the perfect gent.

We then carried on playing tunes. The music was not always to my taste but it was easy to get lost in the music. This was a great musical system and did real dynamics, not just loudness. Yes, I preferred their demo room but this was a hotel. It was certainly good enough to show the differences in the front ends and why you would have a preference.

I know a few people could not make it (such is life) BUT if enough people hassle (call?) Audio Consultants there may be another show in late June. If it as good as this one you will not want to miss. Oh but watch the cost of beer and food as it is a posh hotel.

20220522_062122_resized.jpg
Was a great sound from the Luxman cd and amps with kudos speakers oh and I'm in the photo can't wait for event 5 on the 25/26th
Stephen and Alex are the best

Reactions: George 47

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes, the second show from Audio Consultants is on 25th and 26th June 2022 at the Crown Plaza Hotel Reading East at the Winnersh Triangle. If you missed it last time (shame on you) then there is a second chance. For those who went to the first of these events, this one is different in that the equipment on show will be more 'attainable' than the previous systems. There will be two turntables present, one fitted with a conventional moving coil (Luxman LMC-5) and the other the DS Audio DS-003 optical cartridge. And the hotel is air-conditioned!!. Link at: https://www.audioconsultants.co.uk/the-audio-consultants-musical-event-no-5-25-26-june-2022

Please book so they know how many will be attending.

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Overview.JPG

A few weeks ago, I wrote about the recent demo held by those nice chaps at Audio Consultants in the Sandhurst Suite at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Winnersh Reading. On Sunday, 26th June, Audio Consultants held a second demonstration using different systems in the same room.

This suite is large and needs a good system to fill it with sound. On Sunday there were two good systems on show and the opportunity for some interesting comparisons.

Luxman.JPG

The two systems had two superb turntables: the Nottingham Analogue AceSpace Deck with the DS Audio DS-003 optical cartridge and the Luxman PD-151 turntable fitted with their LMC-5 cartridge and E-250 phono stage. As their total prices were similar this was a chance to compare a reasonably priced TT with an expensive cartridge (Nottingham TT) against a more expensive TT with a good, but less expensive cartridge.

Rack.JPG
The amplifiers used were the Hegel H390 integrated amplifier and the AVM PA30.3 pre-amplifier with the matching MA30.3 dual mono amplifiers. The speakers used were the excellent Wharfedale Elysian 4s that I reviewed previously https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/wharfedale-elysian-4-floorstanding-speakers.108805

I arrived in time to hear a comparison between the two turntables. Both sounded very good and I was really impressed with the huge soundstage, which is a forte of the Wharefedales. Ah, but which was the better sound. Well for me the Nottingham Analogue TT and DS Audio DS-003 cartridge gave a larger soundstage, was clearer and had slightly better dynamics. But the Luxman had more solid images with a more organic sound that sounded slightly more human. I preferred the Nottingham Analogue but you may prefer the Luxman. A track from a Billie Holliday album, from many decades ago, showed what for me was a fundamental difference in recordings. It was easy to hear that the sound quality was not up to modern standards but the sheer emotion in the singing was clear and easy to hear on the Nottingham Analogue TT. I suspect that the lack of a Digital Audio Workstation in the recording may have also helped.

There was a great variety of music played and people were free to get their own albums played which meant we had Michael Jackson, Nils Lofgren and esoteric jazz making appearances.

I enjoyed the demo, which showed that great (big) room-filling music did not always require a very expensive system. Something more attainable could do it, accepting that this system could not be described as inexpensive. It was certainly musical and has increased my interest in AVM amplifiers.

A good day.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Overview.JPG

A few weeks ago, I wrote about the recent demo held by those nice chaps at Audio Consultants in the Sandhurst Suite at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, Winnersh Reading. On Sunday, 26th June, Audio Consultants held a second demonstration using different systems in the same room.

This suite is large and needs a good system to fill it with sound. On Sunday there were two good systems on show and the opportunity for some interesting comparisons.

Luxman.JPG

The two systems had two superb turntables: the Nottingham Analogue AceSpace Deck with the DS Audio DS-003 optical cartridge and the Luxman PD-151 turntable fitted with their LMC-5 cartridge and E-250 phono stage. As their total prices were similar this was a chance to compare a reasonably priced TT with an expensive cartridge (Nottingham TT) against a more expensive TT with a good, but less expensive cartridge.

Rack.JPG
The amplifiers used were the Hegel H390 integrated amplifier and the AVM PA30.3 pre-amplifier with the matching MA30.3 dual mono amplifiers. The speakers used were the excellent Wharfedale Elysian 4s that I reviewed previously https://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum/threads/wharfedale-elysian-4-floorstanding-speakers.108805

I arrived in time to hear a comparison between the two turntables. Both sounded very good and I was really impressed with the huge soundstage, which is a forte of the Wharefedales. Ah, but which was the better sound. Well for me the Nottingham Analogue TT and DS Audio DS-003 cartridge gave a larger soundstage, was clearer and had slightly better dynamics. But the Luxman had more solid images with a more organic sound that sounded slightly more human. I preferred the Nottingham Analogue but you may prefer the Luxman. A track from a Billie Holliday album, from many decades ago, showed what for me was a fundamental difference in recordings. It was easy to hear that the sound quality was not up to modern standards but the sheer emotion in the singing was clear and easy to hear on the Nottingham Analogue TT. I suspect that the lack of a Digital Audio Workstation in the recording may have also helped.

There was a great variety of music played and people were free to get their own albums played which meant we had Michael Jackson, Nils Lofgren and esoteric jazz making appearances.

I enjoyed the demo, which showed that great (big) room-filling music did not always require a very expensive system. Something more attainable could do it, accepting that this system could not be described as inexpensive. It was certainly musical and has increased my interest in AVM amplifiers.

A good day.
Thanks for the write up. It’s interesting to hear your thoughts on these two turntables. I think that the Ace Spacedeck is great value for money but I have never heard the DS cartridge. Your comment about Luxman sounding human is the reason why I bought it’s bigger brother the PD171. I think that the Ace Spacedeck would be in the ‘human’ sounding category as well and wondering how much the DS cartridge took away that ‘human’ feeling?

George 47

Subjectivist
Staff member
Jan 1, 2006
United Kingdom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the write up. It’s interesting to hear your thoughts on these two turntables. I think that the Ace Spacedeck is great value for money but I have never heard the DS cartridge. Your comment about Luxman sounding human is the reason why I bought it’s bigger brother the PD171. I think that the Ace Spacedeck would be in the ‘human’ sounding category as well and wondering how much the DS cartridge took away that ‘human’ feeling?
Difficult to say as it was a system I am not too familiar with and the room was strange. I would guess(?) that the DS cartridge is very clear, fast and dynamic whereas the normal MC is a balance of all attributes. If you like detail and speed then a DS would be ideal. The Nottingham Spacedeck gave a great account of itself and is less expensive.

Reactions: newlash09 and DomT

daveyu

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Mar 25, 2011
London
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Real surprise for me on Sunday was how good the Hegel and Amphion 7ls combination sounded with either turntable

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles