Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Quick version;

£1,150 with Border Patrol or £750 without.

One of the best examples you are likely to find of this classic amp / combo

(much) Longer version;

One of the issues with box swapping is that you have to move kit on. That is particularly difficult when you have such a strong emotional attachment to the piece in question however irrational that may be for what is just a box of electronics.

So here it is, my much loved AI S500 integrated amp with separate Border Patrol p/s. I have owned this for nearly 30 years, bought from Definitive Audio when Kevin was still trading from his terrace in Nottingham (I’ll never forget the demo with it hooked up to his Air Scouts!). The Border Patrol was added in 2001, if memory serves, so likely to have been among one of the first done.

Hopefully doesn’t need much introduction as it rightly considered something of a classic, both for its innovative design at the time and justified reputation for highly musical performance.

Some key points you will want to know;

• The amp has been in regular use except for a period of 10 years when it was stored due to house moves and kids. Been back in use for last 2 years.
  • Has been regularly serviced over the years firstly by David Wright and most recently David Coe. Just over a year ago David Coe completed an extensive round of upgrades including new caps, volume pot and tweaks to circuits with a particular focus on the built in MM phono stage. Cost was over £300
  • Current valves are EH EL34’s with JJ’s and a very nice NOS Tungsram as signal valves. All have been fitted within the last 2 years.  Some nice tube rolling options with other EL 34's, 5881 or KT77's possible and the circuit is auto biasing
  • Balance and tape loop circuits have been bypassed 
  • This is the early model with the superior Hinchley transformers 
  • The MM phono stage is very good, when I switched to my VIDA recently there really wasn't as big a gap in performance as I was expecting 
  • Set up in standard push pull mode it's output is a punchy 25W
  • Condition is very good, barely a mark on the black crackle finish, the Perspex cover is scratch free however I cannot currently track down the pins that hold the Perspex in place (I always preferred the looks without this cover so they have been stored somewhere). Assume that they won’t be included, but alternative solutions such as nylon hex bolts would be easy to source

The Border Patrol is a choke regulated supply that overrides the the HT supply in the amp. This is also a well known upgrade for this amp adding significant extra control on complex passages of music and in the bass. It utilises a GZ34 valve (correct Mullard version replaced last year) and a substantial transformer. It connects to the amp via a dedicated umbilical lead and is automatically turned on and off through the amp power switch. This is the standard version that now retails around the £1200 mark. This is also in good condition but with one scratch on the top left of the black casing I have tried to show in the photos.

I think you will struggle to find a better one than this both cosmetically and crucially in terms of its service history.

I would be looking for £1,150 for the combo. It is possible to separate the Border Patrol from the amp (I would need to get David Coe to do this) and I would sell the amp separately for £750 if that is an option you would prefer.  The Border Patrol is a versatile unit that can be added to various valve devices and to be honest I would want to keep it for future use unless I get get at least the £400 price differential.

I don't have original boxes and to be honest posting valve gear is not an enticing prospect so either pick up from Folkestone, Kent or I can meet part way e.g. M25 area.

image.jpeg

IMG_20201216_193153.2.jpg

nut

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2014
Eton wick, berkshire
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For the missing pins......metal rivets sold on eBay make excellent replacements.

Cheap...and lots of different finishes (back, silver..etc etc). Look better than the original plastic pins. 

I used them on my s700.

• Upvote
Reactions: Lokes and lostwin

Lokes

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 15, 2010
Pontypridd
AKA
Aardvark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A Bargain.

I own both of these items although in my case the BP supply is paired with a Stereo 20,

and the AI runs on it's own supply.

I shudder to think what items built to this quality would cost new.

Thanks for the tip on the rivets

lostwin

Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Deposit received so happy for this to be moved to Sold items.

Apart from it still being a really good sounding amp, what I think is sometimes under acknowledged is  the ground breaking visual design of these AI products at the time. The looks don’t seem unusual now, but having the valves on display as a decorative element in the design started here.

Reactions: Lokes

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles