Wanted Audio innovations second audios + preamp.

Wanted

Steve Luck

New Wammer
Jan 8, 2024
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Guys - so I bought the HiFi sound pair of Audio Innovations monoblocks. They’ve proved to be a bit of a mystery. 6C4C power sections and original 2,4,8 ohm outlets but driver sections are from latter version amps with ECC802S. Installed as delivered. Internal metal work doesn’t match, one amp has a lot more ventilation slots than the other and one has painted bell ends on the output transformer and the other chrome. I’m long term fan having bought a 500 series brand new when lived in the UK. So the second Audios are now with me in NZ. The second Audios have lasted a few weeks before giving me minor trouble. At the moment I’m getting an inrush current type noise from one of the two amps on switch on. No intention of shipping them back to UK under the warranty given. So I’ve gotten busy with the soldering iron. So far all power circuit caps and main rectifier swapped for new and the resistors on the main caps, mostly because one had two resistors in series and the other two in parallel (amounting to close to the same value). No change in inrush noise. I’ve got a capacitor tester on order that will do ESR to check the remainder. What’s the story on the filament rectifiers? If they are providing current to direct heated triodes can they effect sound quality? What part of the amp did border patrol units supply power to. I understand amps with the conversion retained the IEC mains input and Border patrol by passed only some of the amps internals.

Audioshack

Wammer
Apr 7, 2019
Hi Steve. Do you mean ECC 82s? Can you send me some photos of the internals please?

Best regards, Gary.

Steve Luck

New Wammer
Jan 8, 2024
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Steve. Do you mean ECC 82s? Can you send me some photos of the internals please?

Best regards, Gary.
ECC802S -ECC82 and 12AU7 are all interchangeable. Can’t find a way to load photos into this post. Definitely a mash up of old 1st gen amps and newer front ends. Talked (emailed) Guy Sargeant about it who suggested I’d got the best of both.

Audioshack

Wammer
Apr 7, 2019
Does anyone have any original packaging for the 1st/2nd Audios - Series 500/700/800/1000s please?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online