Audiofool v Pro pricing

The Swedish Chef

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2005
Göteborg, , Sweden
AKA
Philip
I had a very interesting afternoon listening to 4 pairs speakers in the current Focal range through various Advance Acoustics electronics, whilst I'm not going to write a full review as I do not have enough experience with either brand to say what exactly each component was adding to the sound, I will make the following observation.

I listened to a pair of Focal studio monitors that had a Beryllium tweeter and a built in power amp for the somewhat reasonably priced one grand!

"The Solo6 Be is an active, 2 way, professional nearfield speaker (2 built-in amplifiers - 150 + 100W RMS), comprised of a 6.5 inch (16.5cm) “W†cone sandwich composite driver, loaded by a large section laminar bass port and a Focal inverted dome pure Beryllium tweeter" - from website

a quick google found this:

http://www.soundtools.co.uk/Templates_T1/Focal/Solo6_Sale.htm#

This seems to be far cheaper than the price of the cheapest home range of speakers with the B tweeters and with the bonus of a pair of mono blocks thrown in!

As a side note the new Chorus 826 and 836 are nice looking speakers that can really sing and may well warrant a home demo in the near future.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
i have though that aswell, these are another example...

http://www.dv247.com/invt/25947/

http://forums.audioholics.com/forums/showthread.php?t=17004

http://www.matrixhifi.com/ppec_eng.htm

Behringer_A500.jpg

and only £120...
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
All I can say is 'wow'!
shock.gif.7732780fe7e208b945ce79ca96402fca.gif

But some audiophools might argue that these pro-oriented components might be 'too transparent' or 'too revealing'. etc....

... and I liked the dbx between the high end and cheap system too.
biggrin.png

S

s2000db

Brilliant test, all I can add is, that it's quite clear that a collapsible wooden chair support stand is responsible for the superior sound quality, and I'm only surprised that Russ Andrews has not yet released for sale at £4995.95. (obviously cheap when you compare it to system B)....

:raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao::raoflmfao:

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
Interesting stuff, the only time I've heard one of those amps it was OK tonally not harsh or anything.

would I have one? No. Would I have one if it had a different badge on the front? No.

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
i have been tempted in the past with those, for £120, i doubt you could do better.

Ant, was there any reason why you would not have one, or just as it would not fit your system (hi-eff speakers etc...)

smile.png

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There are plenty of amps/speakers out there which straddle the pro-audio/hifi divide. In terms of amplification, I really like the Hafler DH220. Plenty of grunt and resolution without the 'sterility' associated with such kit.

As for speakers... Dynaudio, PMC, Jamo, JBL, Tannoy... Plenty of pro-audio variants and models to chose from at decent prices. Not 'hifi' though are they? You couldn't partner any of these with Kondo... Or could you?

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Half the trouble is having the balls to try it. Not as easy to sell on if you don't like it, and you can't demo the stuff readily.

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
You can demo it easily jsut not with your kit at home
smile.png

Behringer stuff used to last 1 minute for every quid you spent on it
biggrin.png
smile.png

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
The Stellavox kit is pro kit..and its very nice. If i could find another ST2 DAC in JP i'd buy it without hesitation.

Also the PMC AML1 speakers...very good no frills active speakers.

As with Pro kit if you can match the right bits then i don't see a problem. Truth is most audio dealers don't stock pro kit so most can't hear the difference and so most don't risk a purchase.

In JP you find a lot of people using pro power amps to drive speakers...especially the big Crown and Accuphase Pro amps...nothing wrong with that at all.

Me...i just love transparency and a bit of distortion to make some stuff sound more to my preferences.

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
Good to see the Matrix article got a better reception this time then what it got in this forum back in July last year.

That Focal studio monitor look very nice. Might even consider that rather then the AVI active version after all. As the boss said it feels like a leap of faith. On the other hand it does make you wonder why the domestics passive version of their range are so much more expensive.

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Actually just read the article..yeah fair enough i think. I think there must be a good synergy with the ATC speakers, themselves being from the pro arena.

I think the amp is definitely worth a punt if you have speakers that would match it. My speakers prefer tubes though...although i'd like to try it on some Yammies.

Think...SB3 to DAC to cheap amp like that...nice. Maybe chuck in some tone controls if the sound was too precise...fun as hell and cheap as frites.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oindnsh3