Audiolab 6000A gone pop - Replacement needed

Linear

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2022
Lancashire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently upgraded my amp to a 6000A, I was happy with it, but now the RH channel has died.
I could just replace it with another 6000A but maybe I should try something different?

I only need one line level input for my DAC, speakers are Linn 109 stand mount and I only listen at low'ish volume, budget is circa £700.

DiggyGun

DiggyGun
Wammer Plus
Jul 15, 2020
UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recently upgraded my amp to a 6000A, I was happy with it, but now the RH channel has died.
I could just replace it with another 6000A but maybe I should try something different?

I only need one line level input for my DAC, speakers are Linn 109 stand mount and I only listen at low'ish volume, budget is circa £700.

Don’t know where you are based, but as you like it, why not get it repaired.

Check out Class A Audio, based in Sheffield, who service and repair amps.

DG…

Reactions: Linear

Linear

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2022
Lancashire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks DG.
I am in Blackburn, so I have Wilkinson's hifi near by in Nelson, they are good with hifi and do repairs.
The amp is only a few months old, so I think a return is probably my best option.

Reactions: bigrod

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am a big fan of the MF M2Si which is bang on budget. Think I saw somewhere a retailer offering them for £599 but normally £699. Don't know how it will work with Linn speakers but IMO it is a solid option especially for someone needing line level only

JAD

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks DG.
I am in Blackburn, so I have Wilkinson's hifi near by in Nelson, they are good with hifi and do repairs.
The amp is only a few months old, so I think a return is probably my best option.
Will it not still be under warranty?

Linear

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2022
Lancashire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@JAD yes its under warranty (y)

The MF M2Si is one of the amps I am considering, for the reasons you mention i.e. price and features. The Rega Brio also fits the bill but I think I prefer the MF.

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If its under warranty then get the free repair, whilst your at it get a loan amp from the dealer so your not without music. It might also be worth mentioning that you've 'lost confidence' in Audiolab due to it playing up after such a short time. That way the loaner could be seen as a trial with a view to changing. Does the dealer sell any brands you might be interested in?

Reactions: Linear and Tony_J

Linear

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 7, 2022
Lancashire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If its under warranty then get the free repair, whilst your at it get a loan amp from the dealer so your not without music. It might also be worth mentioning that you've 'lost confidence' in Audiolab due to it playing up after such a short time. That way the loaner could be seen as a trial with a view to changing. Does the dealer sell any brands you might be interested in?

I bought it from Amazon so my options are, replacement or refund.
Fortunately I still have my old amp, Linn Majik 1, I already have it up and running (y)

Lurch

Piss-taker & Gobshite Par Excelle'nce
Wammer Plus
Sep 17, 2016
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Go refund then, after which I would go for a bricks & mortar dealer. Amazon is okay for Chifi but proper gear should really be sourced from a place that will support what it sells.

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Lurch is right on the money here. The alternative, if you can face it, is a second hand amp from a known reliable manufacturer. You have a Linn amp, presumably that hasn't let you down?

Most "pukka" hifi manufacturers amps are built to last. I would be inclined to avoid MF, like Audiolab, for precisely this reason; they are built to a price and, whilst performing well at that point, are not likely to see a decade out. A Quad, Meridian, Sugden, EAR amp (just to randomly pick a few) almost certainly will, and can be serviced in the future if required. A Bryston, for agreeably more serious bucks even second hand, comes with a 20 year transferable manufacturers warranty.

It's not difficult to build an amp well, it just requires the brand's reputation to require it, and the bean counters to leave the designers alone.

Reactions: rabski and Linear

bencat

Amplifier Destroyer
Wammer Plus
Feb 6, 2010
Liverpool
AKA
Andrew
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It was a used amp when I bought it twelve years ago, I have use it nearly every day and it has never missed a beat.
Then if you like what it does perhaps consider a used Linn further up the ladder which will offer you better sound quality . With some of the trade in deals going on for Linn a number of the dealers may well have some excellent trade in amplifiers at good prices and with some back up as well .

Mr.Ian

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 4, 2009
North Nottingham
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Gordon Sheppard close to Crystal Peaks is my go to repair person in Sheffield. Good quality work at sensible prices.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles