Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi all

I've got an AudioMods series V micrometer tonearm on my TT. At my bake off at the weekend the stylus kept catching on the vinyl as the arm lift was used, I hadn't noticed that happen before.

last night while playing records I realised the arm lift was not staying locked at the top of its stroke. So as soon as you lift the arm using the arm lift it starts going back down and therefore gives no time to que up at the start of a record or swing it back safely at the end.

Can this be fixed easily or is it a trip back to audiomods?

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
There's an allen key on the side,  lift and turn the arm lift a little.  Its a Rega,  nothing too complicated 

Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Thanks Mark

Is that the allen key on the black plastic bit?

How does that make the lift stop falling all on its own? Doesn't that just attach the plastic bit to the top of the piston?

If there is another allen cap screw I can't see it.

Just got home and tried moving the black plastic curved arm rest. That hasn't fixed it. the rest still doesn't stay at the top of the stroke to hold the arm above the vinyl as you sue up the record. 

Last edited by a moderator:

epistaxsis

not enough bass
Wammer
May 24, 2011
London
AKA
Keith Dunlop
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's a known problem with Rega arm lift mechanisms apparently.

Over time they can stop being able to stay up, as you have described.

When this happened to me I just learnt to live with it by holding the lever back whilst I was moving the arm over the record.  :)

You should speak to Audiomods.

divedeepdog

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2011
notts/derby
AKA
mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
There's a grub screw in the arm base,  thats the one to move.  Adjust the raiser to suit

The arm lift wasn't going up to its final resting place because it was catching the base of the arm,  rotate it (slightly) so it can travel its full travel,  it should stay at that point.

Lift it up so its further off your vinyl.

I've got suitable silicone if thats low.

Last edited by a moderator:

Spider

Wammer
HiFi Trade
Mar 30, 2015
Chesterfield
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just as an update.

I contacted Jeff at Audiomods for advice he suggested fitting a new arm lift. He supplied me with a brand new lift with polished top to match my arm for the princely sum of £18.50 delivered to my doorstep. He also provided a full set of instructions on how to fit it and told me to ring him if I had any issues with fitting the new arm lift.

I had no trouble fitting it and all is well with my Audiomods arm again. Not only does Jeff produce a super tonearm he backs that up with great customer service.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles