Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 20, 2007
N.Yorkshire.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The J’s might be up for sale. Think we’re moving house so smaller speakers might
be required.

Last edited:
Reactions: hifinutt

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Hi fellow AN enthusiasts. So I have finally decided to bite the bullet and go all-in on AN. I still have my trusty old AN Oto SE and DAC 2.1x Signature but now I am looking at a pair of AN speakers to complete my setup and replace my T+A speakers(which still sound fantastic).
I have seen a pair of AN-E SPX in Austria advertised for 1700€ - which will be more like 2000€ once shipping to Germany is added.
Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? I believe they are from the 90s - is it foolish to buy speakers this old? Should I be looking instead for a more modern pair? Would Ks or Js suit my setup better?
Any advice greatly received. Thanks

Reactions: Tarzan and DomT

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi fellow AN enthusiasts. So I have finally decided to bite the bullet and go all-in on AN. I still have my trusty old AN Oto SE and DAC 2.1x Signature but now I am looking at a pair of AN speakers to complete my setup and replace my T+A speakers(which still sound fantastic).
I have seen a pair of AN-E SPX in Austria advertised for 1700€ - which will be more like 2000€ once shipping to Germany is added.
Does anyone have any experience with these speakers? I believe they are from the 90s - is it foolish to buy speakers this old? Should I be looking instead for a more modern pair? Would Ks or Js suit my setup better?
Are they a chipboard cabinet or ply? I am not keen on the sound of the chipboard models. If ply then they should be fine. AN changed how they fit the cabinet together in the past few years and a new pair is probably a bit more dynamic sounding due to a more rigid cabinet. Just surmising as I haven’t done an A/B comparison.

• Thanks
Reactions: hearingisbelieving

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Having heard 'old' J's and K'.s and now own 2018 K's l would say there is a big, big difference in sound between old an new- the new versions are miles better- what size is your room out of interest?

hearingisbelieving

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2011
Bendorf, Germany
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Are they a chipboard cabinet or ply? I am not keen on the sound of the chipboard models. If ply then they should be fine. AN changed how they fit the cabinet together in the past few years and a new pair is probably a bit more dynamic sounding due to a more rigid cabinet. Just surmising as I haven’t done an A/B comparison.

Having heard 'old' J's and K'.s and now 2018 K's l would say there is a big, big difference in sound between old an new- the new versions are miles better- what size is your room out of interest?

thank you both for your helpful replies. The Es I was looking at had the chipboard cabinets. Looks like I will hold out for a newer pair if there is a hugs improvement over the older iterations.
My room is about 5x6m

Reactions: DomT and Tarzan

marko

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Feb 20, 2007
N.Yorkshire.
AKA
Mark
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If your budget allows, go for a newer pair. As Tarzan says, the veneers are amazing, as is the cabinet work; like these! Either J’s or E’s will work in your room.

Attachments

• E5681335-5373-4DAB-9A53-EF13E998A837.jpeg
    E5681335-5373-4DAB-9A53-EF13E998A837.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 5
  • 2B034585-D865-4693-8C06-90EB42C31E57.jpeg
    2B034585-D865-4693-8C06-90EB42C31E57.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Apologies if this has been discussed before.
The IQ3 is a wonderful cartridge and shares the same stylus and cantilever as the Io.
I currently run an IQ3 on a AN arm Three/2 - is the Io something to aspire to for a
last ever upgrade?

Reactions: Tarzan

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The IQ3 is a wonderful cartridge and shares the same stylus and cantilever as the Io.
I currently run an IQ3 on a AN arm Three/2 - is the Io something to aspire to for a
last ever upgrade?

Er- YES!:geek:

Remember you have get a poncy ( expensive) AN step up for it too....l think.

Buffalo

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 13, 2005
Kent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
last ever upgrade?
Hi Von Krolock,
Having moved from the IQ3 to an IO2 on a AN arm 3/3 it’s also a big 👍🏻 from me.
I love the IQ3 (Still run one on another TT) but for me the IO1 comfortably betters it in all areas as I guess it should for the price ! It‘s everything you like about the IQ3 but does the ”HiFi” things better…air, detail, bass etc plus an extra dollop of AN texture/emotion. It does need an SUT but not necessarily a poncy AN one 😀

Oh, and shameless plug ! I have a IO1 and AN SUT sitting here feeling sorry for themselves as I‘ve just moved up the AN ladder.

Cheers, Steve

huwge

Wammer
Wammer
May 11, 2007
Cymru
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
moved from Ortofon jubilee to Io1 then 2, big improvement each time
my arm is not AN but sme v and I'd quite like to compare them but too much faf to organise and I'm more than happy anyway
My sut is an AN but only a 3 and again I'd like to hear a 6 or higher but....

Reactions: Von Krolock

Von Krolock

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 30, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks Gents.
The AN level hierarchy seems to be a sign of the company's commitment.
The IQ3 (into an MF Nuvista phono) has a magnificent way with acoustic music & much else.
The upgrade to Io and step up is now an aspiration.
Cheers.

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Amazing customer service from Audionote this week- broke the plastic arm stay on Sunday on my Arm3v2 ( don't ask ) called Audionote Monday AM, and a new one arrived Tuesday PM- cannot say fairer than that.

Result!

Reactions: robin and Mike_H

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How reliable are AN CD transports? Would it be risky buying a 11 yr old CDT2?
I'd be tempted to contact AN to ensure they carry lasers etc for that specific machine - don't want to come across as a stalker, but your kit list says you've got a CEC transport - are you hoping to better that? There may be better options than AN

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles