Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello all
I've finally started doing speaker auditions and am planning on doing some more in the near future.
Up until now I've visited 3 dealers. Every audition was done with my own amplifier (Creek 100A).
I listen to a lot of rock and jazz. Some funk and salsa as well.

Dealer 1:
- JBL L100 / Klipsch Forte 4 / Tannoy Legacy Cheviot / ATC SCM40
Overall preference for the Tannoy and the ATC (although very different). I might have difficulties placing the Tannoy.
The ATC might be hard to drive for the Creek. I'm worried that will lead to more boxswapping in the near future.

Dealer 2:
- KEF R7 / Spendor D7.2 / B&W 702S2 Signature
I found the KEF too dark sounding and the B&W impressive but fatiguing. The Spendor was best of the three.
Dealer suggested I listen to the R11 before making a decision, but these might be too big.
I found a pair of Verity Finns stashed away, these might be worth hearing as I recall liking their sound from a listen at another store.

Dealer 3:
- Spendor A7 / Spendor D7.2 / Proac D20R / PMC 25.24i
Comparing the Spendors to the others, they had a more forward sound. I read the word clarity in another review, that might cover what I heard as well.
I liked the more laid back presentation of the ProAc and PMC more (the PMC is more expensive though).

I'm veering towards the Proac at this stage, this is my current frontrunner.
Does anyone have a good description of the D30RS compared to the D20R?

Another suggestion I got is listening to the Focal Aria 936/948, which are the floorstanding models of my current speaker (the 906).
Any suggestions I need to audition before making the home demo commitment?
Anyone heard the Verity Finn? Other suspects are Dali Rubicon and Dynaudio Evoke 50. Any thoughts about those?
What about Neat, Totem, Sonus Faber?

Reactions: Fretbuzz and DomT

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hello all
I've finally started doing speaker auditions and am planning on doing some more in the near future.
Up until now I've visited 3 dealers. Every audition was done with my own amplifier (Creek 100A).
I listen to a lot of rock and jazz. Some funk and salsa as well.

Dealer 1:
- JBL L100 / Klipsch Forte 4 / Tannoy Legacy Cheviot / ATC SCM40
Overall preference for the Tannoy and the ATC (although very different). I might have difficulties placing the Tannoy.
The ATC might be hard to drive for the Creek. I'm worried that will lead to more boxswapping in the near future.

Dealer 2:
- KEF R7 / Spendor D7.2 / B&W 702S2 Signature
I found the KEF too dark sounding and the B&W impressive but fatiguing. The Spendor was best of the three.
Dealer suggested I listen to the R11 before making a decision, but these might be too big.
I found a pair of Verity Finns stashed away, these might be worth hearing as I recall liking their sound from a listen at another store.

Dealer 3:
- Spendor A7 / Spendor D7.2 / Proac D20R / PMC 25.24i
Comparing the Spendors to the others, they had a more forward sound. I read the word clarity in another review, that might cover what I heard as well.
I liked the more laid back presentation of the ProAc and PMC more (the PMC is more expensive though).

I'm veering towards the Proac at this stage, this is my current frontrunner.
Does anyone have a good description of the D30RS compared to the D20R?

Another suggestion I got is listening to the Focal Aria 936/948, which are the floorstanding models of my current speaker (the 906).
Any suggestions I need to audition before making the home demo commitment?
Anyone heard the Verity Finn? Other suspects are Dali Rubicon and Dynaudio Evoke 50. Any thoughts about those?
What about Neat, Totem, Sonus Faber?
I would give Monitor Audio Golds a listen.
And if possible try to arrange a home trial before committing.

Reactions: Ceko

Ceko

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
Zuid Holland, NL
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I would give Monitor Audio Golds a listen.
And if possible try to arrange a home trial before committing.
I definitely agree with this (both the MA Golds and the home demo parts :) ).
I’ve made the mistake once to base a purchase off of a dealer demo. That was an expensive lesson learned.

Reactions: tuga

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What part of the frequency curve would explain this? I'm trying to relate the listening to the curves.
You should look at directivity and response above 6-700Hz.
Kef speakers use the same waveguided mid-tweeter coax across the range and the baffle is of identical width.
Since all mains R-series are all the same width and crossed roughly at the same frequencies the only thing that changes is the bass extension.
It is the narrowing dispersion of the coax that makes it sound darker because there is a lot less room interference/reflections in the midrange and treble

Reactions: uzzy

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You should look at directivity and response above 6-700Hz.
Kef speakers use the same waveguided mid-tweeter coax across the range and the baffle is of identical width.
Since all mains R-series are all the same width and crossed roughly at the same frequencies the only thing that changes is the bass extension.
It is the narrowing dispersion of the coax that makes it sound darker because there is a lot less room interference/reflections in the midrange and treble
So the darker sound is just the absence of reflected sound? In that case, more true to the source when not listening near field?

tuga

. . .
Wammer
Aug 17, 2007
Oxen's ford, UK
AKA
Ricardo
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very varied speakers here. Pick your favourites and then try them at home. The Spendor D7.2 imo are the best of the crop in the right environment but I’d never spend this sort of money without a home demo. A good dealer would do this.
The creek as good as it is would be holding back on the potential of many of the speakers you are demoing. I hate to say it but they require something more capable to show you what can be achieved.

Reactions: Pedro2 and tuga

Friendly Ghost

Wammer
Dec 17, 2018
Antwerp, Belgium
AKA
Casper
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Very varied speakers here. Pick your favourites and then try them at home. The Spendor D7.2 imo are the best of the crop in the right environment but I’d never spend this sort of money without a home demo. A good dealer would do this.
The creek as good as it is would be holding back on the potential of many of the speakers you are demoing. I hate to say it but they require something more capable to show you what can be achieved.
I'm well aware. But at this time it's powerful enough to drive them allright and consider an amp upgrade in the coming years.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm well aware. But at this time it's powerful enough to drive them allright and consider an amp upgrade in the coming years.
It’s not all about power. The D7.2’s are a relatively easy load. An amp will need to satisfy all spectrums of the speaker to achieve the best sonic ability. It would be like a car using only half of its power and achieving average performance.
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not trying to talk you out of it but given the cost of the speakers (£5600), they can truly reward but with the right kit. If you like Proacs, the D20R you mentioned are cheaper and upgrading the amp within the budget too, would give far better results than the creek and Spendors.

You asked for advice/reaction to your post and all I’m doing is imo, giving you help to make a wise move/investment.

Rockchild

Formerly Radiant Red 🎶
Wammer Plus
Jun 22, 2011
Launceston UK
AKA
Jonathan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to add. When you audition speakers at the dealer make sure you are familiar with the music being played. Ime sometimes the quality of the recording puts me off.
Indeed Jayson. Wise advise. Also they might not have your Cliff Richard collection in theirs 👍🏻😂

Reactions: Iceman 16

Psilonaught

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 16, 2007
Saffron Walden
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I don't see any information about your intended listening room? If you have space you have the budget for planar speakers....

Nativebon

MUZIC FIRST
Wammer Plus
Aug 9, 2018
London UK
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Often left out of recommendations but superb value for money, are speakers by Acoustic Energy. Here’s a blog about the AE509 from AudioT that recently popped into my Facebook feed:

https://blog.audiot.co.uk/blog/2022...0T4ubiFEPWb3gv60bs1MVRE5ohDfx4nx7Q5gCmgGNbf1w
I second this. On my over a year quest for speakers I actually had these at home for 2 weeks. Absolutely brilliant speakers in my opinion. Does just about everything right. The only problem I had was over powering bass for my room size. The 509s go very low but clean with it.
The AE509 was never boomy or bloated just was over powering for my room.
I'll say try and audition the 509s but results will largely depend on room size and layout.
My room is 4 x 5 meters.

Reactions: Pedro2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.