Auralic - disingenuous or merely incompetent?

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Bluesound app really is no where near as good and comprehensive as Roon, far far from it.

However the BluOS is a good basic package and one of the better ones, its far better than the Auralic Lightning DS App for sure.
Interesting. I've tried Roon for their free trial but decided there was very little that Roon offered that BluOS didn't. In fact the only worthwhile feature I found that Roon offers that BluOS doesn't is their "Radio" feature where additional tracks are added to the expired playlist based on previous selection. Good, but I found this list degenerated quickly into ADVISORY labelled tracks that I didn't want. Also Roon combines subscribed-to streaming service offerings with one's own Library of music, but I'd prefer to chosse where I look for music first - but that's a minor advantage / disadvantage of Roon!

What else does Roon offer that BluOS doesn't? I'd like to know as I'm thinking of looking for a possibly upgrade from my M33 and may have to return to Roon as many streamers (including the subject of this thread) fall well short of providing a proper control app..

Thanks. Peter

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When any other software player can come close to this, I might consider it.

As to quality, Roon processes at 64-bit. You can do pretty much whatever you like and it'll be essentially lossless. It's a phenomenal piece of kit.
I have no first hand experience with Roon's DSP, but the ones I've used (Dirac LIve, RoomPerfect, MARS and Anthem) have all caused the top end to deteriorate slightly. But that's because these systems have been bult into full-range amps. The DSP that's built in to my hybrid speakers with active subs is OK because it's placed after the crossover and only the bass frequencies are processed. That's in my view how room correction should be applied. With your system I presume you have multiple amps for each driver. Do you need DSP on the upper frrquency drivers? Could you not protect these higher requencies entirely from the additional processing - at whatever bit rate?

I'm generally against "room correction DSP" as I believe convention means of speaker setup and adjustment, choice of speaker type and room furnishings should be all that's required to achieve great sound. Those with AV systems or multiple subs etc make life difficult for themselves and often feel they can't set all this stuff up themselves and resort to DSP to do the job electonically.
I have no idea. I can't use it until it gets Roon tested/certified.
But surely Auralic offers some primative control app? Or use the streaming service's' own app, not that I've ever tried, but I believe Tidal and Qobuz offer such a facility. In any event you could check out the worthiness of the unit's DAC and amp features by feeding it signal from your existing streamer.

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
With your system I presume you have multiple amps for each driver.

10 drivers, 10 amps.

Do you need DSP on the upper frrquency drivers?

Yep:
- 24dB/octave crossovers
- level adjustment (to within 0.1dB)
- time alignment (to within 0.01ms)

Try achieving that without DSP ;).

I'm generally against "room correction DSP"...

I'm not doing any room correction.

But surely Auralic offers some primative control app?

Sure... but you need way more than a simple control app to have a fully active setup.

Reactions: Fullrange

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Interesting. I've tried Roon for their free trial but decided there was very little that Roon offered that BluOS didn't. In fact the only worthwhile feature I found that Roon offers that BluOS doesn't is their "Radio" feature where additional tracks are added to the expired playlist based on previous selection. Good, but I found this list degenerated quickly into ADVISORY labelled tracks that I didn't want. Also Roon combines subscribed-to streaming service offerings with one's own Library of music, but I'd prefer to chosse where I look for music first - but that's a minor advantage / disadvantage of Roon!

What else does Roon offer that BluOS doesn't? I'd like to know as I'm thinking of looking for a possibly upgrade from my M33 and may have to return to Roon as many streamers (including the subject of this thread) fall well short of providing a proper control app..

Thanks. Peter

Just as one example, as I havent the time to type out all the benefits as there are just too many and this topic has been done to death on all the forums, it has multi device/multi room control for any manufacturer - no other software does this.

I can have say multiple systems in multiple rooms, be it full systems or bluetooth/network/airplay speakers and control them all from one interface, share the same streaming account, link them all together so they play in sync or play independently etc.

Roon Radio as you've mentioned is excellent, and I've found untold amounts of new artists because of it. Its my favourite feature.

Roon Arc, another great feature.

The interfacing is also much better than BluOS.

hearhere

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 9, 2013
Portsmouth, UK
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
PS - I've just realised that the unit you've bought is solely a streamer so you can't check out its other features! How does Auratic suggest you control it? If it's not Roon ready, they must surely have some alternative methd as buyers shouldn't be left floundering with an uncontrollable box!

MotherSky

The stone that killed two birds
Wammer
Jun 5, 2010
Shropshire
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Auralic lightning app should work just fine. But it's of no use to me.
The Lightning app does indeed work just fine - I have no need for the facilities of Roon, and found eI prefer the sound of the native software. I have the Aries G1, and use it with an Uptone IsoRegen - this provides galvanic isolation of the USB. I have also replaced the power supply with the Hoer Wege kit - neither of these steps were particularly cheap, but I would put good money on it sounding far better than the G1.1 - I am certainly not feeling any need to upgrade
For the record, I have had no issues with Auralic customer services, but they are not a big concern, and it's often better to look at the Auralic forum to get immediate answers to any questions you may have.
That speaker array looks awesome btw :) - MH

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
... I would put good money on it sounding far better than the G1.1.

I'd put good money on the stock G1 sounding identical to the new G1.1.

If you'd like a nice silver base plate and the ability to mount an internal SSD, then consider upgrading from a G1 to a G1.1, otherwise no point... as I've found... the hard way :mad:.

But if you're new to all this and are looking for a nice, easy-to-live-with streamer, the G1.1 may be just the ticket.

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to wrap this thread up...

Yesterday, when I tried to select the G1.1 from Roon, I got a message saying that it was not Roon certified.

I set the G1.1 back up again today, and the first thing it did was to automatically update its firmware (it didn't do this yesterday). It now works perfectly with Roon. My thanks to Xuanqian Wang at Auralic for suggesting this.

I have no idea why (because they look identical internally), but the new G1.1 sounds so much better than my old G1 (which I bought used a short while ago). And for anyone who's interested, I'll definitely be keeping the G1.1 :).

Mani (a happy Auralic customer... finally!)

Southeastern

The '59 Sound
Wammer
Nov 26, 2019
South East
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just to wrap this thread up...

Yesterday, when I tried to select the G1.1 from Roon, I got a message saying that it was not Roon certified.

I set the G1.1 back up again today, and the first thing it did was to automatically update its firmware (it didn't do this yesterday). It now works perfectly with Roon. My thanks to Xuanqian Wang at Auralic for suggesting this.

I have no idea why (because they look identical internally), but the new G1.1 sounds so much better than my old G1 (which I bought used a short while ago). And for anyone who's interested, I'll definitely be keeping the G1.1 :).

Mani (a happy Auralic customer... finally!)

Earlier in the thread you said you were not too concerned with the Roon aspect as you knew it would come, you were more upset about the lak of galvanic isolation when they claimed it was - has this been addressed for you? There dosent seem to be any comment by Auralic regarding this.

manisandher

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 9, 2013
Leamington Spa
AKA
Mani
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Earlier in the thread you said you were not too concerned with the Roon aspect as you knew it would come, you were more upset about the lak of galvanic isolation when they claimed it was - has this been addressed for you? There dosent seem to be any comment by Auralic regarding this.

Addressed in the sense that they've admitted it was a mistake on their part (cut 'n' paste from the G2.1 blurb?), and have said they will rectify it.

The only reason I opted for a G1.1 rather than a G2.1 was because I thought I was getting the functionality and 'goodness' of the G2.1 that actually mattered to me, for half the price. But having now heard the G1.1 in my system, I couldn't care less if it had a USB isolator or not. I really don't understand how it could sound so vastly superior to the G1 I was playing only earlier this evening... but it does.

One day, I hope we'll understand why digital audio can sound so different, whilst transmitting exactly the same bits. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy my music.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The only reason I opted for a G1.1 rather than a G2.1 was because I thought I was getting the functionality and 'goodness' of the G2.1 that actually mattered to me, for half the price. But having now heard the G1.1 in my system, I couldn't care less if it had a USB isolator or not. I really don't understand how it could sound so vastly superior to the G1 I was playing only earlier this evening... but it does.

One day, I hope we'll understand why digital audio can sound so different, whilst transmitting exactly the same bits. But for now, I'm just going to enjoy my music.
The same answer as fish and chips. When eaten from newspaper it tastes better. It’s the same bits but it’s just better….. or do I mean batter? Anyway a great outcome for you.

Spen ago

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 23, 2012
Warwickshire
AKA
Spencer
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Don’t suppose anyone has had the opportunity to compare Aries G2 v G1.1?
Good to hear @manisandher thinks there is a decent jump from G1 to G1.1, but before I order one wondering if I should plump for the S/H G2 in the classifieds here instead….

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles