AVI <> KRELL

OLST

Wammer
New Wammer
Mar 25, 2007
Heerhugowaard, , Net
Hi guys, new to this forum, but a few people are on the Cyrusunofficial as well, so I don't feel a stranger altogether.

A week ago I bought a pair of PMC OB1s to replace my FB1s. The OBs need a bit more power ( on Cyrus C7 + PSX-R now )and I had set my mind on the AVI S 21 MI, basically on good reviews and a short but good listen at a HiFi show. BUT : yesterday an ad showed up on HiFi.nl in which a 4 year oldKRELL 500i is on offer for € 300.- less than the AVI.

Any thoughts ??
lightbulb.gif.2153bcfc1c810616a661c1a03e7a67eb.gif

A

Alex A

300 Euros. FK me. If you don't want it tell me who is offering it.

A

Alex A

The man who runs AVI is a pillock?

Seriously though. You're looking at an amp that used to retail for three times the price of the AVI. That doesn't necessarily mean it sounds better, of course, but it does mean it's likely to have cost a lot more to make (parts and development wise). And most Krell integrateds are very good value for money, esp 2nd hand.

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
I would not go for the Krell. This was not their best attempt at an integrated, and perhaps the weakest of the models. Its also a bit long in the tooth now, not to mention overpriced when new. Personally, I would go for the AVI as I find it more musical - as well as having good grip, timing and bass.

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
nixon_fiend wrote:

deffo the krell .. you'd make a profit selling it on if you didn't like it . at the very least
goodpost.gif.00822561e807cf35c79b3503f2e609d0.gif
Krell is an old (relatively) and respected manufacturer worldwide.AVI is a somewhat smaller company and a relative newcomer by comparison.

Krell Amps such as the KSA50 sell for nearly a grand today and hold their price second hand. They will drive virtually anything and whatever we say in here when we nitpick they are really really good although we all have our other personal preferences.

Uzzy
crazy_pilot.gif.c313d97f4d9ddf9c49c568cf60659106.gif

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Welcome, Henk!

I'd say the Krell and the OB1 may not be a good combination, having heard my KAV 400 into OB1, with a Bow Wizard 2 as source, a bit too bright and "hi-fi" for my ears. Your tastes may, of course, differ, but you should, as pointed out above, have no problems re-selling the Krell if it doesn't work for you.

Can't comment on the sound of AVI with PMC.

Happy listening!

Boxer

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Buy the Krell the way AVI are talking they will be selling only computer based kit in 12 months and not interested

or have tried selling computer based kit gone bust and unable to support your avi buy

or they will have stopped going on about computer stuff and will great you with open arms if you need help

take your pick

johan1970

Wammer
New Wammer
Mar 21, 2007
, , Belgium
I see some strange comments on AVI on this board. Okay, they make some bold claims about MP3 but they try to survive I guess. Many so called high end gear is really bullshit and is solely sold because sexy looks and a huge amount of voodoo (see the audiophile checklist on the AMR topic http://www.hifiwigwam.com/forum1/13311.html from nixon_friend). I can only tell you that AVI is real value for money, even if you buy new (!), a second hand Krell, and only second hand, is of course also value for money.

OLST

Wammer
New Wammer
Mar 25, 2007
Heerhugowaard, , Net
Thanks for the response, guys. Thing is, the Krell being second handI can't have a home audition with my OBs ; the guy doesn't exactly live nextdoor ( 170 km ). And indeed the design is almost 10 years old. I have heard the AVI and never heard that Krell. Avi gets ravingreviews, albeit in the UK
wink.png
. But Krell is a BIG name in audio. Damn, those luxury choices are tough...........

uzzy

Grumpy Old Git
Wammer
Apr 16, 2006
NN38TA Northampton
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Miller-8 wrote:

I would go for the AVI.
Nah look at this with business eyes. By the Krell and try it and if it isn't your cup of tea then sell it then try an AVI.

Krell get a lot of knocking they do not deserve. They are built like tanks work forever and the company has been going for a lot longer than AVI with far greater world turnover and recognition.

The Krell will drive virtually any loudspeaker you throw at it and is extremely detailed and accurate.

Some say they are bright but they are definitely not that - I think they confuse this with shall we say the more clinical presentation of a Krell. Match with a smooth CD player and SPeakers and you will not be disappointed.

Uzzy:nerd:

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Its how it sounds though, innit? And AVI has enough of a good press (PC musings-aside) to be able to sell it on again.

Has anyone actually heard either amp with PMC speeks?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan