AVI Neutron IV - anyone any experience

jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
I'm curious about the Neutron IV. Having effectively sold my big Audio Physic Avanti IIIs, I am now considering what to replace them with.

Sure, the Neutron IV won't be as good as the Avantis but I wondered if they might be nonetheless a capable speaker which would work well with a sub.

Does anyone have any experience with them?

I already own a pair of Pro Nine+ which I like but the Neutrons intrigue me and apparently share the same tweeter unit, so I might have more luck with them than with the PNPs...

cheers

john

thrunobulax

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 3, 2006
derby, , United King
jtc wrote:

I'm curious about the Neutron IV. Having effectively sold my big Audio Physic Avanti IIIs, I am now considering what to replace them with. Sure, the Neutron IV won't be as good as the Avantis but I wondered if they might be nonetheless a capable speaker which would work well with a sub.

I already own a pair of Pro Nine+ which I like but the Neutrons intrigue me and apparently share the same tweeter unit, so I might have more luck with them than with the PNPs...

cheers

john
Not had any experience of the 1V but have had Nu-nuetrons and bigga-tron i liked them both a lot, they punch well above their weight imo, and the midrange is especially good.

But not impressed by AVI`s attitude when i blew up a driver,they did not want to know, expected me to send both speakers back and pay extra (a lot) for them to be replaced by the red dot version,telling me i would be getting back new speakers not just drivers replaced,in the end wilmslow audio got me a new pair of updated vifa`s (red dot ones) drivers for around £30 each and all was well.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
jtc wrote:

I'm curious about the Neutron IV. Having effectively sold my big Audio Physic Avanti IIIs, I am now considering what to replace them with. Sure, the Neutron IV won't be as good as the Avantis but I wondered if they might be nonetheless a capable speaker which would work well with a sub.

cheers

john
Hello john

IMO and IME the Neutrons IV are just about flawless from 65Hz to 23kHz.
biggrin.png
Their tonal presentation is exactly the same as the Pro Nine Plus - save for the extra octave of bass the P9P has plus an even more enveloping midband (could be too much, for some).

They are excellent with many musical genres and I, for one, don't miss the lack of deep bass that much, thanks to that engaging midband. But if you wish to add a sub, you'll have to find one that does tight and fast bass - otherwise you might end up with a time-lag problem... The Neutrons are PRaTTy little buggers and don't drag their feet.
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif

Hope this helps,

SS

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
If you have a pair of small passive AVIs already I would thought you would be more curious about the ADM9 to hear what is this theoretical benefit of a pairs of real active speakers with totally different crossover that all the engineering type claimed about sound like.

Miller-8

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 6, 2005
Midlothian, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've had Neutron III's for 2 years now, great speakers and I prefered them to the more expensive and larger Pro Nines.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Miller-8 wrote:

I've had Neutron III's for 2 years now, great speakers and I prefered them to the more expensive and larger Pro Nines.
Same experience for me - only that mine involved the Neutron IVs and Pro Nine Pluses. The latter definitely offered more, but seemed more midband-centric, making it a bit of an acquired (fine) taste. The overall presentation of the Neutron IVs is more proportionate.

And they are cuter too.
smile.png

SS

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
wolfgang wrote:

If you have a pair of small passive AVIs already I would thought you would be more curious about the ADM9 to hear what is this theoretical benefit of a pairs of real active speakers with totally different crossover that all the engineering type claimed about sound like.
Oh yes, keeping tabs on this one too.
smile.png
They could be the future of audio replay.

The durnest thing is trying to get my head around the tech talk that the AVI site provides. It's all a bit confusing and you do wish AVI would offer an online user's manual that provides information on how to hook it up to all that variety of sources.
71_71.gif.90e48c720ca56a2d2fa0532dd3380cc7.gif
And a pic of the accompanying remote would be helpful.

And the most pressing question for me is: is the veneer on the ADM9s of a glossy finish as seen on the second pic on the site?
dribble.gif.d7c791c8c1fcd106b5acaa26ef2a6658.gif
Or is it of the standard (dull) matte as found on the Neutron IV and PNP? The pic of the ADM9 with the LCD screen seems to suggest this.

I suspect some airbrushing might have been in play.
wub.png

SS

finbred

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 5, 2007
, , Finland
Yes, they are all supposed to be glossy, even in cherry, due to some customer feedback, which I honestly don't get. What level of glossy, I don't know, but I didn't like the idea, so they're making me a pair in rosewood. I've been waiting for them forever, but they should be in assembly around now (toslink, usb would have been available earlier). So perhaps, if you ask nicely... And I'm pretty sure that if people start asking for "regular" veneers, they will provide. The prototype they had at the Brostol Show wasn't glossy either.

Bristol_5_280207.jpg

(Photo courtesy of hifi.nl)

whizzkid

I told you it wasn't important
Wammer
Dec 30, 2006
Earth 2
AKA
Slartibartfast
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi jtc

I used a pair for 18months on the end of a Naim Cd5i Nait 5i and enjoyed them immensely I found them to be exciting speakers meaning fast and articulate with great resolution though as someone has already said forget about low bass and extension even up against a wall, but what bass is there is tuneful. The only downside to my ears is the fact that their tweeters are quite hi-end jobbies and are a little too revealing giving a warts and all presentation, some of my CD's were a bit of a torture test but that was with the CD5i which is imho a little rough round the edges, so a smoother source and amp would probably get rid of those niggles. Overall they are a cracking speaker shame about the company that makes them though. I've still got mine and might build a second system around them. Oh they do like a bit of welly driving them I don't think they have the kindest impedance specs. Hope this helps.

Dean...

CTank

Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2006
Pinner, , United Kin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Fantastic speakers, although as others have mentioned, you can forget about any deep bass. I suspect your main problem will be getting a sub to integrate properly with them. I'd be inclined to have them on their own merits, and enjoy what they're good at.

I'll second the need for adecent amp. Although they're only £500, they merit an amp costing more than this. They tripped the protection circuit in a Rotel integrated in about two minutes flat. Funny thing was, the bloke demming them obviously thought he'd killed something, and crept out of the shop, saying he was going to think about it, neglecting to mention that no sound was forthcoming!

jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
I would thought you would be more curious about the ADM9
I was, but AVI wouldn't send me a pair to try out and I'm not gambling a grand on marketing spin.

Also, the ADM9s appear to use much cheaper drive units than the PNPs, and I wonder whether that will 'dilute' any benefits of active amplification. Also, I already have a very good amp which I'd then have to sell and I'd have to buy a preamp or some such (as I have multiple sources) and it's more hassle...

jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
Thanks for all the comments on the Neutron IVs - I think I'll take a chance on them. I've the option on a Castle sub (the bigger one) which I had planned to try with the PNPs, but if it won't work then it should be fairly obvious and all I'll have lost is a bit of time and effort in borrowing it and setting it up, plus some petrol. If it does integrate well, then it could be a great solution - who knows?

As for amps - my amp is the 200wpc AVI Lab Series Integrated so no shortage of welly [
smile.png
]

finbred

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 5, 2007
, , Finland
jtc wrote:

As for amps - my amp is the 200wpc AVI Lab Series Integrated so no shortage of welly [
smile.png
]
Yes, if the ADM9s aren't up to beat my Totems, I will upgrade my amp to just that as the Arros very much need controlled power, and lots of it.

By the way, if you haven't noticed, there is a 10" vertical, front fireing sub in development at AVI...

jtc

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 10, 2007
Fife Riviera, UK
AKA
John
My budget including speakers was in the region of £600...

...and now it may not happen at all as the sale on my Avantis has fallen through. I have another fellow interested but he is trying to decide whether to upgrade his source or his speakers. His source is, IMHO, already a very capable unit so I'm hoping he goes for the speakers option. But then I'm biased (as I used to own the same model of cdp and of course I have speakers to sell)...

wolfgang

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
Glasgow, ,
The only reason I have not ordered a pair myself is there seem to be none in stock as they claim to be still working on a long back order. The main cone is certain different but wonder if they are using a different tweeter as well?

finbred

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 5, 2007
, , Finland
wolfgang wrote:

wonder if they are using a different tweeter as well?
Checked an e-mail from AVI which said they're not getting any drivers from Tymphany anymore (new owner = some sort of problems), at least for the ADM9s, so that should mean no Scanspeaks.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Creedy