B&W bass, what next?

Bowie

New Wammer
Feb 17, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, I hope that you can help, I have four B&W LF00507 CT8 LR bass units (-6dB at 23Hz and 40kHz 93dB spl (2.83V, 1m) (mf/hf) 8Ω (minimum 4Ω) and would like to build some really nice speakers for a HiFi stereo sound that can also be the optional L&R of a simple 5 way theatre system. The power amp is a Carver Sunfire TGA 5400, it gives 400 Watts per channel into 8Ω or 800 Watts per channel into 4 Ω. I still have the B&W CT8XO 2 active crossovers that are needed for each of the whole units, but nothing else is left from those two original CT8LR speaker cases (please don't ask what happened, horrible). I am looking for some compatible quality mid range and tweeters to give a real presence and detail, and to do justice to the quality of the amp and bass units without spending £10k on parts. I will build the enclosures to respect the necessary dimensions and insulation for closed unit boxes.
In hopeful addition, would you recommend internal cross overs after the terminal tray, or external multi channel active cross overs? I don't need it to be the level of the rest of the CT8's, it is a separate system, just want a capable and accurate reproduction. Thanks for your time. Really look forward to any constructive answers. Cabling is very high quality, so maybe some advice on the choice of terminal tray too.

Bowie

New Wammer
Feb 17, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi, I hope that you can help, I have four B&W LF00507 CT8 LR bass units (-6dB at 23Hz and 40kHz 93dB spl (2.83V, 1m) (mf/hf) 8Ω (minimum 4Ω) and would like to build some really nice speakers for a HiFi stereo sound that can also be the optional L&R of a simple 5 way theatre system. The power amp is a Carver Sunfire TGA 5400, it gives 400 Watts per channel into 8Ω or 800 Watts per channel into 4 Ω. I still have the B&W CT8XO 2 active crossovers that are needed for each of the whole units, but nothing else is left from those two original CT8LR speaker cases (please don't ask what happened, horrible). I am looking for some compatible quality mid range and tweeters to give a real presence and detail, and to do justice to the quality of the amp and bass units without spending £10k on parts. I will build the enclosures to respect the necessary dimensions and insulation for closed unit boxes.
In hopeful addition, would you recommend internal cross overs after the terminal tray, or external multi channel active cross overs? I don't need it to be the level of the rest of the CT8's, it is a separate system, just want a capable and accurate reproduction. Thanks for your time. Really look forward to any constructive answers. Cabling is very high quality, so maybe some advice on the choice of terminal tray too.
I suppose part of the question is; are the CTXO boxes any use if I don't use all the same B&W parts? (please excuse ignorance, it's not my field..)

Jazid

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 13, 2009
London
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can't answer usefully but be patient, someone will have knowledge to impart in due course. DIY isnt the most active part of the wam, but is a more worthwhile section to some of us.

Enmark

New Wammer
Feb 13, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You dont say what experience you have in speaker building .. Best advice is to talk to Will at Willys hi fi first. If I were rebuilding from scratch you'd need the FRD /ZMA from measurements taken from a test box . There appears to be very little info out there on the drivers but believe them to be 10 inch . As a good match SB acoustics Satori range ( 5 inch ) as the mid and a Satori Tweeter TW29 range .. But Will can advise better than I on depth of pocket and performance matching . Be prepared for for the long haul though once you start on this journey you'll be tinkering for a while . I'd always go analogue internal XO . Assuming you are replicating the original boxes ie 2 x bass per box as a guide a 3 and 1/2 way config . But so much depends on measurements, baffle arrangement, box , room yada yada, etc , etc . Using Vituix cad or Xsim is a good start for guidance but you cant substitute for real world measurements.... ( a download of Holmimpulse /REW and a decent calibrated mic like a behringer 800 or alike will get you going .. ) .. Do a search on 'datinternet ' on speaker measurements and youtube is an obvious reference .. Impulse audio , Erins audio corner and GR research videos are great on guidance if this is the start of your journey . And there is always Troels Gravesen ..

Bowie

New Wammer
Feb 17, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You dont say what experience you have in speaker building .. Best advice is to talk to Will at Willys hi fi first. If I were rebuilding from scratch you'd need the FRD /ZMA from measurements taken from a test box . There appears to be very little info out there on the drivers but believe them to be 10 inch . As a good match SB acoustics Satori range ( 5 inch ) as the mid and a Satori Tweeter TW29 range .. But Will can advise better than I on depth of pocket and performance matching . Be prepared for for the long haul though once you start on this journey you'll be tinkering for a while . I'd always go analogue internal XO . Assuming you are replicating the original boxes ie 2 x bass per box as a guide a 3 and 1/2 way config . But so much depends on measurements, baffle arrangement, box , room yada yada, etc , etc . Using Vituix cad or Xsim is a good start for guidance but you cant substitute for real world measurements.... ( a download of Holmimpulse /REW and a decent calibrated mic like a behringer 800 or alike will get you going .. ) .. Do a search on 'datinternet ' on speaker measurements and youtube is an obvious reference .. Impulse audio , Erins audio corner and GR research videos are great on guidance if this is the start of your journey . And there is always Troels Gravesen ..
Thank you for such a detailed response, it's much appreciated. Will go throiugh those sources and let you know how it goes!

Enmark

New Wammer
Feb 13, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Enjoy … you can’t beat building a pair of your own speakers and eventually state “ I built those “ I am on number 22… but still go back to my first .. The fact that you have put heart and sole into them makes them your babies .. after 12 years of messing they are finally ruler flat and sound exactly as I wished them to be . Nothing I have heard commercially comes even close . Ok a pair of Nautilus is near but I ain’t got 20k to spend . Best advice is test box then measure . Fiddle measure and repeat . I prefer to use Holm impulse for measurement on a laptop with a behringer 800 mic from the test box . Import the measured FR into vituix cad using the trace facility . I’ve yet to get a different zma file than that by the manufacture so you are safe importing that direct . And fiddle away at a XO to your hearts content. Vituiux is a very powerful tool with far too much to cover here but stay with the basics and learn over time what does what . If you get stuck just holla there will be plenty here that can assist . Say hi to Will at Willy’s Hifi for me . His knowledge on drivers is second to none . Great service and value too .

Bowie

New Wammer
Feb 17, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks again, this is why I'm looking for advice, would be a shame to waste the potential of the amp and the bass drivers, have been looking at some Magico enclosures, nothing like aiming high..

dave

incurable tinkerer
Wammer
Mar 24, 2014
cambs
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I really like my Accuton ceramic mid woofers 5", used in my home made semi active speakers. I find going back to anything else a bit of a let down.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles