Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Honestly, I post in semi jest but I was swapping the Leben for the PrimaLuna and Croft this pm and my back went ! The latter weighs a bloody ton. Stupid bloody hobby.

It's happened before and been short term if I do my exercises, but right now cocodamol is my friend.

jobseeker

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 5, 2010
Madeira Island
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Honestly, I post in semi jest but I was swapping the Leben for the PrimaLuna and Croft this pm and my back went ! The latter weighs a bloody ton. Stupid bloody hobby.

It's happened before and been short term if I do my exercises, but right now cocodamol is my friend.
Paracetamol, Tramadol and Dolocalma (Metamizol - you can’t get it in the UK) cocktail for me.

DomT

Food and coffee and rock n roll
Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Ian sorry to hear that. It’s one reason why I am selling my 27kg Marantz amp!!

How are you getting on with the Leben?

Reactions: Ian

wizmax

"Inestimable" Reel to Reel expert
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2010
Hayling Island
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
When I saw the title of this thread I assumed it was something to do with old HiFi magazines 🤣.

On a more serious note, on Friday September 30th, whilst taking equipment off of my rack I damaged my back lifting my 45kg Line Magnetic LM-508 on to the floor, the car journeys to and from Stoke were very uncomfortable as was walking about the hotel over the weekend. I spent a large part of the weekend waiting for the lift as I couldn't use the stairs and thanking people for helping Brook, @Speedracer to lift and carry things about as I was totally useless.

audio_PHIL_e

audioPHILe
Wammer
Jul 21, 2020
The wrong planet
soundcloud.com
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You'll have back issues if you try to lift a Radford STA25. I had help last time I tried to lift mine onto the top shelf of my rack. The Leak Stereo-20 was bad enough. This time I think I'll get help with both of them.

Radioham

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 8, 2010
Peterborough.
AKA
Alan Ralph
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There are times when I have been offered home demo of valve amplifiers by my local dealer but had to say no, as they were just too heavy to carry from the car to the house.

Ian

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Aug 27, 2008
United Kingdom
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's very much seeming, as I suspected, that this is an occupational hazard. Good fortune seems to me with me however, once up moving about is much easier.

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Trouble with Cocodamol is it turns your bowels to concrete make sure you take a laxative too mate👍

Reactions: tackleberry

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Since I build my own valve amps I divide them up into power supply, signal chassis and filament supply for DHTs. I try not to have anything weigh over 12kg if possible. I absolutely hate heavy amps, and mostly they aren't necessary since there are alternatives.

Vincent52

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 23, 2011
North Yorkshire
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had to have the 300b off the rack over the weekend. Thank heavens Sue was around to help otherwise I guess that I would have been in the same boat. Phew. o_O

Rayymondo

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Dec 10, 2018
North Somerset UK
AKA
Raymond
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sensible or boring as it may sound, I actually avoid oversized (for my needs) equipment.
I tend to shy away from items that get "delivered on a pallet" etc. This isn't just to do with the issues of putting your back out but also of finding shelf space etc. One of the first things I look at when considering a new purchase is the dimensions (including weight) - I look a the physical measurements before the performance ones! This also includes distance from boundary walls when looking at speakers. Even my subwoofer would be categorized as "mini with it's 8 inch driver.
This in part is due to the fact that a) I rent so may have to move house at relative short notice (which happened last year), b) I currently have a smallish living area and don't want it totally dominated by the Hifi, c) I actually prefer the aesthetic of more compact gear - case in point I now have all 3 x components of the T+A 8 Series system, which is approx. half the width of the standard.
I particularly avoid large amps that are deep as well as heavy, mainly as they wouldn't even fit on my shelves. Until a year ago by accommodation was in an attic apartment complete with outdoor spiral staircase as the only access and some years previous to that I lived in a park home (that's basically a static caravan), so all in all I have avoided anything weighing much more than 10kg.
I have still had some good sounding systems and it adds to the challenge when searching out new kit.

Reactions: lazycat

lazycat

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Dec 20, 2007
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just putting on my ex-nurse hat.

WTF are you doing lifting such weights on your own? Is it worth it?

No. When your back is f****d or you develop a nice hernia I'll be here to say I told you so.

Jeez, you idiots - no offence mean't.

My 18kg amp is enough. Tho' because my knee is screwed I won't be lifting that for dusting anytime soon. Or my speakers to tighten the bases.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles