Tinker Bod
Wammer Plus
Nov 26, 2018
Folkestone, Kent
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a pair of Horning Agathons for 8 years as my main speakers, about 20 years ago. They had Lowther drivers but also supplemented by a tweeter - and as I have only found out recently- an enclosed bass driver in the cabinet.

Ultimately they weren’t even handed enough over a broad range of music (It was probably the D&B I was getting into at the time!) but boy did they do acoustic and vocals well.

Like Rabski, was irrationally tempted when they came up in the classifieds. Should prove a cracking buy I reckon, as long as you are not into breakbeats 😄

Reactions: Fullrange

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw these myself in the classified and thought they looked a great bargain and very intriguing. Would have picked them up myself if I'd had the space.

I was at the Lowther showroom recently and had a demo of a couple of their new speakers. I enjoyed them alot, they did some music styles very well indeed. I agree if you're looking for massive bass then they are probably not for you but I don't think that's because there is a fault in the speakers its just not what they do or have been designed to do. Listening to a church organ piece there was more than enough bass for me and I agree positioning plays a big part with these drivers / cabinets. I would have probably bought a pair but they were priced just too high for me. Some beautiful craftsmanship with the hand made cabinets but there are other options in the second hand market that are cheaper and I couldn't justify buying them new. Lovely showroom and the guys were exceptionally friendly and helpful, I'd recommend a visit.

JezR

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 3, 2009
Brighton, UK
AKA
Jez
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's a photo of my Lowther Acousta 116 plywood cabs with original P6M (PM6a) drivers, they are coming up for around 60yrs old, I'm sure they've had a bit of time to bed in so maybe have lost some of the shout I've heard mentioned, to my ears I get no shout here.

I've since installed some tweeters after this photo was taken (Fostex FT17H) with a single 2.2uF cap on them at the moment, I will try a 1.5uF at some point as I've read that's closer to the roll off of the main driver.

I find all the wide band drivers/speakers I've used in the past just a bit too dark/recessed in the top end so I always augment with a tweeter soon after.

Not as essential as the tweeters in my opinion is my BK Monolith + subwoofer, sometimes recordings need just a bit more help in the lower regions, Yello for example.

I see Lowther has recently released the Acoutsta again fully built with 117 designation and also as a flat pack kit, so an enduring design indeed.

Overall I think they're a great speaker, but audition as always is recommended.

1665751988303.png

Fullrange

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Torquay
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It's been a long time since I had the horn. ( Old age )
About 20 years ago I really enjoyed a pair of Beauhorn speakers in a large room using Lowther PM6a drivers. A job move to Reading and living in smaller rooms / houses forced a move away from Lowther horns to more BBC designs.
After a move back to the Southwest and a bigger room I totally forgot / wasn't concerned about having horn speakers because the Spendor Classic 2/3 are sounding fantastic with a Radford / Woodside STA25 ( 6550 valves ).
I'm usually hanging around the classified section looking for something to temp away my hard earned money. About a week ago I spotted these...... Pickup has been arranged for Friday........ Horntastic.
Just picked them up from Gary.
They are still in the van awaiting my friend to help with the move into the house.

Reactions: JezR

Fullrange

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Torquay
AKA
Marc
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Here's a photo of my Lowther Acousta 116 plywood cabs with original P6M (PM6a) drivers, they are coming up for around 60yrs old, I'm sure they've had a bit of time to bed in so maybe have lost some of the shout I've heard mentioned, to my ears I get no shout here.

I've since installed some tweeters after this photo was taken (Fostex FT17H) with a single 2.2uF cap on them at the moment, I will try a 1.5uF at some point as I've read that's closer to the roll off of the main driver.

I find all the wide band drivers/speakers I've used in the past just a bit too dark/recessed in the top end so I always augment with a tweeter soon after.

Not as essential as the tweeters in my opinion is my BK Monolith + subwoofer, sometimes recordings need just a bit more help in the lower regions, Yello for example.

I see Lowther has recently released the Acoutsta again fully built with 117 designation and also as a flat pack kit, so an enduring design indeed.

Overall I think they're a great speaker, but audition as always is recommended.

1665751988303.png
Now that's what I call a horn system.... fantastic.😀

• Thanks
Reactions: JezR

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I had a pair of Horning Agathons for 8 years as my main speakers, about 20 years ago. They had Lowther drivers but also supplemented by a tweeter - and as I have only found out recently- an enclosed bass driver in the cabinet.

Ultimately they weren’t even handed enough over a broad range of music (It was probably the D&B I was getting into at the time!) but boy did they do acoustic and vocals well.

Like Rabski, was irrationally tempted when they came up in the classifieds. Should prove a cracking buy I reckon, as long as you are not into breakbeats 😄
talking of horning a nice 12 month old pair of zeus has just appeared !

https://www.hifi-forsale.co.uk/moreinfo.php?prod_title=HORNING_ZEUS&p=speaker&prod_id=106722&offset=

fairly small by the looks of them

Reactions: Fullrange

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles