Wammer
Wammer
Mar 31, 2009
Chichester W. Sussx.
AKA
Jack lambert
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ive long been of the opinion that many male vocalists, through their own shortcomings as singers, have relied on superior female backing vocalists to 'lift' the recording performance to achieve success.
I am not looking for agreement nor disagreement on this point, but merely a mention for excellent female backing vocals.

I was just listening to a 12" single of 'Call Me Al' by Paul Simon and I was reminded of this - its only an 'ooh' and an 'ah' but how fabulous..?!

Any more offers..?

Jack NSM

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
BVs, as they're called, are an often essential part of the arrangement. Nothing to do with how good or bad the main singer is. How about Ray Charles and the Raylettes? Nothing wrong with Ray! In Hit the Road Jack for instance, the song only works with the BVs.

And how about all the multi-tracked vocals? Great effects.

wizmax

"Inestimable" Reel to Reel expert
Wammer Plus
Sep 11, 2010
Hayling Island
AKA
Robin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How about Dusty Springfield's backing group, Madeline Bell, Lesley Duncan and Kiki Dee.

DIB

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 13, 2009
Manchester
AKA
Dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've long been an admirer of Sam Brown, both of her solo albums and also her backing vocals for the likes of Pink Floyd and Dave Gilmour. Her solo albums are well worth a listen,

Reactions: bigfool1956

chezi

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Nov 8, 2012
Fun City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Paul Young , Common people.
Prefab Sprout , Swoon and Steve McQueen albums.
Lou Reed , Walk on the wild side..................................just off the top of my head.

chz

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Paul Young seconded chezi in particular his "No Parlez" album with Kim Leslie and Maz 'Eddie' Roberts also known as-The Fabulous Wealthy Tarts.......They take this album to another level🤞😍

+ a little mention for "Pino Paladino" on bass awesome👍

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
I love Backing singers and the work they do often intrigues me. Im going to get my self tied up in knots here forgive me

When the backing singers have to do long durations of ooooooooh and not sing words behind songs i would love to know how this is constructed and is it written down (Doesn't that sound trivial and silly)

I have favorite songs i play at the moment on my phone while wondering around I love for the backing singers . hope you do not mind me sharing with you. one is Cher and "one on one" the other is Del Shannon's "Little town Flirt" and "Kelly"

EDIT: In my excitement writing this i forgot about Lou, Lou Christi (Bernadette Carroll, Denise Ferri, and Peggy Santiglia) were the Lightning Strikes and "I'm gonna make you mine" Vocal ensemble

lou.jpg

Last edited:

old Guy

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Nov 15, 2021
Bournemouth
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Ray Conniff singers - Somebody Done somebody wrong song

Two points of interest here Myrna Matthews (hair Up), Later appeared on Katie Lied as a Backing singer

Suicide is Painless main Vocal Was sung by two of the guys in this video John Bahler sunglasses Tom Bahler (not pictured) and Ron Hicklin far right

The song from Mash - Beautiful singing lovely arrangement

Last edited:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Webb Sisters, backing Leonard Cohen. As near to a perfect match as I could imagine.

Reactions: bigrod

Andy Stephenson

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2022
North East England
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Paice Ashton Lord had one album out in the middle seventies and a live recording of a BBC Sight and Sound in Concert released later.

An eleven piece band including two sisters as backing singers called Sheila and Jeanette McKinley.

Well worth investigating if you like something a little different.

Andy

Colinjg

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Nov 1, 2016
South Midlands.
AKA
Walter Fagen.
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Paul Young seconded chezi in particular his "No Parlez" album with Kim Leslie and Maz 'Eddie' Roberts also known as-The Fabulous Wealthy Tarts.......They take this album to another level🤞😍

+ a little mention for "Pino Paladino" on bass awesome👍
Good post. More than a little mention. Pino is brill.

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's another type of vocals where the vocals are shared - the lead singer is singing part of the lyrics and the backing singers another part.

e.g. Penny lane "There beneath the blue suburban skies" and "I sit and meanwhile back"

e.g. Babylon Sisters "So fine, so young" and "Tell me I'm the only one"

This is quite common in good songwriting, and partly dates right back to the ethnic "call and response" singing from Africa etc. You still get this a lot in Modern Gospel, which is largely based on the interplay between the vocalist and the choir. The soloist sings virtuoso embellished lines above the choir. Nobody does it better then the wonderful Kim Burrell

Reactions: deggie and MVJ

enrae8

T otally W asted A t T imes
Wammer Plus
Sep 8, 2012
Blackpool
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Bowie - Right (young Americans) Ava Cherry nicely assisted by Vandross, Clark and MacCormack
possibly the best BVs ever - for me anyway 🙂

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Watch Diana Ross from Glastonbury
She actually doesn’t do a lot of singing solo .. The backing vocals do most of the vocalisations of the music ..

Reactions: deggie

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles