Banger Racing

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Had a nice afternoon yesterday courtesy of the North Cornwall Motor Racing Club up near Launceston. I last went about 15 years ago & had forgotten much of what goes on.

They did have classes of races; Juniors, Rookies, large front wheel drive,banger boys etc & seemed to switch between full contact & no or minimal contact.

Between races there was the sound of sledge-hammers & angle grinders being put to work trying to make cars fit to race once again.

It attracts some interesting people!

Indeed the whole thing had a great Beverly Hillbillies or Dukes of Hazzard feel about it.

This car was particularly effective throughout the 'Juniors' races. Not sure what it is. X19? early MR2?

The typical luxurious interior.

One careful owner...

Mayhem on the top bend.

Ready for another run out.

Rep mobiles on a charge

It is funny to think that many of these cars probably did start life as boring rep cars. Nice to see them going out in a blaze of glory!

The last 'race' was a demolition derby where the track was ignored & the combatants chased each other all over the arena attempting to wipe each other out. All in all a fun day. Better and more interesting than the processions that often occur in F1!

HoopsOnToast

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Feb 6, 2006
Oxfordshire
AKA
Rob
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Had a nice afternoon yesterday courtesy of the North Cornwall Motor Racing Club up near Launceston. I last went about 15 years ago & had forgotten much of what goes on.They did have classes of races; Juniors, Rookies, large front wheel drive,banger boys etc & seemed to switch between full contact & no or minimal contact.

Between races there was the sound of sledge-hammers & angle grinders being put to work trying to make cars fit to race once again.

It attracts some interesting people!

Indeed the whole thing had a great Beverly Hillbillies or Dukes of Hazzard feel about it.

This car was particularly effective throughout the 'Juniors' races. Not sure what it is. X19? early MR2?

The typical luxurious interior.

One careful owner...

Mayhem on the top bend.

Ready for another run out.

Rep mobiles on a charge

It is funny to think that many of these cars probably did start life as boring rep cars. Nice to see them going out in a blaze of glory!

The last 'race' was a demolition derby where the track was ignored & the combatants chased each other all over the arena attempting to wipe each other out. All in all a fun day. Better and more interesting than the processions that often occur in F1!
Nice, I love a bit of Bangers and Smash!

Looks to me like a Mk1 MR2 :^

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I go to Hednesford raceway quite often, great afternoons entertainment for ten quid odd. The eldest loves it. It's a much bigger track than that and hosts quite a few formulas. It's the big banger events that I enjoy most though. 60+ cars on the track all at once. Exciting stuff.

http://www.spedeworth.co.uk/incarace/index2.php

pure sound

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 10, 2011
West Devon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw a bunch of flatbeds transporting battered-looking cars prepped for this, not a rare sight, except they were mostly things like late 60s Rover P5s and mk2 Jags and suchlike - common-enough when I was a kid, but surprised to see people still wrecking what are considered classics nowadays :?
There wasn't any old stuff like that at this meet. Presumably it's all either been trashed or is now being cared for. I'd guess the majority was early/mid 90's repmobile fodder with the exception of that nice little Toyota which wasn't racing in the 'contact' races anyway.

Samantha

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 17, 2007
South Lincolnshire
AKA
Samantha
Glad the mr2 wasn't in the wrecker races, they are such sweet handling little things. I prefer them to the too long and narrow mk2

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles