Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2013
East Nothants
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A friend recently was given a Threshold FET S2 and what I think is a S200 power amp. He's driving a pair of what I think are an old pair if B&W nautilus(shiney black twin kevlar looking drivers.Curvy pod design). His problem is s lack of bass at low volume and mentioned the possibility of putting a sub in to remedy this . Is this the best way to resolve this, would this amp respond well to a sub. I'm struggling to find much info about Threshold.

Thanks in advance.

Tenson

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2006
It's probably more to do with room acoustics. Reflections from the room can cancel out the sound from the speakers at certain frequencies. Consider adjusting the speaker and or listener positions.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Threshold - big American muscle amps - I doubt it's the amp that's the problem, more likely room problems as Tenson suggests.

One of these?

171230_thumb_6d85428fa465860826bb7611abd54d53.jpg

Has your friend had better low volume bass response with other amps?

If not, maybe just the old Fletcher Munson hearing response curve - the ear is less sensitive to bass freqs at low volume.

FletcherMunson_EqualLoudness_thumb.jpg

An old fashioned 'loudness control' would sort that. ;-)

Jaffa

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2013
East Nothants
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yeh that's the beast, and he says he has had better bass audibility? at low levels from other amps. As regards the speakers I'd need to see them and check model, they look like the b&w pod desktop design, except they are about 2ft tall with a 3 way design.

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Yeh that's the beast, and he says he has had better bass audibility? at low levels from other amps. As regards the speakers I'd need to see them and check model, they look like the b&w pod desktop design, except they are about 2ft tall with a 3 way design.
Then a sub or different speakers might be the way to go.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
There was a company that produced some pod looking speakers using B&W drivers. Blue something? Blue moon? Quite funky looking, but too small for real bass. Just add a sub or get bigger speakers if you want real bass.

oldius

Staff member
Dec 30, 2008
Liverpool
AKA
Geoff
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
There was a company that produced some pod looking speakers using B&W drivers. Blue something? Blue moon? Quite funky looking, but too small for real bass. Just add a sub or get bigger speakers if you want real bass.
Scandiya mini podi think.

The kind of person who owns Threshold amps, Pass design and gloriously expensive, would not have a mini pod attached. However, they gave the Threshold's away so........

Jaffa

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2013
East Nothants
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There the blueroom technopods built by B&W i understand, granted the amps deserve better speakers but the owner has an emotional attachment to these and the amps came his way from a family member so he is trying to make the most of what he has. What are people's thoughts about appropriate subs <£400.

Jaffa

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 19, 2013
East Nothants
AKA
Lee
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks, does floor covering affect sub choice, there's a strata 11 on eBay @ 175, we're you thinking along those lines?

arturo

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2009
Herts
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Older Rels you have to consider age, giving up the ghost. My Rel Storm 3 packed in few weeks ago, not keen to get another old model, & the Storm was a higher model than Strata.

So, got a graded R-328 from Nintronics, box tatty, sub a thing of beauty. So much better integration than the Storm. But of course a bit OB!

Ian Sampson

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
Cumbria
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Older Rels you have to consider age, giving up the ghost. My Rel Storm 3 packed in few weeks ago, not keen to get another old model, & the Storm was a higher model than Strata.
Bit puzzled about this quote. Why would a sub-which is only a mono speaker in effect -give up the ghost due to age?

arturo

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2009
Herts
AKA
Peter
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There's a bit more to a Rel than a big speaker, a megawatt amp for example.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rickysderye