Bass bin advice

RobsterD

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 7, 2007
Southampton
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I fancy building a bass bin,one or two depending on size to gel with my horns - think the Lab 12's I had are far to big in my current setup

Interesting array of designs here

http://www.freespeakerplans.com/plans

Any recommendations from the above or shall I just go tapped - anyone got anything surplus at the mo ?

S

scruffybitch

havent a clue, other than to suggest you build it very solidly, else the boxes will shake themselves to bits.

I doubt that fancy woods are required, chipboard or ordinarly ply will be fine

(who disagrees - come on then)

avoid mdf unless you have a good mask, the dust is carcinogenic

MF 1000

Extreme Full Range 😱
Wammer Plus
Apr 5, 2011
Caego
AKA
Keith
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What size cabinet are you looking for Rob .....and how low do you want the bass to be ?

Who Cares?

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 22, 2012
What size cabinet are you looking for Rob .....and how low do you want the bass to be ?
Are the two essential initial questions that need answering.

Many of those designs have their roots in the world of PA, from decades ago, when high SPLs were desired for concerts and drivers had less power handling capacity than now. Then too, reliable amplifier power was less than now.

Some of those designs are designed, as the info shows, to really only work when stacked as multiples to provide a larger mouth area.

In the main, audio "finesse" was not the aim, just chest hitting bass power.

Domestic bass horn stuff, well, trials and tribulations much in evidence here.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
I would propose tapped horns normally - these can be sensibly made to fit in with your ceiling height and volume (loudness) requirements. You may be able to use a fairly small driver (say 10"), which reduces the width of the thing, if you don't need loads of sensitivity and volume. Thing is, they only go up to about 100Hz or so - is that OK?

And I would build with standard ply. Birch is better, but I think I'd prefer 25mm standard ply to 12mm birch, so if budget is a constraint, standard ply is better. MDF is much weaker, and will resonate a lot more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online