Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
To remind us that summer is over, Prom season (the proper one) commences on Friday 13th.

JANDL100

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 5, 2006
Forest of Dean, Glos
AKA
Jerry
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yup, my digital radio and minidisc recorder are at the ready !
smile.png

Logan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2005
NZ & Scotland
Indeed. I'm paying a quinquennial visit to London for 8 days during the Prom season so I awaited the appearance of the programme on the web with great interest. The aim was to book early and often (the same way that they vote in Boston and Chicago).

Alas, the days I'm scheduled to be in London have baroque concerts, UK regional orchestras that are the equal or less of anything I can hear in New Zealand, or recitalists and soloists of whom I have heard nothing playing works I have no wish to hear.

The days I'm forced to be out of London feature concerts and performers that I'd almost die to hear.

But is all lost? Part of my time away from London will be spent with exiled family near Edinburgh, at the time of the Festival. And what do I find on the Edinburgh programme on mydays there? Just about the same fare as listed above for the Proms.

Unhappy coincidence? No - this is a conspiricy. For exactly the same set of circumstances prevailed when I was last in the UK in August, in 2001. It was even worse then. The week I was in London the Concertgebouw played in Amsterdam and the VPO in Vienna. The weeks I was in Amsterdam and Vienna the respective orchestras were playing in London.

I'm not paranoid but I swear that someone has got it in for me.

SSM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Tipoca City
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Logan wrote:

I'm not paranoid but I swear that someone has got it in for me.
Tuff... :lmao::lmao::lmao:

ps: MB's in Embra. You two can hold the Wam's first ever classical music bakeoff
tongue.png

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Saw/heard bit of opening - o.k. ...

I will check out my tapes of the time they did Stockhausen + + .

Chumpy

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 3, 2005
Bristol UK
AKA
Charlie
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Avoiding Ashton Court, I/we enjoyed 'Proms' on BBC Radio3 FM on Saturday Bastille Day afternoon - mostly Mahler.

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Does anybody know if there are anymore organ pieces apart from?

Mon 3rd Sept Prom 67

Britten

Hymn to St Cecilia (11 mins)

Buxtehude

Praeludium in A minor, BuxWV 153; Komm, heiliger Geist, Herre Gott, BuxWV 199; Puer natus in Bethlehem, BuxWV 217; Passacaglia in D minor, BuxWV 161; Canzonetta in G major, BuxWV 171;Vater unser im Himmelreich, BuxWV 219; Praeludium in G minor, BuxWV 149 (25 mins)

D. Scarlatti

Stabat mater (26 mins)

John Scott organ

Daniel Hyde organ

Frances Kelly harp

David Miller theorbo

BBC Singers

David Hill conductor

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
There's plenty of good stuff
smile.png

Did anyone else get lots of static (white) noise on the right channel on the first Prom on Radio 3 FM in London? The internet was fine, but I thought my FM receiver was playing up (nightmare!), but it's been fine since.

Not much organ stuff though - shame as the organ there is terrific. I've been to a few recitals, just to get my sub-30Hz fix...

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Did anyone watch/listen to the BBC Phil and Noseda doing Mahler's 10th last night?

Saw it on BBC4, even over freeview the sound did not get in the way of what I thought was a great performance that had me transfixed for most of the evening. Now that's what I call quite good.

epca

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Barking
AKA
Ed
Heard the 1st movement last nightbefore I had to head out. Yes thought it good, will probably listen on the internet tonight.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zlatan