Beethoven Piano Concerto No 5

Jimmy Moff

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Lancaster (ish)
AKA
Jim
Can any ofyou helpful gentlefolk recommend a good recording/performance of Beethoven's Piano Concerto No 5?

Sorry, I still haven't bought the Rough Guide!

Cheers

Jim

Logan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 3, 2005
NZ & Scotland
I adore the early 1950s mono EMI recording by Solomon and the Philharmonia conducted by Menges. It is now available on CD (Testament). I've listened to dozens of more recent rivals with much better sonics, but I keep returning to this one. Perhaps because it was the very first piece of classical music that I actually listened to, and it started me on a life-long interest.

Someone once said that you reserve your fondest memories for your first experience, even though it might not necessarily have been the best. Were they talking about classical music or have I got it all wrong again?

Gromit

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 17, 2006
Yellowbellyshire
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've got 3 different recordings of this: Kempff's pair, both mono and strereo (the stereo is from 1961) and Stephen (Bishop) Kovacevich on Philips with the LSO/Davis.

Don't know if the old Kempff one is available anywhere but I've little doubt the '61 is. For me the 1961 edges it, but only just,purely for the improved sonics.

Jimmy Moff

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
Lancaster (ish)
AKA
Jim
Thanks very muchfor the replies.

Logan, I couldn't find the Solomon recording, but I know what you mean about the first experience always being fondly remembered. It applies to music as much as any other pleasurable experience.

Gromit, I found the Kempff cd on the Deutche Gramophon label. Concertos 4 and 5 on one disc. I intend toorder it next week (when I've been paid).

Cheers

Jim

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
I'm personally a big fan of Pollini... has that excellent clear, classical rendering... never over-the-top/over-showing... always in control.

Pollini

Haven't heard this, but Uchida might give a more contemporary interpretation...

B0009A41WE.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_V35890760_.jpg

Uchida

JJ

epca

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Barking
AKA
Ed
Kovacevich on Philips budget with Davis is good, as is the Solomon which also used to be available on EMIas part of a box containing all the concertos. The Solomon account is in good mono sound, while the Kovacevich is IIRC in decent analogue sound, but probably remastered nicely by now.

I would also look out for Gilels on an EMI Groc coupled with an excellent account of the 4th with Leopold Ludwig conducting, Gilels is also represented on EMI with the complete pno concertos with Szell and the Cleveland but it is spread over 2 doubles. Gilels was a famed Beethoven interpreter, and recorded the cycle quite a few times and his well regarded incomplete set of LvB sonatas has just been reissued by DG.

Clifford Curzon's account of the 4th and 5th in a Decca Legendary recording is also excellent IMHO. The 4th is mono and the 5th is in stereo, but sound has been remastered very successfully.

Edwin Fischer's mono account with Furtwangler is also excellent, but probably harder to find.

The 5th has probably been recorded by most pianists at some stage so the choice is absolutely massive.

Hope you get a recording you like.

Cheers

Ed

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I'm not a big fan of Beethoven's concerti but the Pierre Laurent Aimard set with Harnoncourt and Chamber Orchestra of Europe floated my boat a lot. Superb recordings too.

Glens of Antrim

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Norn Iron, , United
Jimmy Moff wrote:

Yep, the choice is huge. I've ordered this Kempff recording:-

Thanks to everyone who offered their advice.

Jim
Jim,

Great choice! You just can't go wrong with Kempff. I know because I have the same set, not the flashiest, or best recorded -but just right. Try Wilhelm's Beethoven sonatas too - bloody fantastic.

mighty ant

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 26, 2006
London, England
AKA
Anthony
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For mne it has to be the Daniel Barenboim/Otto Klemperer recordings on HMV or Angel. IMHO, Klemperer is the master when it comes to Beethoven, but what do I know.

Please don't all reply at once
smile.png

Anthony.

timh

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 21, 2007
Southampton, , Unite
Brendel/Rattle (not just to be controversial) -

throughout the set it is clear that they both

think about the music but there are also so

many flashes of humour in the way that the

orchestra and piano relate to one another.

I like valves.

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2007
Lancashire, United K
AKA
Simon
I've just had a look through my classical collection and I have this concerto played by Wilhelm Backhaus with Clemens Krauss conducting the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. It's on the Decca label (ffrr) and must be early fifties. It could do with a clean but it looks very acceptable. It's playing now and sounds rather good for a fifty year old lp. Is it worth anything? Si.

jonjin

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
London
trident wrote:

My vote would got to Pollini/Bohm/Vienna Phil. In fact the whole set is a top recommendation.
Heard Polini play this live the other day at the New Royal Festival Hall (which after the upgrades sound fantastic! you could hear a pin drop whilst an orchestra is playing - that is how good the acoustics are!). Anyways, Polini did make a few mistakes and took a while to get warmed up... He does have a more classical sense of style, very controled and poised... very even handed and doesn't add too much flowering to the piece.

If you want something romantic, the Klemperer or Barenboim would be excellent.

JJ

I like valves.

Wammer
Wammer
May 21, 2007
Lancashire, United K
AKA
Simon
I like valves. wrote:

I've just had a look through my classical collection and I have this concerto played by Wilhelm Backhaus with Clemens Krauss conducting the Vienna Philharmonic Orchestra. It's on the Decca label (ffrr) and must be early fifties. It could do with a clean but it looks very acceptable. It's playing now and sounds rather good for a fifty year old lp. Is it worth anything? Si.
Does anyone want this lp? It's free but you'll have to collect it as it's fragile. It looks like it's made out of the same stuff as the old 78's so I don't fancy posting it. You may be able to make other arrangements. The only condition is that it goes to someone who wants to enjoy it. I've given good stuff away before only to find out that the recipient has flogged it on and that upsets me. That's why I asked if it was worth anything. I have a lot of other classical lp's which I'm prepared to give away. If you let me know what you like, I'll see what I have. Same proviso, only ask if you want the enjoyment of listening to them. Si.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles