Bel Canto eVo2i amplifier

U

Umberto

Well i finally got round to writing a review of this awesome piece of kit.

Eqipment used

Primare D30.2 CD player

Art Skibo speakers

Krystal Kables XLR balanced interconnects

Atlas Apex speaker cable

Out of the box

This is one heavy f***er. It is a pretty amp IMHO with a thick aluminium front and de-riguer black wrap. The Bel Canto is slightly different from your usual fare in that you won't find big heatsinks adorning it. It is a Class T amp in that it uses PWM and all that stuff to amplify the signal meaning that it is more efficient than a standard Class AB amp and runs cool.

Setting up

The Bel Canto can work straight off simply by plugging it in and then wiring it up to the rest of the system but it can also be customised to your own requirements. This seems slightly complicated at first with its sleek touch-screen remote control and flourescent display but a quick read of the instructions and you are away. The remote control is also learning-capable and can control up to 10 others.

Sound Quality

In a word, awesome. This is an amp with plenty of grip. Depth and slam are in abundance (infact it shows up my CD player) but its main attribute is its detail. It drags up every last ounce. Voices are rendered with great diction, you can hear the lips of the singer openiing. Infact voices are probably its strong suit however it does most things very well indeed. On Pink Floydsbrick in the wallInner detail such as the warbling of synths, is clear and precise. The decay of instruments such as snare drums and electric guitars, something which many amplifers fail to get, is also clearly audible.

Sum up

This is a classy amplifier that will do justice to many systems. In that context, even my CD player is slightly outclassed by it but not by any great degree. It will certainly bring out the best in what ever source equipment youhave.

muzique man

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 22, 2005
Winchburgh,West Loth
AKA
chris
Umberto really glad your happy with it. Now you can sit back and annoy the crap out off your neighbours:D

But then they maybe glad to hear something sooo good:shock:

Enjoy Buddy Boy:dude:

RJdio

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
, , Malaysia
Umberto - mine should be on its way from the US. We can compare notes.

I really hope its the cracker they all say it is.

U

Umberto

I doubt you will be dissapointed RJdio.

Have just tried it with a better power lead as recommended by some of the chaps. Can't hear a lot of difference TBH.

Might try one of Franks power leads.

G

Umberto you've changed IIRC three major components now in a short space of time . I'd leave anymore tweaking alone now till you've fully accustomised to the sounds emanating from your lovely system. Then when you know the set up inside out i start tweaking the cables side if you want to. Just my advice. Oh and stay away from AK's rig as it seems to induce upgraditis to everyone that hears it.

PS I noticed on another forum today;)A Bow Wizard Cd player and wand remote. I take ityoupm'd the seller just to wish him good luck;)

U

Umberto

I have pm'd the seller to wish him salutations.

erm...actually i made him offer. :D

G

Duvet wrote:

AK's rig as it seems to induce upgraditis to everyone that hears it.
he was warned, now the poor boy has heard the Emotions, in fact all of us who have heard the Emotions, want to own a pair, now, or in the future :shock:

U

Umberto

Still marvelling at the amount of detail this amp is dragging up. :D

I do want the Emotions....badly.... but it may be a while before i can afford them. I can barely afford the CD upgrade at the mo :(

I think i've got the super upgraditis bug resistant to all forms of common sense :shock:

G

Umberto Vanni wrote:

I think i've got the super upgraditis bug resistant to all forms of common sense :shock:
first class :Grin::Grin::Grin::Grin::Grin::Grin:

Jasper

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2005
In the country, , Un
Umberto Vanni wrote:

Still marvelling at the amount of detail this amp is dragging up.
biggrin.png
Hi Umberto

Where in US did you order your Bel Canto from if you don't mind me asking?

RJdio

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
, , Malaysia
Mine just arrived!! Have to pay VAT first, but I get it this afternoon. I got mine from the US also, found through Audiogon. Some easy mucking about to get it to 220 and it should be singing by tomorrow.

U

Umberto

Well looks like the Bel Canto is going back. Make no mistake, its a very good amp and 99% of people would be happy to own one but i have heard many amps and after prolonged listening to the BC, i find it slightly clinical sounding. I preferamore open midrange. The BC does a lot of things very well although it is perhaps not idealy suited to the skibos with their slightly bright and lean balance.

I will be sad to see the BC go in some respects but holpefully the next amp should sort out the midrange issue.

U

Umberto

Hey Russell. Would have to phone up while you were in demming the amp
biggrin.png

Hope you weren't too set on it. The chap on the phone thought a war was about to break out .:sw:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online