Best £150 MP3 player.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Best £150 MP3 player.

Dudes have a friend who is about to buy a £150 MP3 player, What is the best on the market at this prices range, I am thinking a 20Gb model should do him very well. Ie the :

ARCHOS GMINI XS202S 20Gb MP3 PLAYER or is it worth spending another £30 loolas on a Ipod 30Gb Video model ? Any views welcome.

G

Creative Zen. I've used there 60gb model for three years now and a totally hassle free experience. Good sound . An ipod eater imho.

Anthony

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 9, 2006
Edinburgh, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
i have a 512Mb ipod shuffle. sound is good, it is absolutely tiny, and you can fit over 8 hours worth of stuff on there.

you don't have the flexibility of a screen and have to have a random shuffle or play the tracks in the order you put them in, but to be honest i only put stuff on there i have recently bought and like so don't worry about what it going to be played next. and it's dead easy to update on itunes.

having 3 million tracks onsome 100gbmachine would just give metoo much choice. plus these machines get superseded so quickly.

for a cheap (£55), good sounding, very small mp3 i have found it excellent. he can then spend £100 on music to put on it.

just my opinion.

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
What about this beasty 30Gb Ipod Video £190 Amazon chaps :

B000BAFN6K.01.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Reason I am thinking Ipods are the accessories like docking stations in the future.

PS where are the best sites to buy MP3 kit from ?

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Apple will have the resale value as well. Does the guy need as much as 20gb? I never use my iPod any more, but it was only 1gb. Enough for a thousand songs!

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
cjr wrote:

Reason I am thinking Ipods are the accessories like docking stations in the future.

CJ, I had a play with one of these in an Apple (pah) shop the other day. It was so sexy and the video looked so good that I almost whent over to the dark side. however the one in the shop was sctratched and I have read about this problem before. Also the sound was quite good, but only through some Bose noise reduction cans, which cost more than the bloody ipod.

Read the consumer reviews on Amazon for these. Basically, if you breath near it, touch it, or put it in your pocket it will get scratched. Also many bitch about dodgy itunes and user interface not being great.

But be warned SONIC STAGE SUCKS. The Sony interface to my Clie for music downloads is all but impossible to use, and I am a software engineer by trade.

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
cjr wrote:

Got to be one of the safest bets IMO, it may be bettered in some areas but I believe what it offers as a total package is pretty much at the top of the tree. Its easy to use, has plenty of accessory options and is likely to have better resale value if he needed to sell it.

HAwk

contour

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 25, 2006
, , Netherlands
iPod is defenitly the way to go in terms of user friendlyness imo.The sound threw a dock(or a wire that provides a genuine line out ) is good as well and I personally only use 160kbps(I need the space on my 40gb iPod photo).When I compare to the original cd the differences in soundstage are pretty obvious(of course in favour of the cd) but still there's a real good sound close to the original only with smaller soundstage.Bass essepcialy is very good in my set up, not wooly or slow but nice and punchy. Also the iTune music store is great when you just need one song from an artist but won't be bothered to buy the whole cd.Pair it up with some nice headphones(AKG K26P for instance or some Grado's sr60's) and you have a real entertaining music system on the go.

And of course the iPod is the coolest:p

Chewie

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
The Fens
AKA
Carl
Hawk wrote:

cjr wrote:

Got to be one of the safest bets IMO, it may be bettered in some areas but I believe what it offers as a total package is pretty much at the top of the tree. Its easy to use, has plenty of accessory options and is likely to have better resale value if he needed to sell it.

HAwk
I agree with every word Hawk has written :^it’s the industry leader and rightfully so, it sounds great and has more accessories than all it competitor combined. I’ve had one since it launch and its operated faultlessly.

A word to the wise ;)tell your friend to hold off until the 1st April, Apple have a huge event planed and updated 5th generation iPod’s are expected.

tino

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2005
Southampton, , Unite
I have over 200gb worth of songs on My hard drive and its increasing weekly.

The Creative range is a underated product that sounds very nice imo. If you replace the budget headphones.

Also the ipod Photo doesn't have as long a battery life as some ipod's which are poor incomparison with other products as it is.

paulfromcamden

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 5, 2006
London SE3
AKA
Paul
cjr wrote:

Best £150 MP3 player.Dudes have a friend who is about to buy a £150 MP3 player, What is the best on the market at this prices range, I am thinking a 20Gb model should do him very well. Ie the :

ARCHOS GMINI XS202S 20Gb MP3 PLAYER or is it worth spending another £30 loolas on a Ipod 30Gb Video model ? Any views welcome.
Couple of thoughts based on my experience with a 20gb Archos Gmini.

I'm more and more inclined to switch to a flash player - they won't die if you drop them, battery life is way better and (I don't think??) the drives get fragmented. I thought 20gb would be way more than enought space but in fact it's too small to store everything I want to so I find myself transferring stuff to every couple of days anyhow. In reality a couple of Gb would work just as well.

Make sure you can charge from the usb slot! It's a pain in the arse having a dead battery as work and a charger in your living room...

Make sure you can just mount the player as a usb drive and don't have to mess around with the vendors software.

I thought playing videos would be quite nifty but I can't remember the last time I used it for that. And messing round with the codecs etc is a royal pain. If you really want to watch movies on the tube buy a psp.

fwiw a mate (on his 5th player!) is loving this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B000E9Q1CS/qid=1143573213/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_xs_ap_i1_xgl/203-4939651-3424736

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Thanks chaps interesting reading he is veering towards the Ipod 30Gb, is it worth holding off till the 1st of April to buy ?

tino

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 29, 2005
Southampton, , Unite
Its 30years since Apple started. So expect some nice surprise's. I would wait if you could.

edit: Also I agree with paulfromcamden a flash player does have a longer battery life and is alot more durable.

jon

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
, ,
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member