Best 2 bay server / nas ?

V

Voice_Coil

any ideas please people ?

ive looked at synology and qnap, but to be honest they all seem much of a muchness.

What are you people using ? Are there any reasons to one brand over any other when it comes to media storage ?

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The new Qnap 219p mk.2 does look decent & in terms of H/W looks similar to the Synology DS213/13+ these two marques have the rep of being about the best around. A lot of people seem to prefer/rate the Synologys better in terms of ease of setup/use.

Netgears New midrange 2bay Nas looks good too I think its the 102 or summat too & they've upped the ante in terms of processor + Ram over the Duo. The casework is prolly an easier fit with hi-fi eqpmt as its less plasticky than Syno/Qnap however the noise although better than the Duo is still over 25db whereas the Synology 2013 models are 19db or less....so far I'm v impressed with how quiet mine is. The casework is v well damped. Mines going in the bedroom, but I'd have thought many peeps would have no issue siting it in their listening room.

The Netgear would deffo be intrusive if you do lotsa low level listening & even at moderate levels would bug some people. That's the reason I originally sited my Duo in the bedroom.

A strong point for the Synology is the Audio Station which you can install this enables you to use the DS213 as a local media player & can feed a usb dac @ up to 24bit/96khz. I'm going to use mine like this in my second system.....which allows me to ditch my planned streamer upgrade in there. :cool:

They are v easy to setup too & lots of useful apps......the UI does make Netgears Raidiator C/P seem v clunky & the speed of stuff loading up on the web browser & overall slickness will take some getting used to.

G

I have the ds213+ and I got it as it was always the best reviewed among its competition.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Shit......just get this thread closed already.....you have yer feckin' answer!!!!! :^

V

Voice_Coil

I have the ds213+ and I got it as it was always the best reviewed among its competition.
do you know if i can run twonky media server on this ? via my pc.

vacdac

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2011
Manchester
AKA
Chris
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It'll run Twonky media server natively.......most people would buy a Nas to stream from tho'.

Lots of people seem to say that Twonky media server is completely Shite.......how do you propose using the Nas, cos I'm not sure why you'd need to use your computer, unless you mean using a browser as a control point?

I'm currently using Synolgys own UpnP/DLNA server App installed on the Nas from Synologys package centre, to stream to my C.A. SM6 & it seems to be v good. Twonky is pretty much the same as this really in a fancy custom 'skin'.

My guess would be that using a web page on your pooter as a control point would not be nearly as slick as using a smartphone/tablet....just based on my own experience of progressing through trying all these things.

TBH I'm not 100% this is what you meant??? Do you already have the kit you plan on using or are you considering using the DS213 to output digital Audio?

Caveat.......the decent processing power of the DS213 may help with web pages not being too laggy/being slow to load up but it still will never approach the speed/slickness of a Tablet running a decent controller App IMV

do you know if i can run twonky media server on this ? via my pc.

PitBull

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2008
Zurich, , Switzerlan
Greetings,

You are correct that Synology and QNAP are generally reckoned to be the best - Netgear probably next but generally their performance is poor by comparison (although robustness is fine). Thecus have their followers, as do Buffalo, and there's also home-build stuff like FreeNAS...

I've had a number of QNAP units - seems to be a never ending cycle of firmware updates as QNAP fix one thing only to break several more. My TS-439 Pro II+ looks to have a hardware fault with one of the disk slots (this unit itself being a warranty replacement for an earlier TS-439 Pro that had the same issue) and my two TS-239 Pros have long been consigned to the retirement cupboard. I'll be looking at Synology next time - already thinking about their new-ish 8-bay DS1813+

davidcotton

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 9, 2005
, , United Kingdom
Another vote (unsurprisingly) for the synology here. I had the qnap 101 back in the day and it was nothing but hassle (might have been due to running whatever squeezecentre natively on it). Lockups, sluggish performance. Had it running for a week and it's fine. Streaming to two squeezeboxs over homeplugs.

pgarrish

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2011
Preston, Lancashire,
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Anyone running the Triode Spotify app on a DSJ213 into an SBT or similar? I've seen mixed posts on the Synology forum so I'd like to know it will work before I buy one.

C

chris217

Anyone running the Triode Spotify app on a DSJ213 into an SBT or similar? I've seen mixed posts on the Synology forum so I'd like to know it will work before I buy one.
It works perfectly for me on my Synology DS110j, which is supposedly a bit underpowered to run it.

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you are happy building a machine, it is also worth looking at the HP micro servers and windows home server. Especially if you can hide the server away.

Werner

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 5, 2008
Antwerp, , Belgium
I have been using a QNAP 219Pii for more than a year now, as main file server for the household and AV streamer to various end-points (smart TVs, AVR, Pioneer N50). Very happy with it, generally. It is just too noisy to keep in the open-plan living space, so to the basement it went, where it is nice and cold.

I plan on adding another NAS within the year, for redundancy of services. Probably a Synology. I don't want to risk that QNAP changing anything in their software breaks something over here. Especially the TVs are nervous with respect to DLNA.

pgarrish

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2011
Preston, Lancashire,
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you are happy building a machine, it is also worth looking at the HP micro servers and windows home server. Especially if you can hide the server away.
I think I might hang fire until they do another cashback offer on these. They strike me as a lot more flexible than a pure NAS. Do they have RAID is the question though?

dudywoxer

Looking for a bigger stirring stick
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
sunny scunny
AKA
colin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You can raid the drives, but do not rely on it as a back up (any raid). I would rather use a small drive for the os, a second drive for storage, and a usb back up. Whs can be set up to automatically back up to internal or external drives. Mine also backs up the other machines on the network to itself. Then backs up the back up. It streams music to the sb's, video to the telly, acts as a file server for the office and pictures. I am tempted by the newest HP micro server with the I3 cpu.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles