Best all-time Manchester band

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
5,224
27
93
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
Tempting to suggest The Smiths, Stone Roses, or even the Chameleons. Maybe the Fall, but they’ve produced their fair share of mediocrity amongst the good stuff. But for longevity and consistency its probably got to be New Order. Also a honourable mention for Inspiral Carpets, even if only for the haircuts.

 
B

Bry-Fi

Guest
Matt J wrote:

Joy division for me, on the flip side, I cant stand New Order!
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif


 

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
9,074
15
0
Errrr, at the risk of being pedantic (who? Me?): Joy Division are not really a Manchester band, `cos Curtis was from Macclesfield, in a whole different county....

But, if we are counting them a Manchesterband, they ARE THE BEST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Boxer

 

flapland

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Feb 17, 2007
2,823
46
78
Hampstead, London UK
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
The Chameleons or even that other Middleton (!) export Sad Cafe.

Ok maybe not although Every Day Hurts isn't a bad track. Sound more West Coast USA than small North Manchester town band.

Athough Joy Division must take top place.

 
B

batman

Guest
usual sospects for me , the smiths , stone roses , new order but why no mention of the doves:shock:these boys are up ther as well .... as a footnote to follow on from a previous thread , manchester has a far superior band back catalogue than liverpool ....

 

Sheva

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 4, 2006
5,224
27
93
Chiavenna
AKA
Sheva
batman wrote:

usual sospects for me , the smiths , stone roses , new order but why no mention of the doves:shock:these boys are up ther as well .... as a footnote to follow on from a previous thread , manchester has a far superior band back catalogue than liverpool ....
don't i know it, i was thinking of running a parallel thread into Best alltime Liverpool band and i was really struggling : my suggestion would have been Flock of Seagulls:oops:.

 
B

Bry-Fi

Guest
Sheva wrote:

don't i know it, i was thinking of running a parallel thread into Best alltime Liverpool band and i was really struggling : my suggestion would have been Flock of Seagulls:oops:.
Echo and the Bunnymen:^ ......whoops, ok back to Manchester......

 

Jimmy Moff

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 18, 2006
878
43
58
Lancaster (ish)
AKA
Jim
In my opinion the best band ever to come out of Manchester is I Am Kloot. John Bramwell's an extremely clever lyricist and their music is immensely powerful.

 

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
9,074
15
0
Sheva wrote:

batman wrote:
usual sospects for me , the smiths , stone roses , new order but why no mention of the doves:shock:these boys are up ther as well .... as a footnote to follow on from a previous thread , manchester has a far superior band back catalogue than liverpool ....
don't i know it, i was thinking of running a parallel thread into Best alltime Liverpool band and i was really struggling : my suggestion would have been Flock of Seagulls:oops:.
As Bryo sed: Bunnymen!!!!!!! Or Teardrop Explodes, even though Cope is from Lichfield.....

Doves are OK, but not up to JD, or even Lionel's suggestion of Magazine (albums just been re-issued: BUY THEM ALL!!!!!).

Boxer

 

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
109,313
Messages
2,317,624
Members
69,453
Latest member
k23435