maddog_007
Wammer
Oct 17, 2018
Waterfoot ,Glasgow
AKA
dennis
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was there too & it remains my favourite gig ever, though we were at stage level about 6 rows back. It was amazing, the queue was mental as you say. Four of us drove up from Sheffield in a Ford Capri, about an hour into the journey 4th gear kept popping out so the drive had to sort of cock his leg over & hold it in with the back of the knee, typical it happened on such a long journey, but just part of the memories now.

In my teens my cousin from Gloucester came up on holiday and I liked Alice Cooper but he raved on about Bowie!.
"No more Mr Nice Guy" was one of my first 45's,but I soon had a cassette collection of Bowie's albums.
Like you that concert has never been surpassed since!.

Reactions: Gizza

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have been to so many, but in event terms:

Live Aid July 1985, Wembley Stadium, is the most memorable. So much greatness..

Reactions: Ray Vardy and Gizza

Chumpchops

From the safest places come the bravest words.
Wammer
Oct 3, 2014
Bristol
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bauhaus 05/07/1983 Hammersmith Palais

Seen them many times. Best was at Routes Club, Exeter, August 1980, promoting first LP. Dramatic.
Being an Exeter Uni student, I also saw killing joke in Exeter around the same time, who were equally stunning.

My dad worked for A&M records, so I was also lucky to see the Police doing a warm up gig pre Regatta de BLanc release, also at the tiny Routes club. They were brilliant in that ’were gonna be big’ way, and with that certain dynamic that 3 piece bands do live. Got to go back stage and hang out afterwards too. No drugs but plenty of booze

Reactions: Gizza and DUVET

toms wait

Wammer
Wammer
May 20, 2015
Lancaster
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A few really
Led Zeppelin Knebworth 4/8/79
Robert Plant with Honeydrippers, Retford Porterhouse 4/5/81
The Smiths Liverpool University 14/3/84
Pink Floyd Manchester City ground 8/8/88
James Manchester 4/12/93

Leeken

Wammer
Feb 1, 2022
Wirral
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Best was Pink Floyd Earl’s Court 94,that was amazing,most memorable was rolling stones at Maine road in 1990 was brilliant,first concert I ever went to,and a absolutely amazing night seeing the prodigy at a rave before they were famous around the time Charley came out.
Every time I’ve seen Hawkwind I’m always amazed as well.

DerDritteRaum

New Wammer
Sep 4, 2021
Sydney
AKA
Scott
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So many… Can at the Roundhouse, Alice supported by Roxy.. But I guess the most important was my first. Pink Floyd at Crystal Palace May’71. 16 years old and things were never the same
I think the same way, as many of the great gigs I remember though the years I still remember the anticipation and excitement of my first. Drove down from Scotland to Sheffield playing songs in the car all the way, learning the words to all the songs in the weeks beforehand so I would be able to sing along and then the waiting until the band came onstage with so much anticipation. Amazing memories that will never leave me.

Springsteen, Tunnel of Love Tour, Bramall Lane Sheffield, July 1988

Although, big shout goes to Prince with Piano and Mic in Sydney Feb 2016.

34 years of seeing live some of the best bands in the world, I'm retired from gigs now for the most part due to being old and with tinnitus but do come out every now again for special occasions. Beck acoustic show next year will be very cool.

Turn it up!

Wam Bam
Wammer Plus
Nov 27, 2012
Brighton
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It sure if I’ve written in this thread before? Anyway…

Fishbone - Astoria 1989
Grace Jones - Roundhouse 2009
Ravi Shankar - Womad 1997
Ozric Tentacles - The Crypt 1988
Colin Stetson - Bethnal Grn Church 2015

pmcuk

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 12, 2015
Kensington, London
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Well, since I'm a musician and had my own band in the 1980s playing all my own songs, it's going to be the gig we did with Armen Donelian on piano in Club 7, Oslo. Very fine American jazz pianist who was visiting Norway to see his girlfriend, so we pinched him for the gig.

He liked one of my songs that we played - A Reverie - and recorded it later for solo piano.

Reactions: Ray Vardy and Gizza

Mr Kandid

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Marcus Miller Usher Hall Edinburgh 4/7/15
Stanley Clarke St Luke’s Glasgow 24/7/17
quite a few very famous jazz artists but these two most memorable. (y)

Reactions: lowendall

jamesrfisher

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 20, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
For years it was Sonic Youth at The Forum in the 90s (Washing Machine tour). The support band were not the best and people started storming the stage. Atmosphere waiting for SY to come on was full of energy, building up, they came on hit the first note and the place went wild. I was about 2/3 back and got caught up in the moshpit. When I got home I had bruises all over, my white trainers were black and my shirt was ripped - great times!

This got overtaken seeing David Byrne's American Utopia Tour in Brighton Centre. Such an amazing show, the way it was produced, the choreography of the band moving around, playing Talking Heads Songs (including my fave I Zimbra). Not my favourite venue, too much like an aircraft hanger but you could tell it was special, we were towards the back and no one speaking or walking back and forth getting beers, just everyone caught i the moment. Very Special.

Special mention to Glastonbury 2009, Neil Young and Blur, still get goosebumps when I hear Tender.

Signs

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 14, 2019
Probably my first Gig at the age of 15 with a couple of mates ,

Motörhead - Birmingham Odeon 1982

Tazzo

Wammer
Apr 27, 2022
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Rolling Stones in Glasgow SEC 2003. Was right at the front of the stage and was the first time I saw them live.

petrichor

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2013
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Junior Walker and The All Stars in Manchester about 1970. Only a few feet away from stage. Amazing, had 2 drummers in band (1 of which his son). Found out later this was common practice at Motown as well as sometimes 2 bass players. Regretfully this was the only Motown act I saw as money was tight back then.

Heatwave in Southport early eighties. Fantastic act. The organ player and songwriter, the late Rod Temperton went on to write Michael Jackson's "Thriller".

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
There were lots of good ones but the one that comes to mind now..
Late 70s at a festival early in the day. My mate & I were soaked to the skin after heavy rain. The sun came out & was shining on the side of the P.A. , so we removed most of our clothes & hung them on the spkr stack. Hear a guy tuning his guitar round the other side (that sounded familiar). It was an impromptu appearance from John Martyn. Just him and his effects box.
Quite brilliant I remember, and on reflection was the best John Martyn show I have ever seen. Maybe it was the surprise element but I loved him even more after that show. :)
I saw John 7 times over the years, enjoyed every one of them but even more moving was a tribute concert in memory of him. It was at Brum Town Hall organised by Danny Thompson in 2010, for his 'Curly Haired Mate', at which several musicians each did one of 2 John Martyn numbers of their choice. Danny was visibly very moved by the occasion, as was I.

MusicMan76

Just do what you know to be right!
Wammer Plus
Mar 1, 2023
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
O that is easy...the one with the lowest decibels.......

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles