Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
So I have a system that goes along nicely ,but I suspect I need to move another step along with the cd playback but not a clue budget certainly used ,poss less than £200 if poss . I have these old stuff my Sony 35 years old I suspect

G4 big speakers I like them ,cheap Yamaha a s500 amp seems ok ,but a cheap as chips Denon dcd f101 mini system feeding a original Beresford dac I know the little Denon is rather poor but it runs silent unlikey other cd player a Alesis hard disk thing sounds quiet good but the noise its a master deck ml 9000 or 9600 it's got recorder side as well . A small hard drive I used it to make live recordings on with a cheap mixer and a very basic pair of condenser mics . Etc any way . Any input suggestions ,I will say many years ago I had Avery much enjoyed the original Rega planet top load cd player but it got moved on in a big sell up and house move ,I am a musician and also teach music bass and cello in schools ,so I like things to be not too hyped or boosted I suppose . Listen to every thing really classical jazz mostly .

Paul68

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2021
West Lothian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A marantz cd6006, well made and fairly new, if you want a bit of reliability.
For £200 the sound quality is good, you won't feel short changed.
I've had a marantz cd 6004 for over 10 years and it's still going strong.

Reactions: lowendall

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
A marantz cd6006, well made and fairly new, if you want a bit of reliability.
For £200 the sound quality is good, you won't feel short changed.
I've had a marantz cd 6004 for over 10 years and it's still going strong.
Yes looking out for a marantz ,Yamaha sort of thing I am not I think moved either way with badges names etc so I will find something I am sure but like the input ideas etc . Thanks . Had this little Denon f 101 from a little compact hifi for last 5 years it cost me I think £20 in the end and actually it's cheap but with nice CDs it sound ok on its own ,just moved etc and had some fairly serious health issues ,getting better now so I got the hifi out of garage squashed in to a little space . Using the Beresford dac as a head phone amp . Goes ok.

Reactions: Jezzer

Paul68

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2021
West Lothian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Yes looking out for a marantz ,Yamaha sort of thing I am not I think moved either way with badges names etc so I will find something I am sure but like the input ideas etc . Thanks . Had this little Denon f 101 from a little compact hifi for last 5 years it cost me I think £20 in the end and actually it's cheap but with nice CDs it sound ok on its own ,just moved etc and had some fairly serious health issues ,getting better now so I got the hifi out of garage squashed in to a little space . Using the Beresford dac as a head phone amp . Goes ok.
Enjoyment of music is the end goal doesn't matter if you spend £10 or any number of money.
As long as you're happy that's all that matters.
I wish you the best of health @lowendall

Reactions: Gizza and lowendall

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Enjoyment of music is the end goal doesn't matter if you spend £10 or any number of money.
I would like very much to thank the very helpful and thoughtful messages I have received in hear but also out side this electronic via my old email ,a big thank you I have been lifted .thank you after a tuff couple of years and some tuff emotional times. Mental stress health anxiety and subsequent issues shaking stammer ,amongst them . I am going to be either a arcam of a marantz 6003 6002 sort of thing for cd duties .to get a bit more boogie going in my system ,I am contemplating . Thank you but also reminded that as long as you got good tunes ,even my modest little set up is fit ,and I whole heartedly agree . James brown blasting away on a little Sony system , at work one of those with plastic boxes and lots of lights ,three cd spinner type things sometimes fill me with joy . Thank you rich

Reactions: Paul68

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Denon dcd 1520 on eBay
I am looking couldn't get the exact link to work ,but yes lots of dvd going I might actually go that way some £30 or less I have the old Beresford fac the original one if I don't enjoy cd sound but use dvd player as a transport . Going to look just now also been offered a Cambridge audio cd player nice cheap thing I like the diver look as well . Thank you . Rich

Nopiano

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 19, 2016
Monmouthshire, Wales
AKA
Nick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am looking couldn't get the exact link to work ,but yes lots of dvd going I might actually go that way some £30 or less I have the old Beresford fac the original one if I don't enjoy cd sound but use dvd player as a transport . Going to look just now also been offered a Cambridge audio cd player nice cheap thing I like the diver look as well . Thank you . Rich
Just FYI the blue ‘eBay’ link isn’t a link at all. It’s automated on the forum, for a reason I’m not sure of. Maybe the Wam earns 0.1 cent every time we click it?

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Who makes G4 speakers?
Hi the speakers are very very old Sony model I think they were called heritage series ,I enjoy mine they bounce along especially in the bass the cabs sing along as well, !!! , I am thinking maybe the crossover needs a re fresh components and may be even the treble which is a basic thing might be better with new ferro fluid but I don't have any one near in Fife for these sorts of shenanigans . There 2 feet tall 12 inch wide and 12 inches back to front . I had a very nice set of DCM studio 12 tannoy these were kept over them ,I am not saying the Sony's were better but they held up in many ways ,. The Sony's do go low if the recordings have low on them . I have pictures I will put up , I have only ever seen maybe two or three sets of these in last 30 years but I haven't been looking much . Regards rich .

bigrod

Super Wammer .. Pussy 🐈 lover
Wammer
Mar 12, 2013
D H LAWRENCE TOWN
AKA
Julian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SONY SACD / CD / DVD player
Cheap as chips
Can get them for as little as £50
I have one in the mancave you can try it f you’re local to Nottingham

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
SONY SACD / CD / DVD player
Cheap as chips
Can get them for as little as £50
I have one in the mancave you can try it f you’re local to Nottingham
Thank you ,for input, I am moving towards maybe getting rid of a original Beresford dac as well , any ideas about what Sony cd models give acceptable cd use,a few have also suggested Denon bvb players but cannot get what models they are suggesting for the £50 limit ,but also trying to get a local cheap Sony or even a Cambridge audio 350 in gumtree but it's still more than the£30 pounds I want to give up . Regards. Richard . I used a very very cheap Sony dvd with the Beresford quiet happily for 4 or 5 years . It was fine . Then moved to also cheap I mean I think it was £15 pound Denon f101 small half box player ,just using its own inbuilt sound .plays CDs fine ,all the best to you .just brought a load of used jazz CDs so got sounds to check out .rich

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought off @rabski his Pioneer PD 9700 stable platter for relative peanuts and build quality is excellent as in the sound . Patience and a bargain will fall in your lap
Yes in deed patience or don't look ,I was looking out for the nice few bits ,thing wil come along I know ,I might have somegood fortune soon ,so that will be good . I got a few bits of pa bass guitar stuff to move on ,I got a mate going to give me a hand with this in a while . I can and do use the Denon f101 as a spinner in to this old Beresford dac. It sounds ok actually rather ,but it's more to use as a head phone amp for late night tunes but strangely the F101 little half size thing plays my old reissue CDs perfectly fine . Ella Fitzgerald on at moment sounding rather good on a album called jammin it's great . Recorded nicely as well I would say .

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
@lowendall
As you already have a DAC then grab this from the classifieds, its all you'll ever need and is in budget.
https://www.hifiwigwam.com/threads/cambridge-audio-cxc-transport-immaculate-and-boxed-with-warranty-£200.118005/
thanks i will think about this , thank you for taking the time, my dac is a odl beresford, which a a friend of mine is been trying to get his hands on it for a while , i had a 30 offer on a cambridge 350 cd player, she might get back to me, , but this is also looks a great deal, regards rich. another chap in hear is also speaking to me about some thing he has, maybe just to go for postage and a little beer money, etc,, lots of very helpfull things, lovely,. rich

lowendall

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 14, 2009
Scotland
AKA
happy enough
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thank you for you kind words just found this post I am not so good 😊 n hear with posts etc .

Reactions: Paul68

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles