Bi amping

darrenm

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
, , United Kingdom
I tried it before, and made a nice difference.

I can't now with the Dyn's though - they are single wire only...

My worry is, surely a £1000 amp will be better than a £500 integrated with the matching £500 power amp...?

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
at the minute I'm biamping from single chassis (using the A+B setting on the Technics power) and it works rather well - really tightened and extended the bass on the Sony standmounts.

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Biscuit wrote:

at the minute I'm biamping from single chassis (using the A+B setting on the Technics power) and it works rather well - really tightened and extended the bass on the Sony standmounts.
Is that really bi amping ?

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
dunno - maybe its more like bi-wiring, but not sure tbh, seems to have a positive effect on the sound anyways. The amp specs are slightly different when driving A+B, so I don't think its simple bi-wiring.

G

Davewhityetagain wrote:

Biscuit wrote:
Is that really bi amping ?
Technically no .
tongue.png
I biwire cos i don't like empty plugs:fly:

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
thinking about it, it would have to be a 4-channel amp to properly bi-amp like that. Am I saying that bi-wiring works then?
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif

why does it say that when using both A+B then speakers have to be 8-16 Ohm whereas they can be 4-16 when just using the A terminals?

chezi61

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Fife , Scotland.
I used to and it worked wonders with Audiolab with Quad 11L's and MA GR20's , but alas no longer as even if I could afford another Marantz amp , speakers don't allow it.

Not that I'm complaining, I get surround sound out what I got.
biggrin.png

chezi.

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I was for a while however sold a power amp to fund my new CDP, I will get back to bi-amping as soon as funds allow,

Regards

PB

Davewhityetagain

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 24, 2005
, ,
Polarbear wrote:

I was for a while however sold a power amp to fund my new CDP, I will get back to bi-amping as soon as funds allow,Regards

PB
I would have thought are robbing that place you have plenty of dosh
smile.png

A

Alex A

Biscuit wrote:

thinking about it, it would have to be a 4-channel amp to properly bi-amp like that. Am I saying that bi-wiring works then?
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif
why does it say that when using both A+B then speakers have to be 8-16 Ohm whereas they can be 4-16 when just using the A terminals?
Yeah it's bi-wiring as you're just adding the extra load to the existing 2 channels. Exactly the same effect as double wiring the terminals on an amp with just one set of outputs.

When using A+B they recommend that each speaker is 8-16 ohms because when you double them up and have all 4 speakers connected, the load presented to each amp channel is 4-8 ohms (half - correct me if i'm wrong someone).

If you had 2 sets of 4-8 ohm speakers it would present an overall load below 4 ohms, which upsets some amps! However, if you biamp the same pair of speakers from the same amp this isn't an issue as althogh you're using A+B, the overall load is the same as it would be were it single wired.

My Krell is stable to 0.5ohm, so I can have 2 pairs of 1 ohm speakers. Do I win £10?

Polarbear

Old bear
Wammer Plus
Jul 24, 2005
AKA
PB
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Davewhityetagain wrote:

Polarbear wrote:
I was for a while however sold a power amp to fund my new CDP, I will get back to bi-amping as soon as funds allow,Regards

PB
I would have thought are robbing that place you have plenty of dosh
smile.png
Shhhhh!

cefnlad

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
North Wales
AKA
Peter
Bi-amping integrated/power. Definitely made an improvement - bottom end tightened, and I think more musical and foot tapping. Question is would the £ spent on this = integrated of equivalent £?

Ant

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 5, 2005
Hythe, Kent
AKA
Antony
I am horizontaly bi amping right now. Makes a difference, not sure if it's better or just different.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles