'biamping' through one integrated 2 pairs of speaker outputs question

roligail

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 30, 2013
Hi all, just wondering if someone could confirm that it is safe to 'bi-amp' I have an old sansui 6600 integrated with two pairs of speaker outputs, have biwire cable terminated 4 plugs one end & 2 the other, & new single wire speakers (dynaudios). I'd like to check if it's safe to use the 4 plugs at the amp end (2 in one set of speaker outputs, 2 in the other), & the 2 plugs at the speaker end & that I won't blow anything up! The dynaudios like power so was wondering if I could 'biamp' them this way. any info appreciated. The amp will 'think' that its running 2 pairs of speakers when in fact it is only running one pair. Is this safe to do ?!

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Not quite like you imagine.

The 2 sets of outputs from the amplifier come from the same place. There are not 4 separate amplifiers in there.

Splitting the cables at the amp end wont make a bit of difference to the performance.

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
You won't get more power - but if those are the only speaker cables you have, at least connecting them like that will prevent the unused plugs from shorting out (which would kill your amp.)

IMPORTANT: wire them correctly, red to two reds, black to two blacks. Any other way and your amp will blow up.

bmtell

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2010
Northampton
AKA
Mark
Save up and buy a better amp. Then run single wires to the speakers.

And ask Rick to send my valves back. ;-)

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Save up and buy a better amp. Then run single wires to the speakers.And ask Rick to send my valves back. ;-)
PM me your addy then. :doh: Or should I just send them to sarcy c**t in Northampton (somewhere)? You really have turned Southern.

dino

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 19, 2013
London
As a youngster I did all these kind of things on lower budget to upper budget kit because the dealers ( and What HIFI) said it would improve the sound. Not having much disposal income those days, I did so in the hope its true for not much outlay. Of course, it never was and disappointment was the result because money had been wasted when it wasnt exactly flowing those days . Didnt make any difference whatsoever. Bi wiring, bi amping, power cables etc etc-tried all that and there is no difference at all except wasting money. My friend who is a senior doctor, has a £1500 plus power cable in his Linn system. Despite my asking, he will not allow me to try it in my system, but gladly loans me his car when mine is in for service when im stuck. I wonder why? Because he knows I will tell him the truth! My advise would be save and get better equipment rather than wasting money on things that will do nothing to enhance your music listening pleasure.

Regards.

• Upvote
Reactions: brystonian

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles