Big speakers and suspended floors

G

Just had a brief moment of panic, I'm moving house soon and the new place has suspended floors. I've been living with concrete floors now for at least 14-15 years.

Anyone using big Tannoys in buildings with suspended floors? Am I concerned over nothing?

No neighbours to annoy but I'm worried about boominess.

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just had a brief moment of panic, I'm moving house soon and the new place has suspended floors. I've been living with concrete floors now for at least 14-15 years.Anyone using big Tannoys in buildings with suspended floors? Am I concerned over nothing?

No neighbours to annoy but I'm worried about boominess.
It will be a case of suck it and see Tom. You might get lucky, or we might see big Tannoy's for sale soon. :D

themadlatvian

Wammer
Wammer
Dec 28, 2008
Huddersfield
AKA
John
Rick is bang on - don't panic yet. It all depends on the resonance frequencies of the joists, how well braced/damped they are, the dimensions of the room and the size/depth of the space beneath the floor. You don't of course want a floor to be freely flexing all the time, but I have known suspended floors that have been very successful with large speakers with extended bass response.

Steve (MVJ) struggled with this for years with his beautiful B&Ws, but I think that was caused by the unusually large cavity below the floor of his music room.

:^

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
HI Tom,

I think you should be fine. I have now moved my GRFs to an old house with rattly suspended floors. And other than a bit of vibration transmitted to the floor the wheeled feet, there appear to be no obvious problems. And in their new bigger room, they now sound great.

If you are concerned, big slabs of 30mm or 50mm granite underneath are good as they create a nice stable level base as they are so damn heavy!

For smaller speakers on wobbly floors, Townhend suspended speakers stands are brilliant but I dont think they come in Tannoy size :) . But probbably due to their mass, the tannoys seem fairly immune to shaky floors.

G

Thanks guys. Useful reassurance. Glad to hear Graham you got a better location for yours :)

steelhull

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 11, 2009
Oxford, , United Kin
AKA
Mike
Hi Tom

I have large speakers in my first floor listening room with a bouncy floor and lots of boom in the room below. I fitted Townsend stands and there was a big improvement in the bass, much cleaner, and my wife was much happier!

i think that Townsend will build to order but obviously see how you get on first.

Mike

GR1

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Studiospares and others have Isolation mats and Anti Vibration mats which will help/fix any problem. I would wait for any problem to arise before worrying about it.

G

geoffp67

large concrete paving slabs should help with boom IF needed. One may suffice, no reason not to use a few though :)

Or try standing speaker on a diy sandbox, wooden box with a couple of inches of dry sand in it

Sticking everything together with blu-tack is usually effective too.

I'd always try the very cheap solutions before going mad with the plastic

graham67

Wammer
Wammer
May 19, 2010
Thanks guys. Useful reassurance. Glad to hear Graham you got a better location for yours :)
Thanks tom, they were all wrong in the last too small room werent they? But in their much bigger room they now sound good. :)

catcando

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 2, 2007
Cambridge
AKA
Gregg
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tom, there is a sensible fix, before you move in. Get 15mil plywood, and cover the room. Glue and screw it through the old floorboards, to the joists. You will have a very solid floor, for a small outlay.

avinunca1

Wammer
Wammer
May 26, 2008
Shrewsbury, UK
AKA
Michael
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Tom, there is a sensible fix, before you move in. Get 15mil plywood, and cover the room. Glue and screw it through the old floorboards, to the joists. You will have a very solid floor, for a small outlay.
If you have wooden floors of course you might prefer to make a feature of them by sanding and Osmo oiling them - luvly

josst

Wammer
Wammer
May 9, 2008
London, , United Kin
AKA
Joss
+1 for the Townshend solution. He has even made stands for monster JBLs.

There is a picture of mine in my OBX-R2 For Sale thread. Simply, they work, and the benefits are not subtle - not only a complete absence of any hint of boominess in the bass but improved transparency, timing and punchiness across the whole frequency spectrum.

hifinutt

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Dec 23, 2007
midlands , , United
AKA
phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
My Westminsters sit on a very springy wooden floor without any problem.
yes indeed , those monsters sound gorgeous !!

have no fear tom

I have big summit x and suspended floors and no probs

Andy831

Wammer
Wammer
May 12, 2006
Hebden Bridge
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I can only speak for myself Tom but I have largish Tannoys, timber suspended floors and a rather large cavity below the floor and have few if any problems at my listening levels in a smallish room.

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
I have a cellar here underneath a suspended floor, and I am positive it contributed to a huge bass suck out, I would acoustically measure the room when you are settled.

Keith.

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
I was going to suggest just this, although I think I'd just screw it, as gluing is a bit drastic. You could also add mass - just lob in some hardcore underneath the floorboards. Won't look tidy, but will reduce those nasty resonances.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online