AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Big thankyou to Hawk
thumbs_up.gif.3c8ee62eda0e86146178ab30b9facd86.gif
:^
:dude:for his usual hospitality and for letting me dismantle his system and plumb in some Marantz this afternoon.No don't worry he hasn't taken a blowto his head and thinking of an 'upgrade'
wink.png
, it's just I have my eyes set on some Avatars and was very curious to see if they would gell with some SS.

For the first 10 minutes
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
, very flat and boring, but luckily as the amp started to warm up, the combo started to work together and richness and texture appeared (though not on the same plain as the Kondo of course!).

The built in phono stage copied better than I imaggined considering the quality of the SME/Kondo front end. It allowed some ofthe Kondo magic to be heard, but of course not in the full grandeous manner as Hawks full setup allows.

All in all the Marantz worked better than I expected (fears of shrillness never rearing it ugly head:))

Luckily normality was restored before I left and the full capabilities of the Avatars were restored whenKondo/Border patrol came back on line:stereo:

Thanks again buddy :sorry:

Testy

JCL

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 27, 2007
North Vancouver, Bri
I don't know if there's a UK dealer yet but try and check out some WLM Diva's as an option to the Avatars. The Avatar's are great but I just traded mine for the WLM's.

Purite Audio

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 29, 2007
London, UK
AKA
Keith
Do they have a seperate tweeter on top,in a semi circular enclosure, if they do ,they sounded very good at the Munich show.

JCL

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 27, 2007
North Vancouver, Bri
Coopee,

That's the upper model's with the PAC tweeter. Amazing but not cheap ! The Diva's have a coaxial driver, an adjustable tweeter/bass port.

nipponhifi

Wammer
Wammer
Oct 20, 2006
Uppsala, Sweden
AKA
Martin
LV 'speakers are often expected to only work with valves, or small sweet amplifiers. Not so!!

They'll work with anything you decide to play them with. In fact, they sound incredible with big lumps of sand muscle, smoothing out and colouring in amplifiers that can often be sharp, bleached out and grainy to my (tired and battered) ears. Not boring or sleepy, just eminently listenable.

WLM Diva Monitors sounded glorious at the Munich Show; better than the larger, multi drive unit version IMHO.

Coops, the tweeter is their own design, called a PAC driver. That's 'Phase Acoustic Corrected' to us mere mortals. Apparently there are two silk domed drive units in the enclosure, fitted with some kind of fancy wave guide. I thought the 'speakers without the PAC unit were preferable.

As you're a 'speaker pimp now, why don't you look at bringing them into the U.K? You could be the new 'speaker King! A kind of White Magic Absolute Sounds
wink.gif.25d7e4815f6a2fee62f4117deebb27e0.gif

JCL, congratulations! If they're like the monitor versions I heard, then you must be in 'speaker heaven!

Martin.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
I spoke to the WLM guys a few months ago before I got the ARTs, and they suggested that UK distro was already sorted - will try and dig out the email and find out who it was.

"Like Tannoys but much better" (paraphrased) is how the maker described them - and that sounds very promising
biggrin.png

Hawk

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Herts, United Kingdo
Testure wrote:

Big thankyou to Hawk
:^
:dude:for his usual hospitality and for letting me dismantle his system and plumb in some Marantz this afternoon.No don't worry he hasn't taken a blowto his head and thinking of an 'upgrade'
wink.png
, it's just I have my eyes set on some Avatars and was very curious to see if they would gell with some SS.For the first 10 minutes
glum.gif.19305e5ca189352e84c85f8ec971e437.gif
, very flat and boring, but luckily as the amp started to warm up, the combo started to work together and richness and texture appeared (though not on the same plain as the Kondo of course!).

The built in phono stage copied better than I imaggined considering the quality of the SME/Kondo front end. It allowed some ofthe Kondo magic to be heard, but of course not in the full grandeous manner as Hawks full setup allows.

All in all the Marantz worked better than I expected (fears of shrillness never rearing it ugly head:))

Luckily normality was restored before I left and the full capabilities of the Avatars were restored whenKondo/Border patrol came back on line:stereo:

Thanks again buddy :sorry:

Testy
No problem. In fact you did me a big favour! Thanks to the move around I found out that moving the SFz away from the CDP and the SME PS made a huge difference. I didn't realise it was picking up so much crap from them
f_doh.gif.2bfa1ec008d0c8800eee305d3a30be23.gif
icon_redface.gif.eb51a1f92a0314cdfc14dd3cb4473da1.gif

Cheers

Hawk

JCL

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 27, 2007
North Vancouver, Bri
Nippon,

I found the Diva to be almost identical sounding to the Diva monitor but with an additional 15Htz of bottom end. If I'd have had the cash I would have gone for the Diva Monitor/Sub combination with the associated WLM interface electronics.

I sill think the very highs on the Avatar are slightly more airy (that Scanspeak unit is very good IMO) but in every other area the WLM's are IMO a fair bit better.

enjoy_the_music

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2006
Brittany , France
AKA
Farmer Rich
Yeah i have been eyeing the WLM's for a while and they are pricey yes.

If i wasnt going to TAD Exclusive studio monitors and maybe Westlakes i'd go for the Divas or Viola Signature with passive control and super pac.

hifi addict

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
Hastings/ Crete
www.hifitraders.co.uk
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I think its Steve at Select Audio who is the distributor. I know he has been talking to them.

I spent quite a bit of time in the WLM room, and I must say theywere one on the best sounds imho at the show.

Testure

Clean gloves hide dirty hands
Wammer Plus
Jul 21, 2005
West London/ Watford
AKA
Testy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
The WLM look interesting, but for me the option of getting the Avatar tweaked to work better in my confined space, as well as the upgrade options available to take them up to the RW level later on when funds permit, makes them even more viable.

Not to mentioning hearing what they are truly capable of, eh Hawk
wink.png

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles