Wammer
Wammer
Apr 14, 2010
worthing west sussex
AKA
carl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As per thread title, i'm in worthing and have just bought an ipl stl5 waveguide kit, anyone local have a woodwork shop that could supply and cut some 18mm and 22mm birchwood ply? if so i'd like to pm a cutting list for a price.

Thanks

Carl

Vinyl Art

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 13, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Try avon plywood. They will post it to you as well. They can also apply edge profiles and rebates if needed.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
That's a better answer. :D I only get the sheets cut because I can't get them in the MPV otherwise! I have a saw table and routers, but small transport.

diceman

Wammer
Wammer
May 29, 2009
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If you only want it cut down to a smaller size then B&Q is OK but expect to recut when you get home to accurate sizes. They are not accurate and often throw the blade through the wood causing the outer layer to splinter off in places.

simonms

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2010
Brighton
AKA
Simon
You need to contact Wenban Smith, there saw mill is in Worthing as is their head office. The quality of there BB Birch is excellent. You will need to supply a cut list, they will optimize that list for 8x4 sheets and cut your panels to 1/10mm. £8.00 delivery to me in Brighton but you could pick up.

Lunatic

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 14, 2010
worthing west sussex
AKA
carl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks for the replys guys, I emailed Wenbans last week and have just got a price through, a touch more than i expected but my cut list goes into a 2nd board, my boss knows one of the guys so might get a little chip off but to be honest if i get the off cut from the 2nd board i'll be happy. Funny thing is i'm a builder but don't have the means of getting such accurate cuts, its been a real frustrating week knowing i'm in the trade and really struggling to get a proper quote. Avon was a good recomendation but the delivery + vat pushed it to £250 where Wenbans will do it for £180, will photo my build (although i'm not the best chippie :-()

simonms

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2010
Brighton
AKA
Simon
How big is the piece that runs into the second board? I have some 18mm off cuts here and could run it through the saw if I can get it out of what I have, am in Brighton but my Sister works in Worthing so could pop it in her car.

Lunatic

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 14, 2010
worthing west sussex
AKA
carl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
How big is the piece that runs into the second board? I have some 18mm off cuts here and could run it through the saw if I can get it out of what I have, am in Brighton but my Sister works in Worthing so could pop it in her car.
You are a good man Simonms but when i presented my cutting list i left out the cuts to make the transmission line thinking that i could use MDF off cuts from work, if there is enough to make the internals from the off cut then i wont feel so butt shafted, anyway, its cost £570 for the kit, if i can keep my whole build cost below 1k i'll be happy (if they sound half as good as my old n803's i'll be over the moon).

simonms

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 18, 2010
Brighton
AKA
Simon
I have never heard them but I know Ivan is a lovely chap to deal with so sure you will be happy, you know where I am and Wenbans come recommended, as I said bit more expensive but I have never been let down on the quality front. we have just ordered 60 sheets of 8x4 for an exhibition at the Museum!

Good luck with the build and post some pics!

Si.

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
You are a good man Simonms but when i presented my cutting list i left out the cuts to make the transmission line thinking that i could use MDF off cuts from work, if there is enough to make the internals from the off cut then i wont feel so butt shafted, anyway, its cost £570 for the kit, if i can keep my whole build cost below 1k i'll be happy (if they sound half as good as my old n803's i'll be over the moon).
TLs? Kit? What are you building?

awkwardbydesign

Perfect, apparently.
Wammer
Mar 5, 2012
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
It says IPL STL5's in his first post.VB
:doh: I even went back to check before I asked! Should have gone to Specsavers.

I was curious because I am building the Troels Gravesen Jenzen SEAS ER design. Over £800 plus cabinets, and I wondered if he was doing something similar.

I hope I have read the design plans better than I read this thread!

Lunatic

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 14, 2010
worthing west sussex
AKA
carl
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ok, Speakers built after a lot of headaches, got my sheets supplied and cut by Wenban smith, unfortunately as i started to assemble it became clear that the sheets were obviously warped before cutting, well after a lot of routing filling sanding and plenty of satin varnish they actually look pretty good, i haven't finishe the boxes for the external crossovers yet and that will now have to wait until after xmas, as for the sound? well after around 10hrs i reckon they are every bit as good as my old Nautilus 803 and they are sounding better by the day, total cost of build has been less than £1000 so overall i'd say they are extremely good value for money. i didn't take lots of pics of the build but i'll get the ones i do have and post them up next as soon as i have the time.

Carl

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online