Black sabbath 13

B

batman

Anyone heard it ? I've read that it's compressed to fuck and back again . Rubin messed up Metallicas last effort wtf

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
I was thinking about starting a thread on this but never got round to it. It's not *that* compressed....could be a lot better but it's a DR rating of 5/6....not 1/2 :D :p Still enough to tire the ears unnecessarily...

I like it a lot more than I expected... Given their regular inclusion these days on £2 supermarket fluff compilations such as "Guitar....Legends" & "Pure....Guitar Heroes", apart from all the reality show and Eurovision shit, we're lucky to get a metal album from them at all, let alone a Doom Metal album! Way better than the new studio tracks that were on the Reunion live album which weren't metal at all really. Drummer isn't the best match, but i'm biased since i think RATM are shitey but hey :p he doesn't ruin it, just doesn't add anything.

Bottom line is that i think a lot of the criticisms levelled at it would cone across as pretty weak from someone like me who listens to so many bands that ape Sabbath to the point of parody ;-) :p I mean FFS on Monday the only review on Metal Archives was a sprawling essay dissecting the authors betrayal by the band that gave it 0% which is just ridiculous.

It's on spotify btw. I read somewhere that there is alternative mastering exclusive to iTunes that has better DR but haven't seen anything which convincingly corroborates this. I'm not going to buy it to find out but i might if i knew it was definitely better. Anyone know?

AdamK

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 29, 2005
Bucks/Herts border
I gave it a couple of runs throughs on Spotify at the weekend.

I must be in a minority of one as I found it completely unremarkable.

Actually it reminded of some of Ozzy's crap solo efforts tbh.

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
I gave it a couple of runs throughs on Spotify at the weekend.I must be in a minority of one as I found it completely unremarkable.

Actually it reminded of some of Ozzy's crap solo efforts tbh.
Don't get me wrong....it's not remarkable (the drumming is decidedly unremarkable)....just not as crap as the bitter rantings of the 'jilted lovers' would paint it as :p

(i think you're far from alone in not thinking much of it :p )

notaclue

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
Nowhere, West Europe
AKA
Duke of Steepletone
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Has made number 1 in the album charts. :^ Sounding decent enough on a quick listen. But don't think there's enough here to make me think I'd want to listen to it more than once or twice. Not as good a comeback as Van Halen.

Brown Bottle

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
The Hoo Peninsula
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
Where's Injector, I imagine this would be right up his street! They played Iron Man on the XFM breakfast show this morning, I can't imagine anything on the new album comes close.

Cheers BB

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
I bought it today, it's a throw back (a proper) Sabbath album with hanting riffs and old school sound effect. The first track, The end of the beginning, is a real good one...think sabbath bloody sabbath and you are not that far away. The third track, Zeitgeist, could be the follow up to Planet Caravan, you know that hypnotise style riff and druming.

My fav is God Is Dead, a slowish song with a real dark and moody sound with a good bridge toward the end of the song.

The downside is recording is a tad too loud which does effect the dynamic headroom, still it's better than I expected, quite a crisp and clear sound. Another thing is if you, for some reason, expect Ozzy to sound like how he was in the 70's then you would be disappointed! OK you wouldn't mistake his voice for anyone else but it's the fact is he is now an old geezer that spend most of his life drinking and druging! All in all, it's a worthwhile purchase for a true Sabbath fan, like myself :)

RichardG

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 4, 2005
West of Cardiff, UK
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bought it today, it's a throw back (a proper) Sabbath album with hanting riffs and old school sound effect. The first track, The end of the beginning, is a real good one...think sabbath bloody sabbath and you are not that far away. The third track, Zeitgeist, could be the follow up to Planet Caravan, you know that hypnotise style riff and druming. My fav is God Is Dead, a slowish song with a real dark and moody sound with a good bridge toward the end of the song.

The downside is recording is a tad too loud which does effect the dynamic headroom, still it's better than I expected, quite a crisp and clear sound. Another thing is if you, for some reason, expect Ozzy to sound like how he was in the 70's then you would be disappointed! OK you wouldn't mistake his voice for anyone else but it's the fact is he is now an old geezer that spend most of his life drinking and druging! All in all, it's a worthwhile purchase for a true Sabbath fan, like myself :)
I agree pretty much with this.

Ozzy's voice (all things considered) is surprisingly good. The riffs are inventive but recognisably Iommi (massive). I quite like the production, it's compressed but not hideously so, which is not really a problem as it's not that dynamic musically.

God Is Dead is vintage Sabbath and is ace, Zeitgeist has some lovely bluesy soloing at the end which reminded me of the last few Opeth albums when they're in melancholic mood. Dear Father is suitable closure for the recorded Sabbath if this is the last thing they release...a nice touch at the end of the song which I won't spoil if you haven't heard it.

Overall I'm impressed, 8/10 for me which is plenty. I can't believe some people are disappointed they don't sound like they did when they were 20...why / how could they??!?

Pur it like this, it's 200% better than the last Sabbath album Ozzy appeared on. And it's nearly as good as Eternal Idol. ;-)

• Upvote
Reactions: Sumdumgi

musicbox

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 23, 2005
Edinburgh
AKA
Alan
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am not much of a metal fan. But I like this album quite a lot. I am very surprised. However, the lyrics are a bit embarrasing. But everything else is quite good.

B

batman

The more I hear the more I'm liking , so can anyone say wether it's worth buying on cd or is quality of recording is such th.at downloading will suffice ?

ob1

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 12, 2007
outside....Norwich,
AKA
OB
The more I hear the more I'm liking , so can anyone say wether it's worth buying on cd or is quality of recording is such th.at downloading will suffice ?
I have dowloaded from itunes and also will have a hard copy (cd) coming too, should be able to let you know tomorrow.

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
How are you listening to it at the moment? Spotify premium? I've since read that the iTunes version has exactly the same DR as the CD; I dont know how reliable the source is though.

NAM

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2010
Edinburgh, Scotland
AKA
Neil
I have dowloaded from itunes and also will have a hard copy (cd) coming too, should be able to let you know tomorrow.
Can you check the DR rating of the iTunes version? (Free software from the unofficial dynamis range database website)

- - - Updated - - -

Cheers chaps , just listening on you tube at mo
Worth buying on CD if you don't have Spotify premium or don't want to download from iTunes then I'd say!

B

batman

Oh I don't mind the iTunes , it'll be mainly for doggy walking duties any way ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Today's Birthdays

Latest Articles

Wammers Online