Bletchley Bake-off Sat 21st May

M

murray johnson

Won't the Audiolab DAC be much the same performance-wise as what's in the one box CDP or are they speccing it higher somehow?

AmDismal

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 22, 2007
It should be pretty similar to the current DQ, although apparently there is some new tech in it compared to that - called Cross or something. Anyway it has three advantages:

• Async USB that I can use
  • Remote volume
  • Cheaper

Naturally the main downside is its current unavailability!

There was a big thread on Pink Fish where they compared a number of DACs, but I was not convinced by their methodology - they listened to a single track all day! http://www.pinkfishmedia.net/forum/showthread.php?t=93581&page=14

The Audiolab didn't do brilliantly, but there were mitigations, and surprisingly the Young didn't stand out completely either. I get the impression that the Audiolab is 'refined' to the Young's 'dynamic', but it's hard to tell from other people's descriptions.

M

murray johnson

Having made the effort to get all of those DACs together, some variation in the program material would have been advisable.

But really, its beyond the capacity of any blind panel to try to appraise that much stuff in one day. Been there, tried that.

Had we not had so many analoguey toys to play with last weekend, making some sensible comparison between the Dacs in the Nagra, the AN and the Young would have been instructive. But the sun was shining, the beer was flowing & the craic was good!! Another time maybe.

Papa Lazarou

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 18, 2005
Bletchley, Bucks
AKA
Phil
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Today the M7 has mostly been enjoying some fooey new coupling caps......

AN%20Ag%200.22.jpg

Mmmmmmmm. :stereo:

Of course these things make no difference - all caps sound the same. :)

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
:nerves:It was an Audio Note cap that failed in my Liang, causing full anode current through one of the 845s which nearly melted. :x

Wouldn't use those again!! :nup:

Gizza

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Mar 12, 2011
Sutton Coldfield
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What? Something from audience note that has attracted negative comments?? That's got tone a first!

Todaythe M7 has mostly been enjoying some fooey new coupling caps......

AN%20Ag%200.22.jpg

Mmmmmmmm. :stereo:

Of course these things make no difference - all caps sound the same. :)

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What? Something from audience note that has attracted negative comments?? That's got tone a first!
I hope that bollocks was because you posted on your phone :)

You need more fingers

notjusthairyhands.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.