Wammer Plus
Jul 23, 2019
Village near Nottingham.
AKA
Dom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Stingray,
I am with you on PRC products. My first TEAC was 100% reliable.
Although firmware upgrades were a nightmare and the app/os was mediocre. TEAC closed their uk base and centralised in Germany. When my new top of the range ud701n went wrong, four months of extreme hassle ensued. The uk third party repair centre didn't even have a manual and obtaining a spare from Shenzhen was never going to happen.
When Innuos recent sense upgrade disabled radio paradise, they responded immediately to my email and a fix was issued in a few days. I have confidence in their support and build quality and have said before, the quality linear power supply will not require pimping. Chem man has recently demoed a pulse vs node and confirmed my experience. I'm still a fan of the Node and have spent a few days listening to it in a second system. Returning to my main rig today, the soundstage is huge in comparison, but the other more modest one is a very pleasant listen. Horses for courses.
I was really sorry to read about your Teac problems as I am a long term Tascam user and was considering that DAC. But problems can happen with any product from any country. Plenty of products made in China that work well for millions of users like my iPhone. But for political reasons I understand why some may not be happy with buying from certain countries.

nomore landings

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2018
Dawson's Field
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No
I was really sorry to read about your Teac problems as I am a long term Tascam user and was considering that DAC. But problems can happen with any product from any country. Plenty of products made in China that work well for millions of users like my iPhone. But for political reasons I understand why some may not be happy with buying from certain countries.
Hi Dom,
The DAC unit, especially when I added the TEAC master clock, sounded sublime. Unfortunately the streamer failed and being an all in one the whole device was eventually refunded after countless emails and phone calls. I have many products from the PRC that have been 100% reliable, but when spending on not inexpensive hifi, its a case of once bitten, twice shy. Having flown to Beijing a couple of dozen times, I am full of admiration for the incredible advances they have made in infrastructure and manufacturing. An avalanche of Chinese electric cars are going to hit our shores in addition to those electric BMWs, Volvos MGs Teslas etc than are already imported from Shanghai. In 1976, I peered into the then isolated China from a vantage point in the new territories, Hong Kong. Shenzhen was a modest mainly fishing port, now a tech manufacturing centre of more than 25 Million beavering away.
I agree, most are not bothered if their Yamaha, technics or Exposure is made in Malaysia as they all have strong support. Some of the plethora of highly regarded DACs have limited or no dealer support in he uk. That has been a major factor in recent purchases along with an OS that delivers what you need.

As for the politics, that was not a factor despite the global death and destruction inflicted by the Wuhan plague. "Gain of function" research that was banned in the west was sponsored there by the US and others. The disinformation campaigns that were launched and embraced by the media are now being uncovered. Cover ups are usually exposed by following the money. All imho.

horace

Not allowed near the classifieds while drunk
Wammer
Dec 4, 2006
Morpeth (Northum)
AKA
Martin
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I have one of the original Nodes (N100? - the vaguely cube-shaped one). Can anyone tell me if it will output 24/192 kHz to a DAC via Toslink?

My understanding is that (generally) Toslink is 24/192 kHz capable, but that some manufacturers impose a limit of 24/96. My DAC doesn't indicate which of those it's receiving.

Thanks

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I’ve had a Bluesound Vault 2 since December 2017 and it’s been my go-to digital source ever since. It took several months to rip my 2,000-ish CDs onto it’s hard drive, and my solution to the sound quality disparity between it and my better-sounding Rega Saturn CDP was to buy an Audio Note DAC 0.1x, which sounds better than the Saturn.

Streaming can be problematic due to the dodgy home broadband which uses 55+ years old copper cable and which gets disrupted when we get a voice call coming on the even older cabling from the exchange in town. But that’s not Bluesound’s fault.

The Vault has a couple of big issues, the first of which is metadata. The metadata services that Bluesound use are very poor, so CDs get ripped as the wrong artist and album, and lots of words get mis-spelt. Cliff Richards anyone? “Never Had A Cream Come True” anyone? This has sometimes led me to rip on a laptop and copy the resultant FLACs onto the Vault.

The other issue is the BluOS search facility and how it handles the search results. Part of this is because Bluesound have had to write BluOS for multiple platforms, which must be a huge challenge. On the iPadOS version of BlueOS, apostrophes are the enemy. At best a title or artist search with an apostrophe will return a small subset of the true results. At worst, the iPad client goes into a loop and I have to reboot the iPad.

Then if, say, a search for a title returns 15 results, iOS often loses track of which result is which and any selection that I make will end up with the wrong result being played. Other times, all selections made by me from the list will just play the same result. This all becomes clear when the track is played and the album sleeve is displayed. This shows the selection actually being played.

Having pointed out the faults (like a politician or TV political journalist) I have to say that the Vault is a wonderful device that’s really boosted my listening experience. I wouldn’t be with out it. It’s also been the means to listen to my whole CD collection in my car via 7 memory sticks. Now that’s a real Brucie bonus.
(I've just re-read this post after @VikingWammer kindly liked it.)

In case I didn't address it in a subsequent post, the iPad Issue with apostrophes in search strings (as described above) turned out to be a 'smart punctuation' setting on the iPad that automatically changes apostrophe to single quotes and b*ggers up the search string. After I turned the feature off, the search facility started to work properly.

(Perhaps it ought to be renamed "auto-incorrect".)

Since then, however, the notorious 'wandering volume slider' issue has reared its ugly head and has proceeded to annoy the hell out of me every day. Grrrr!

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've posted about this elsewhere, raised it with Bluesound, and followed all the relevant threads elsewhere. The issue with the bluesound app and Qobuz 'favourites' organising is now turning this into a deal breaker for me.

I like the BlueOS app and the way it works, but all my streaming is Qobuz. Basically, the problem is that the app 'organises' your favourites in Qobuz ONLY in the order in which you add/added them. It seemingly remains impossible to change the order to alphabetical or anything else. I now have over 300 albums saved on Qobuz, and trying to find them in the Bluesound app is getting impossible. The only solution at the moment would be to remove all of them from favourites, then re-enter them in some sort of order. But that's pointless, because as soon as I add another album, it will simply appear at the top of the list.

This issue has been ongoing for years, and it appears Bluesound either can't fix it, or aren't interested in fixing it. Sadly, much as I like it in terms of sound, use and reliability, the Node may have to go, because streaming is supposed to make things simpler for 'quick and easy playing'. That isn't the case here.

I could use the Qobuz app, but it's a workaround, as the Qobuz app doesn't properly recognise the Node, so some of the settings (which matter) aren't accessible.

Reactions: Sotosound

Paul68

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 30, 2021
West Lothian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've posted about this elsewhere, raised it with Bluesound, and followed all the relevant threads elsewhere. The issue with the bluesound app and Qobuz 'favourites' organising is now turning this into a deal breaker for me.

I like the BlueOS app and the way it works, but all my streaming is Qobuz. Basically, the problem is that the app 'organises' your favourites in Qobuz ONLY in the order in which you add/added them. It seemingly remains impossible to change the order to alphabetical or anything else. I now have over 300 albums saved on Qobuz, and trying to find them in the Bluesound app is getting impossible. The only solution at the moment would be to remove all of them from favourites, then re-enter them in some sort of order. But that's pointless, because as soon as I add another album, it will simply appear at the top of the list.

This issue has been ongoing for years, and it appears Bluesound either can't fix it, or aren't interested in fixing it. Sadly, much as I like it in terms of sound, use and reliability, the Node may have to go, because streaming is supposed to make things simpler for 'quick and easy playing'. That isn't the case here.

I could use the Qobuz app, but it's a workaround, as the Qobuz app doesn't properly recognise the Node, so some of the settings (which matter) aren't accessible.
Maybe these things will get sorted in BluOS 4.0 which is slated for October, plus Qobuz connect is also due by the end of the year.

Reactions: rabski

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Maybe these things will get sorted in BluOS 4.0 which is slated for October, plus Qobuz connect is also due by the end of the year.
Wants to be. It's already been far, far too long.

Reactions: Paul68

Sumdumgi

Interstellar Overdriver
Wammer Plus
Jul 4, 2008
Durham
AKA
Les
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

I've always found the Bluos relationship with Qobuz to throw up little issues now and again and this is primarily why I've never signed up to Qobuz long term. Once their connect function comes with the App it may be better as said above. Tidal integrates much better but I don't like Tidal. I don't want to give up the Node because Bluos handles my NAS library really well and shelling out for a streaming service with regular frustrations isn't for me. Spotify Connect works brilliantly with the Node so I'm hoping the Qobuz people can come up with something as good - or Spotify finally comes up with CD quality 🙄

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I've always found the Bluos relationship with Qobuz to throw up little issues now and again and this is primarily why I've never signed up to Qobuz long term. Once their connect function comes with the App it may be better as said above. Tidal integrates much better but I don't like Tidal. I don't want to give up the Node because Bluos handles my NAS library really well and shelling out for a streaming service with regular frustrations isn't for me. Spotify Connect works brilliantly with the Node so I'm hoping the Qobuz people can come up with something as good - or Spotify finally comes up with CD quality 🙄
Pretty much my position Les.

Qobuz has everything I want in terms of music, and the quality wins. I don't like the Tidal business model and I want high res, so that basically means Qobuz. On the other hand, streaming isn't my primary source, so the Node is about as spendy as I want to get with the hardware.

It's a stupid situation and it surely can't be that much of an issue once someone actually bothers.

Last edited:

Sotosound

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 27, 2014
Buckinghamshire
AKA
Ian
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Back in my days as a software developer, I noticed that very few programmers were happy to properly analyse more complex issues, and they'd never get past tinkering around the edges of some issues since working out the root cause required patience in a world of "I have superior intellect and can fix things quickly." or "I have bosses who don't really understand what's involved."

Also, some 21st century issues can be complex to fix if your software has to run on multiple platforms, i.e. Apple, Android, and Windows.

Pull these aspects together, i.e. a possible deficit in terms of patient analysts combined with poor management and a need to control costs, and you have a situation wherein a vendor must either keep quiet or admit that something can't be fixed, such as Qobuz or an errant volume control on Apple devices.

My guess is that Bluesound believes that avoidance is the best policy.

Last edited:

antonio66

Well-Known Wammer
Wammer
Aug 12, 2018
Grimsby/Phnom Penh
AKA
David
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
  2. No

Only trying to help here having seen this post, and NOT trying to sell you anything. :)

I use Qobuz to stream as well and my favourites, artist and albums, were in the order I had selected them and like you would prefer alphabetical order. I went in to my Qobuz app and changed the settings to alphabetical (I'm a complete dunce when it comes to these sort of things and this was all new to me) I use a Lumin streamer in our 2nd system in the uk, on the Lumin app changing the alphabetical has made no difference and favourites still show in the order selected.

Now on my Eversolo (you may have seen the thread :ROFLMAO: ) app favourites, both artist and albums appear in alphabetical order.

I assume you have changed the settings in your Qobuz app and this has not had the desired effect within the Bluesound app.

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Only trying to help here having seen this post, and NOT trying to sell you anything. :)

I use Qobuz to stream as well and my favourites, artist and albums, were in the order I had selected them and like you would prefer alphabetical order. I went in to my Qobuz app and changed the settings to alphabetical (I'm a complete dunce when it comes to these sort of things and this was all new to me) I use a Lumin streamer in our 2nd system in the uk, on the Lumin app changing the alphabetical has made no difference and favourites still show in the order selected.

Now on my Eversolo (you may have seen the thread :ROFLMAO: ) app favourites, both artist and albums appear in alphabetical order.

I assume you have changed the settings in your Qobuz app and this has not had the desired effect within the Bluesound app.
Albums are in alphabetical order on Qobuz. In the Bluesound app, they're displayed in the order in which they were added. BlueOS software apparently picks only certain data and does not properly integrate. There is no option to re-order favourites in BlueOS.

As the two are nevertheless still linked, if I remove a 'favourite' in the Bluesound app, it also gets deleted as a favourite in Qobuz itself, so I can't just clear the list down and re-import it.

I like everything the Node does, and I've 'invested' in it in terms of buying an interface board and spending a fair bit building a serious power supply. Selling it and buying a different streamer really doesn't appeal, especially as my serious listening is vinyl, followed by CD.

I'm sort of stuck with it, but it's annoying to say the least.

StingRay

Legend Wammer
Wammer
Apr 27, 2016
Suffolk coast, UK
AKA
Ray
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Is this not a Qobuz issue though? Think I have read this on other streamers as well, problems with Qobuz favourites and playlists.
On Qobuz can you only have the albums in alphabetical order by album title?

I never use favourites or playlists.

I stopped using Qobuz because of buffering problems, which maybe down to my BT router. I have used Deezer for 9 months now without any issues, apart from twice.

Last edited:

rabski

Everything in moderation
Staff member
Dec 2, 2006
Kettering
AKA
Richard
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Is this not a Qobuz issue though? Think I have read this on other streamers as well, problems with Qobuz favourites and playlists.
I frankly don't care who is at fault. They are in a definable order in the Qobuz app. The Bluesound app displays all the relevant information, plus album artwork. It has the name and artist available, so the database information is there.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles