Bluetooth and headphone amp/dac dimbo question..

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I am old so prepare for what may be a dumb question.
I'm thinking about getting my first ever pair of bluetooth headphones. Reading up on wired headphones and it seems that an amp/dac is often recommended, but what about bluetooth ones - might I need a bluetooth amp/dac or is one not required?
I presume that the signal sent to the phones is amplified by the phones or am I wrong?
Thanks for any helpful explanations!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All amplification is built in to the phones (well the streaming device can usually act as a pre amp) so I think the device doesn't really matter so much as long as it has AptX (preferably HD) or one of the other higher res types eg LDAC. 5.1 or higher is also better for battery life if not for connecting multiple devices at once.

Reactions: Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
All amplification is built in to the phones (well the streaming device can usually act as a pre amp) so I think the device doesn't really matter so much as long as it has AptX (preferably HD) or one of the other higher res types eg LDAC. 5.1 or higher is also better for battery life if not for connecting multiple devices at once.
Brilliant, very many thanks Lawrence. That means my budget for the phones can be upped a bit!

Lawrence001

Mega Wammer
Wammer
Jul 21, 2015
London
AKA
Lawrence
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recommend the Sony WH 1000XM3 if you can find a sealed box/ hardly used pair still with good battery life. They should be under £150. They are tuned to a warm, sightly bassy sound by default but the Sony app has a built in equaliser so you can adjust them to taste.

Freddyflybuttons

Freddyflybuttons
Wammer
Jan 19, 2020
Cornwall
AKA
Steve Powell
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I recommend the Sony WH 1000XM3 if you can find a sealed box/ hardly used pair still with good battery life. They should be under £150. They are tuned to a warm, sightly bassy sound by default but the Sony app has a built in equaliser so you can adjust them to taste.
OK, thanks. I have a large-ish head so comfort is paramount. I was actually looking at the xm4 or the sennheiser momentum 4, or even possibly the HiFiMan Sundara but all are totally unknown to me in terms of sound or comfort - selected mainly by reading on this and other forums!

JamieMcC

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 25, 2013
Isle of Wight
AKA
Jamie
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Fwiw I brought a pair of the Sony WH 1000XM4 for my daughter and was impressed with the sound quality which for Bluetooth was surprising good the noise cancelling I think is excellent. I often borrow them myself even though I have a spendy dedicated headphone system the convenience ease of use and mobility factor make for a good user experience

MVJ

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Apr 9, 2020
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I know Bose are not the favourite flavour on here but I have had 2 of pairs their headphones for a long time & they have been totally reliable connecting to whatever music player with blutooth I've had.

Sound wise they have great stereo imaging good bass comfort wise I've worn them on flight for 4/5 hours no problem.

Check them out you might be suprised and find just what your looking for👍

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles