Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just plugged in my Beard P100, which was working fine just this afternoon when I bought it. Got home, plugged it all in, powered it up (following the instructions) and as I went to get a CD there was a lot of hum and noise, I smelt that smell ran over powered it off but too late. Pretty sure I got a dead KT88 on the right channel and am now worried there could be worse.

:(

Help!

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bloody hell James. Do you get the feeling it might be more than the valve? Don't expect you have any spare 88's, or any other power tubes around either?

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I bet/hope it was just the tube:^

Amps make terrible noises when tubes blow.

Get something like this and see if the power all the power tubes are running about the same temp.

If one is way hotter than the others, could be a simple bias adjustment or a PSU cap .....hopefully

QVTIMG20080617124801823.jpg

List Price:

$38.44

Sale Price:

$25.63

You Save:

$12.81

Quantity:12345678910111213141516171819202122232425262728293031323334353637383940414243444546474849

clear.gif

Model Number:

Mfg Part No.:

Manufacturer:

Yellow Jacket - see more products

Catalog #: 22386

In Stock. This product normally leaves our warehouse within 1 to 2 business day.

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Bloody hell James. Do you get the feeling it might be more than the valve? Don't expect you have any spare 88's, or any other power tubes around either?
The smell was not good. Think it was the valve though, just had a look at the wires, can't see anything - so put it back on stand-by. Dared to power it up again no more smell. Then put a CD on. I can tell you the left channel sounds sublime. And no, no spare valves around. My first valve amp in fact.

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
not sure about running it on one channel??? :nerves:

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
David Wright must be pretty close to you?http://www.borderpatrol.net/aiind.htm
Judging by his phone number, yes. Will give him a call, unless a nearby Wammer happens to have a spare KT88 I can try/buy.

- - - Updated - - -

not sure about running it on one channel??? :nerves:
I'm not. I just powered it back up for a second. It's all off don't worry.

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What brand KT88 is it?

I have had Gold Lion re-issues burn up spectacularly

meninblack

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 20, 2005
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Welcome to the world of valves! Vacant, glassy little shits with the life span of a diseased mayfly and a nasty propensity to take other components with them when they inevitably fail. :x

I would rather use solid-state every time - if only it didn't all sound shite! :wall:

Valvebloke

Wammer
Dec 3, 2009
Didcot, Oxon
AKA
Graeme
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a general rule valves are more mechanically robust than you might imagine. But it's not unknown for them to develop faults during a car journey. There are some quite delicate electrodes in there and, given the volts between them, they need to be kept separate from one another. If the duff channel was still making a noise (any sort of noise) when you got to the power off switch then you probably haven't blown either the output transformer or the mains transformer. Anything else can be fixed relatively easily and relatively cheaply. But this is a high power amp and it'd be a brave person who tried to fix it without the right level of experience and/or diagnostic kit. You'd ideally want to get your existing valves checked out independently. If that doesn't reveal a fault then I think the next step needs a professional.

VB

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
What brand KT88 is it?I have had Gold Lion re-issues burn up spectacularly
Beard.

just been having a poke and all the wires to the valve look ok. Nothing melty, the valve in question is blackened inside. I suspect it was just the valve. I wouldn't be surprised if I moved the Biasing when loading and unloading or similar. Or when it was in the car.

crimsondonkey

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 29, 2008
Lucky then James if it was just a blown valve. Hope you get it sorted and are toe tapping soon.

Bourney

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 28, 2006
stoke on trent
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any charred resistors or owt? I've had resistors go on an AI700 and an Audion. Both horrible smells and then one channel off.

New amp too! Very frustrating. Must be some one local with a spare cheapo 88??

JamPal

Content Provider
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Sussex, West Side
AKA
James
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
As a general rule valves are more mechanically robust than you might imagine. But it's not unknown for them to develop faults during a car journey. There are some quite delicate electrodes in there and, given the volts between them, they need to be kept separate from one another. If the duff channel was still making a noise (any sort of noise) when you got to the power off switch then you probably haven't blown either the output transformer or the mains transformer. Anything else can be fixed relatively easily and relatively cheaply. But this is a high power amp and it'd be a brave person who tried to fix it without the right level of experience and/or diagnostic kit. You'd ideally want to get your existing valves checked out independently. If that doesn't reveal a fault then I think the next step needs a professional.VB
Hmm, when I powered it back up the right channel was silent.

Oh nuts. What a waste of money. Solid state from here on in for me. :D

JBCobra

Legend Wammer
Wammer
May 10, 2010
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Cool! I would bet big money you will be fine then:^

Maybe try and get a matched set of tubes. Or at least a set that has approximately the same amount of hours on them

Beard.just been having a poke and all the wires to the valve look ok. Nothing melty, the valve in question is blackened inside. I suspect it was just the valve. I wouldn't be surprised if I moved the Biasing when loading and unloading or similar. Or when it was in the car.
- - - Updated - - -

That is because the tube is fried....

Hmm, when I powered it back up the right channel was silent. Oh nuts. What a waste of money. Solid state from here on in for me. :D

bandit pilot

Comfortably Numb
Staff member
Jul 19, 2007
North Nott's
AKA
Rick
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Forum statistics

Threads
Members