Braided speaker cable and exposure/naim power amps - ok to use?

daws0n

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
I am swapping my kit about and require some new cable for my Exposure power amp... NAC A5 is too stiff/awkward, and my Exposure cable is now way too long! I only require 2m per side, and digging around in the attic I've found these:

Acquired years ago with a quad 405-2 amp... They seem well made and from what I remember they were hand made by an engineer friend of the seller.

diy1.jpg

diy2.jpg

They look like they can do the job no problem, but I know that Exposure/naim amps lack a zobel network and are fussy with speaker cable properties. Looking at similar designs online, it seems this braided wiring like this typically offers low capacitance and inductance so I presume it's safe to use... What do you reckon guys?

Thanks

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
UK
Not best. Naim amps are designed around a 3.5m lenth of NAC5. Naim amps do not like the high capitance that braided speaker configuartions possess.

daws0n

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
This where I am confused... I thought braided cable create high capacitance too (E.g kimber) but it seems that's not the case:

http://diyaudioprojects.com/Power/DIY-Braided-Speaker-Cables/

^^ The cable he knocked up looks very similar to mine, and offers very low capacitance/inductance (1.3pF 0.2uH per meter). Are these properties easy to measure yourself? I see LCR meters are pretty cheap on eBay

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
I'd stick with stocky figure 8 or dumbbell cable with Naim and Exposure.

If you buy a capacitance meter make sure it functions down in the pico range. Some don't or are very inaccurate.

If you're in a fix and need something quick, 13A mains flex from the DIY store will do nicely and won't blow anything.

daws0n

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
The TQ black is working fine but it's a bit pricey for my tastes nowadays... I'll see what else I can dig up, but it's all bloody long to be using in a confined space (2m per side is more than enough).

RobHolt

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2006
East London
AKA
Rob
The slimmer three VD cables looks fine. For a 2M stretch go for the thinnest.

The TQ black is working fine but it's a bit pricey for my tastes nowadays... I'll see what else I can dig up, but it's all bloody long to be using in a confined space (2m per side is more than enough).
If its an ok electrical match, chop it down to size?

The Strat

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 17, 2005
Buckingham, UK
AKA
Lindsay
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Although out of personal preference I use Chord Odyssey I'd stick with Naca even though it is very inconvenient!!

daws0n

Wammer
Wammer
Sep 21, 2006
Yes naca5 is ideal but a bloody bugger to work with!! I've got some somewhere so ill see if I can tame it with zip ties

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
OpenSea_0