budget amp upgrade

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
11,730
4,423
208
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I want to replace my old Cambridge A500 (£150 new) with a second hand bargain on eBay. What should I go for? Jap crap, Nad, Arcam? It doesn't need a phono stage or bi-wiring facility but I would like a headphone socket which is missing with the A500. I want something at 80wpc or higher for no more than £100. Or maybe I could add a power amp to my A500 to beef it up?

 

ultrasonic

Wammer
Wammer
Jan 7, 2006
202
0
0
, , United Kingdom
Why not try a classic Cyrus 1 or Nait 1/2/3 although they may sound a tad bright with your MA's...

If you can stretch it, a Marantz PM6010Ki Sig will be a big improvement on the A500

Id say at £100 thee are bargains if you look hard enough but when you go up a notch into the £150-£200 there is a much wider range of bargains to be had, all IMO of course.

Cheers

Ultra

P.S i think secondhand MF X-series new and old can be had for around £200;)

although going for brands with an army of followers/sheep may mean that you will be caught up in one of those X vs Y threads...
14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif


 

nixon_fiend

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 31, 2005
793
1
0
Leeds UK, ,
Ant wrote:

Not unliike Cymbol I would imagine, heard an Onix tuner and it was bloody amazing.
Look like this one?

IMG_3541.jpg


EDIT: lol Jezzer, i had an x80! but it's just chopping and changing. curiosity impels me to try stuff.. then the bank overdraft starts chaffing! So trying to find the best sound/price ratio! and for 90 quid i'll be happy if it works!! which might even be asking too much for a 25 y/o amp :-o .. gotta finish uni and get a massively well paid job
cool.gif.9d6c72c555b38e519336a6d9b55ca875.gif


 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,811
1,195
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
nixon_fiend wrote:

i had an x80! but it's just chopping and changing. curiosity impels me to try stuff.. then the bank overdraft starts chaffing! So trying to find the best sound/price ratio!
Yup... I know how you feel.
wink.png


 

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
11,730
4,423
208
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
ultrasonic wrote:

Why not try a classic Cyrus 1 or Nait 1/2/3 although they may sound a tad bright with your MA's...If you can stretch it, a Marantz PM6010Ki Sig will be a big improvement on the A500

Id say at £100 thee are bargains if you look hard enough but when you go up a notch into the £150-£200 there is a much wider range of bargains to be had, all IMO of course.

Cheers

Ultra

P.S i think secondhand MF X-series new and old can be had for around £200;)

although going for brands with an army of followers/sheep may mean that you will be caught up in one of those X vs Y threads...
14-00000002.gif.828495f168ee75f09f640fa4f13bd3a2.gif
Thanks Ultra, I see this as a challenge, especially as BB has just bought a £300 cdp for £33.00! If there's nothing that tickles my fancy I'll have to increase my budget.

When buying a power amp what needs to be considered so it matches - amps/gain/impedence?

 

TIU

Artist and daft as a brush
Wammer Plus
Dec 17, 2005
11,730
4,423
208
Birmingham
AKA
Gary
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Any more suggestions of what to search for? There must be something cheap which is better than a Cambridge Audio A500. What about the older Nads?

 

hifikrazy

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
1,083
6
0
, ,
AKA
Tim
Although only rated at 38w im willing to lay good money that the Onix will sound bigger than that. Someone on here picked up an Exposure XX (i think it was that model - im sure he'll be along to correct me!) for about 100 notes and thats a pretty good deal. Mostly a question of keeping your eyes open. Never heard the Claymore, but always wanted to as they were highly thought of. The old Cyrus stuff is good, but quite a bit brighter than Cambridge amp.

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Exposure-X-Amplifier-NR-One-penny-start_W0QQitemZ5877112236QQcategoryZ3280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Mostly a question of keeping an eye out for a bargain, which may take a while.

 

White Pheasant

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 27, 2005
436
2
0
Norfolk fields
AKA
Michael
turnitup! wrote:

I want to replace my old Cambridge A500 (£150 new) with a second hand bargain on eBay. What should I go for? Jap crap, Nad, Arcam? It doesn't need a phono stage or bi-wiring facility but I would like a headphone socket which is missing with the A500. I want something at 80wpc or higher for no more than £100. Or maybe I could add a power amp to my A500 to beef it up?
Might be worth 'doing a Biscuit' and browsing eBay.de.

Providing you don't mind the idea of buying from another country, there is agreat selection of used amps over there for that kind of budget(especially in the way of 'Jap crap'). Obviously not allthe sellerswill ship to the UK - just read the info on each listing - but £100 could buy you something quitebeefy from the likes of Pioneer, Akai, Sansui, Denon, Harmon Kardon etc.

 

cjr

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 8, 2005
8,561
45
0
UK
turnitup! wrote:

I want to replace my old Cambridge A500 (£150 new) with a second hand bargain on eBay. What should I go for? Jap crap, Nad, Arcam? It doesn't need a phono stage or bi-wiring facility but I would like a headphone socket which is missing with the A500. I want something at 80wpc or higher for no more than £100. Or maybe I could add a power amp to my A500 to beef it up?
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/SONY-TA-F570-ES-Esprit-Quality-Build-Amplifier_W0QQitemZ5878422186QQcategoryZ3280QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Sony ES amp. 80W, 2 sets of speakers. Excellent amps.

 

Jezzer

Passionate
Wammer Plus
Jul 31, 2005
9,811
1,195
193
Uxbridge
AKA
Jezzer
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes

Forum statistics

Threads
109,316
Messages
2,317,831
Members
69,455
Latest member
oindnsh3