Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
l picked up a 30v/300w external PSU for my Virtue Audio M451 Tripath integrated amplifier, these have a rep for being a tad noisy and it is, however it is nearly new ( 20hrs on it) and l got it for a good price and it sounds rather good and powerful, not being a technical type, l have tried a few things, ferrites on the lead, some poncy footers, both of which have helped and l have tried another socket that was a very small improvement, but the hum is still there, any ideas before l take the thing apart and tighten and damp the tranny down etc, ta:)

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Nearly forgot! :doh: The hum/noise is only apparent at low levels- it becomes quieter the more the volume is increased:geek:and on the end of the plug is an American plug then a USA to UK adaptor plug could this be a culprit?

navigator

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 6, 2012
m1 j28
AKA
dave
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Just general chat -Some Transformers do make hum even when idling. I had to hide one behind sound absorbant stuff. But maybe a separate earth wire is worth trying-I mention this due to the plug oddities. Aside ---American mains hertz/volt are different --is there an adjustment slider?

Tarzan

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2007
Hornchurch, England
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Just general chat -Some Transformers do make hum even when idling. I had to hide one behind sound absorbant stuff. But maybe a separate earth wire is worth trying-I mention this due to the plug oddities. Aside ---American mains hertz/volt are different --is there an adjustment slider?
No adjustment slider that l can see, had it running all night and it seems to have improved a tad, still noisy though, stooped question where would l attach the separate earth wire on the PSU? I have an earth post on my CD player could the earth run to that?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online

No members online now.