Calling engineers - is this speaker cable's capacitance etc OK for longer lengths?

wizons

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2009
Bucks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
This is NOT a cable thread in the sense of asking 'what does this cable sound like?'. Instead, I want to move my hifi rack away from the speakers and its location will require speaker cables of 7 - 8 meters in length per speaker.

Mogami make cables that appear to be used by pro-audio studios, so I assume their cables' capacitance, inductance etc, are fine. Their 2972 and 3014 cables are the ones I'd like to ask about: do these cables' specs (capacitance etc) make them suitable for longer lengths?

This link should take you to the relevant data sheet:

http://www.hhb.co.uk/files/product/file/datasheet_20120314134638_991.pdf

Thanks

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Should be fine for any decent amplifier. At worse something 7-800pF capacitance won't bother any amplifier unless pretty unstable.

7-8 metres isn't long, if you'd asked about 70m perhaps, but even then, it shouldn't affect any decent amp.

S

wizons

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 19, 2009
Bucks
AKA
Paul
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Should be fine for any decent amplifier. At worse something 7-800pF capacitance won't bother any amplifier unless pretty unstable. 7-8 metres isn't long, if you'd asked about 70m perhaps, but even then, it shouldn't affect any decent amp.

S
Thanks serge. 70m between speakers and rack would be a bit of a trek! I assume the narrower gauge wire is perfectly good and the thicker gauge confers no advantages.

SergeAuckland

Certified Measurist
Wammer
May 6, 2008
Bury St Edmunds, UK
AKA
Serge
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks serge. 70m between speakers and rack would be a bit of a trek! I assume the narrower gauge wire is perfectly good and the thicker gauge confers no advantages.
Yes, over that distance, the lower resistance of the thicker cable compared to the thinner is completely negligeable. Even the thinner cable would be good for 100m before problems with 8 ohm ' speakers.

All that matters is that the loop resistance of the cable i.e. the there and back resistance of the cable is ideally under 5% and no more than 10% of the loudspeaker's minimum impedance. That's why even bell-wire will work fine with loudspeakers if the cable is short enough. I use 8m lengths of 15 amp two core mains cable. As I have 6 lengths to my active 'speakers, the cheapest was to buy a 50m reel and cut it into 6 lengths.

S

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles