Calling owners of Martin Logan and Sonus Faber

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Does anyone in the tent have experience of these Absolute Sounds' brands?

I'm wondering how they sound, so if anyone could make some generalisations or sweeping statements that would be great
kaffeetrinker_2.gif.ba76878d555418d609a6f9e8389072ea.gif

Also, does anyone have a view of them being partnered with Krell?
42.gif.6d63386a5269ceda16cdf2e3fe89de81.gif

Finally, can some anyone surmise the models and ranges within say the last 5 years or so. E.g. with B&W there is 600 series, 700 series and within them, there are a range of models.
smack.gif.67a6c7204929f2d6a3282863ab29d146.gif

I'm not up to speed on either ML or SF, but am curious as to how they'd pair with my 400xi.

A

Alex A

I can't comment much on Martin Logan. But can give you info on the sonus Faber.

There has always been a widely recognised synergy between Krell and SF kit.

For a background and piccies of the current range, visit Sonus Faber's website and click on collections.

The Domus is their entry level range and priced similarly to the B&W 700 series. These are pretty new (within a year) and well reviewed. They replaced the long running Home series.

The Homage series consists of three models: Guarneri, Amati and Stradivari. The latter is the SF flagship full range speaker and cost I think circa. £25k. The Amati and Guarneri Memento have just been revamped very recently, and respectively cost about £14000 and £6300 (someone correct mistakes there).

Developed from the concepts of the Homage speakers, the Cremona models are more 'affordable' versions. The Cremona Auditors cost about £2600 (inc. stands), the Cremona floorstanders about £7k, and I don't know how much the new Elpisa is, but you're looking £10k+ easily.

Unless you're extremely well off, I'd suggest that the pick of the bunch are the Cremona Auditors or the Guarneri Memento (which I'd pick over the Cremona floorstanders at a similar price). In terms of second hand, other classics include the Electa Amator. This originally retailed at a similar price to the Auditors do now, and can probably be had for under £1k per pair if you can find them second hand.

In terms of sonics, SF had traditionally been seen as perfect for classical, with a wonderfully euphonic and endeering sound. They have always been among the best imaging and soundstaging speakers around. And their standmounts offer exceptionally powerful bass for their size (especially when driven properly a la Krell). The current range have been recognised as better all rounders, and I can confidently say that they can rock as well as anything else I've heard. What never fails to impress me with the Auditors is the purity, projection and realism of the human voice, and their ability to project any music with a very grand scale.

Of course, try to listen for yourself, you'll find a fair few dealers who stock both these brands and Krell, since they're all Absolute Sounds brands. A lengthy demo should give you a good taste for the different models available and the relative strengths of SF and ML.

G

Got a Krell KAV-300iL and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors, on the dedicated stands, and I love them! All the imaging and and detail you'd want, plus they boogie! And a system has to boogie or else I switch off and do something else.

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Thanks for all that useful info, Alex.

TBH, most of it is out of my price range.
cry_smile.gif.e6f167d6925baafe229b8957ba771316.gif
Ideally I spend around a grand, assuming I got that for my Contours. Although second hand models give more scope so the budget could be raised if needed to 1.5k if needed. I suppose a concern is the more affordable standmounts might not 'be enough' compared to the floorstanders. Having had floorstanders I have become acquired to the level of presence and bass they offer. I do like a good bit of bass.
party4.gif.af93715a971cd102256f35cade2c9c1e.gif

I'm not into classical at all. I like dance, rock and pop. Sometimes the music is dense, hard, thick, fast and loud. Is it just a stereotype that SF can't do that sorta stuff and they are better at vocals and what not?

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
Steverod wrote:

All the imaging and and detail you'd want, plus they boogie! And a system has to boogie or else I switch off and do something else.
Ditto, Steve!

How big is your listening room? and source?

Ta

PS Welcome to the forum
beer.gif.509790b8fbec49d7a428dc837b3555f0.gif

Dannish

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Basingstoke, , Unite
AKA
Andy
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
Steverod wrote:

Got a Krell KAV-300iL and Sonus Faber Cremona Auditors, on the dedicated stands, and I love them! All the imaging and and detail you'd want, plus they boogie! And a system has to boogie or else I switch off and do something else.
When i bought my current amp, the dealer used these speakers in the demo. They are now the next upgrade target. More bass than a box that size should be capable of and they did boogie:note:

G

Hi Guys, thanks for your welcome! I've updated my profile so my source equipment should now be visible for all to see. The room containing the Auditors is about 4 metres wide by 8 metres long (typical through-lounge), with a shiny reflective laminate floor deadened by £50 worth of Ikea's finest rug. The room also contains 2 Concertinos, a Piccolo Solo, a REL Strata 5, a TV, AV rack, Hifi rack, three piece suite and about fifteen remote controls! As I type this, I'm in the next room (my "office"!) listening to Genesis "Genesis" through an elderly Denon DM3 system, which sounds a lot better than it should do!

A

Alex A

Sony6million wrote:

Thanks for all that useful info, Alex.TBH, most of it is out of my price range.
Ideally I spend around a grand, assuming I got that for my Contours. Although second hand models give more scope so the budget could be raised if needed to 1.5k if needed. I suppose a concern is the more affordable standmounts might not 'be enough' compared to the floorstanders. Having had floorstanders I have become acquired to the level of presence and bass they offer. I do like a good bit of bass.

I'm not into classical at all. I like dance, rock and pop. Sometimes the music is dense, hard, thick, fast and loud. Is it just a stereotype that SF can't do that sorta stuff and they are better at vocals and what not?
Probably a very similar taste to me then. I do have a lot of 12" dance singles, and I can testify that the Auditors go low and loud - especially with the right amp. Less than 100W is unlikely to really get them to sing as they can. If it gives you any indication, I moved from a pair of B&W 805 and a pair of floorstanding Missions (used alternately) plus REL Q150E to these and got Rid of the REL as it was pretty surplus to requirements and a bit too slow to keep up with the Cremona Auditors.

I imagine in a very large room you might be better off with floorstanders, but I'm pretty sure you wouldn't lose much, if anything, from the Contours.

A

Alex A

I don't know if you've read this review here, but although the central focus is the ATC speakers, it is quite a balanced comparative review between the ATC and the Auditors. This should give you a comprehensive impression of what music I listen to and what I think these speakers can do.

Biscuit

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 19, 2005
Cambs, , United King
ML's can sound very good - the bass is slightly detached, but the mid/treble are very clean and beguiling. Overall I found them extremely pleasant and involving - even made me listen to the whole of DSOTM which is a sign of something special!!!

Tel

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 13, 2006
Hove Actually
AKA
Kevin
Sony6million wrote:

I'm not into classical at all. I like dance, rock and pop. Sometimes the music is dense, hard, thick, fast and loud.
I wouldn't say that is Martin Logan territory at all.

EESL's are superb with acoustic material give a great soundstage and the ML hybrids carry a decent bass,I do listen to some rock , but no dance at all.

I think a Krell would be OK but a lot of S/S amps struggle as the ML's can present a load of 1.4 ohms worst case. You need an Amp with plenty of current and not too much in the way of Short Circuit protection to drive them well.

I bought mine from A.N. and I believe he was using Linn 120W monoblocks to drive them. The clarity and seamlessness through the midrange and highs (there are no crossovers) is unmatched and DSOM would sound very good indeed as do all voices.

icehockeyboy

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 14, 2005
Torquay Devon. UK
AKA
Craig
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sony,might be worth your while peeping at the PMC FB1+s for sale in the classifieds, theres a link to a review there, where the guy owns some Sonus speakers,( cant recall exact model) but upon hearing the FB1's, gets rid of them, and brings in the PMC's!

Edit to add, it was the Sonus Faber Grand Piano.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
Sony6million wrote:

Thanks for all that useful info, Alex.TBH, most of it is out of my price range.

I auditioned the Cremona Auditors on my Great Loudspeaker Hunt: they do NOT conform to the stereotype that SFs can't rock! I managed to terrorise Clayton St in Newcastle town centre playing the likes of Zeppelin, Massive Attack, The Who & Six.bySeven at rhino stun volume courtesy of a pair of Quad II-40s:rockin:
:rockin:....never let anyone tell you the Auditors don't rock nor that the II-40 is for pipe & slippers...

And I would luuuuuurve to hear the Auditors with my Krell & Mac.

Have a listen, you may be pleasantly surprised.

Also: in terms of current delivery etc the Krell should have no probs with MLs. Not sure that the ML sound will suit your tastes, but again, have a listen....

Boxer

Sony6million

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 20, 2005
United Kingdom
I had a suspiscion that the MLs wouldn't be my bag. Only included them as they come from same distributer.

Thanks for the ytip-off IHB, I'll give it a read.

Incidently I have a loan of a Quad 909 just now, and using the Krell as a pre. The quad does bring some good things to the party, but not quite enough. Besides, half the Krell would be redundant and then it looks a waste of £.

Boxer

Wammer
Wammer
Nov 2, 2005
I would say the power amp section of the Krell should kick the Quad into the long grass - I'm not so convinced by SS Quad amps as their valve ones.

Boxer

Colin^

Wammer
Wammer
Jul 25, 2005
Hamilton, , NZ.
I listened to the SF Domus floor standers and found them to be overly warm in the midrange. Detailed highs and a warm bass too. Too warm for my ears, even without my gear which tends to warm.

I found the Martin Logans(second the largest new model, forgots its name) to be a let down after reading so many rave revews as well, but I listened to them on my gear which may not have suited them and they had only maybe 10 hours break in. Nice deep and tight bass, but the midrange was a let down, not dynamic enough.

One speaker in the same price range that did impress me though were the Von Schweikert VR-4's. Very impressive rock speakers, extremely fast and deep bass, quick detailed midrange and highs.

A

Alex A

Regarding a couple of comments above, it's not at all useful to use the Domus or Home series as a base for what you would expect all SF to sound like. Those 'budget' series, good as they are, don't give very much indication at all as to how the Cremona and Homage series perform, and are mor indicative of the traditional SF house sound. This is one brand where the idea of a very similar generic sound across all models doesn't apply (or at least it hasn't for a while now).

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opensea0