Cambridge Audio Azur 851N - quick question

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I posted one of my typical "war & peace" entries in the CA owner's thread but wondered if I can ask a quicker question here please? I'm considering one, but I cannot find out how CA implement internet radio on this thing. I downloaded and read the woefully short and completely unhelpful manual, have browsed the website, forums, etc and cannot find any reference to how it works. I know that it's obviously possible but don't know how. I'm interested in listening to the Radio Paradise FLAC streams, BBC R2-4 and a handful of stations that I can get on TuneIn, like Sonatica, Chill, etc.

I don't want to rely on a phone app and Airplay / Bluetooth - I have found the former to be unreliable in previous experience and as I'm in the Apple ecosystem, and they obstinately refuse to support aptX (HD) for BT audio on iOS devices. Plus it's an additional faff I can do without. So this could be a deal-breaker if I am unable to get those stations to play natively on the 851N.

Would someone who owns / has owned one please clarify how it works? Ta-ever-so, in advance.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Jules, listening to mine now. Type me your handful of preferred stations and I'll check for you now.

Is suspect they will all be on here. It is am excellent machine

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry. I didn't answer the question. You can set multiple stations and the streamer saves them in. Just pick your fav station. 

There are stupid loads to choose from so I suspect if you give me your list they will all be options and you could set all as favourites.

Send me your list and I'll tell you if I can find them. In which case you could just favourite them

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Thanks @Amormusic - you'll have PM in a couple of minutes. Just for clarity though, are you saying that you have to manually enter each individual URL for a stream and save it in memory, rather than using a Tune-In / vTuner-type application to select from?

Last edited by a moderator:

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Sorry poorly explained. No. Go to radio section as you would with any radio, except this is all online radio stations. Pick whatever floats your boat and save them as favourites. There are thousands to choose from. 

I'll be very surprised if your list is not on here.

Then once you've picked your favourite selection. Turn on, hit radio preset 1 etc. and listen to whatever you fancy.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
No URL typing. They are all options to choose from. Preloaded, or just type in station name and save.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah, that's some relief. I was thinking that typing in URLs was going to be a right faff!

Are you stuck with the provided list or able to manually add anything missing, if, for example, you enjoyed some obscure station like NoseFluteCentral? :D

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Ah, that's some relief. I was thinking that typing in URLs was going to be a right faff!

Are you stuck with the provided list or able to manually add anything missing, if, for example, you enjoyed some obscure station like NoseFluteCentral? :D
I've answered your PM. Everything you suggested there are multiples of.

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Perfect, thank you so much!  :) I feel a purchase coming on....

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Latest pm sent. Not sure if it worked properly, looks weird my end like the formatting went all odd?

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No

Type whatever you want.

I want "oddest of odd station made.up 2001" - hell yeah, it would return you that multiple times, just find best version and save it as a fav.

Reactions: Jules_S

Jules_S

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jun 7, 2019
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
If anyone was interested in my very basic little list of stations (confirmed as available), they are:

• Radio Paradise Main mix, Mellow mix and Rock mix
  • BBC Radio 2, 3 & 4
  • Chill  - LOADS OF CHILLS AVAILABLE
  • Classic - LOADS TO CHOOSE FROM
  • Heart 80's (yeah, I know, I'm an 80's child!)
  • Kerrang! Radio
  • Planet Rock
  • Sonatica

Also confirmed is that you can manually add URLs if you choose.

Amormusic

Wammer Plus
Wammer Plus
Jul 27, 2018
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Also confirmed is that you can manually add URLs if you choose.
Um, no... Perhaps poorly explained...

You cannot (or not that I've found, or looked anyway - although I've no idea even if you can, why on earth you'd want to as it would take longer).

Type in whatever takes your fancy.... With almost guaranteed certainty it will return multiple radio stream results of what you asked for as options to listen to...

Select the best quality and jobs a good un... Start dancing 👍 

Plus save as fav if you like it.

Reactions: Jules_S

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles

Wammers Online