Can anyone loan me a single layer SACD??

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
I haven't played a SACD in my Wadia 581iSE for years but this morning I decided to play the only (hybrid) SACD disc I have (Eleanor McEvoy - Yola) and it selected the CD layer - I'm sure in the past it always picked the SACD layer first. I tried to get it to switch to the SACD layer (by pressing the mode button on the remote) and the display changed to CD>SACD for about 5 seconds but I couldn't get it to actually change the layer - iirc when it changes to the SACD layer the display should show something to do with a different sample rate and clock link???

Anyway I've been umming and arring about selling my whole system for a while and obviously if I do sell I need to know if the Wadia's SACD playback is faulty (it's perfect on CD and via the digital inputs) so wondered if someone had a single layer SACD they could post me so I can try that. Obviously I'll cover all postage costs and return it the next day. I looked for something on eBay but can't find anything cheap enough - most of them are hybrid discs anyway.

luckysim0n

Wammer
Wammer Plus
Oct 23, 2013
Liverpool
AKA
Simon
HiFi Trade?
  1. Yes
let me check my discs not sure what I have

sorry all hybrid

on a side note pain in the butt to find out either way from some boxes

JVS

Wammer
Wammer
Aug 28, 2009
Ilford, Essex
AKA
Jim
I have a single layer SACD you can try Paul but, more importantly, why are you thinking of selling your entire system? :dunno:

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
I have a single layer SACD you can try Paul but, more importantly, why are you thinking of selling your entire system? :dunno:
Thanks Jim it would be much appreciated. :^

As for the sale - I did only say I was 'umming an arring'' about it. A combination of finance/work issues and a severe lack of use since getting my dog in the summer means I've been considering my options.

cobbler

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 19, 2009
Northants
AKA
Pete
Paul, if you want a few to test I could always pop some over - I have a number of single layer and hybrids.

Plus, the builders are here so can't use my system at the minute.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Paul, if you want a few to test I could always pop some over - I have a number of single layer and hybrids.Plus, the builders are here so can't use my system at the minute.
Pete - very kind of you.

Given your pretty local I'm happy to collect one or two if you prefer.

PM on way.

Steve275

Super Wammer Plus
New Wammer
Apr 24, 2013
Dublin
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hi Paul,

Just read your thread with interest as I encountered the exact same experience earlier this year with my 581SE. I have a few hybrid SACD's but collection is probably 99% Redbook so rarely use the SACD functionality. So earlier in the year, I wanted to trade in my 581SE for player with digital inputs etc to increase flexibility. And was greatly perturbed when the potential buyer observed the same behaviour that you describe I.e. display shows SACD mode for about 5 seconds, doesn't appear to read the SACD layer and then display reverts to CD. The last time I had played SACD's, it worked as you describe above with display showing change of sample rate, clock link etc.

Upon return of the player, I tested all my hybrid SACD's and found this new problem was persistent. (Although admittedly never thought of trying to get my hands on single layer SACD..) So I sent off player to local dealer repairs to see what could be done. He tried replacing a number of components, including the laser, to see if it fixed the problem. Unfortunately to no avail.. Conclusion was that it needed a complete new transport mechanism. As the transport on the 581SE is Wadia 'modded' and specific to this model, the only available source for a new one was direct from Wadia in the States. And they demanded that the player be shipped back to the US so that they could fit the replacement. All told, estimate for return shipping, parts and labour was between €2k - €3k... So I said no thanks....

So as it stands, I still have and regularly use the player. No probs with Redbook. But problem persists with SACD's.. So would be very interested to see how the single layer SACD works out for you. Hopefully a better result..

If not, perhaps some other Wammers know of a reputable source for Wadia transports... There seems to be some places on eBay that sell the lasers but have yet to see a possible source for the complete transport mechanism..

Griffi

Wammer
Wammer
Feb 8, 2010
Cambs
AKA
John
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
I borrowed a Musical Fidelity KW SACD player and experienced the same problem. I have given up on CD player due to reliability problem but also the potential higher performance of accurate rips/streamer/dac. I am not looking back.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Steve - thanks for your post, very interesting.

I expect it will be a permanent issue - hopefully I'll be able to try a single layer SACD by the end of the weekend.

On the plus side the annoying gremlins that I used to have on redbook playback have been noticeable only by their absence over the last 6 months or so, and I'd happily take that as a 99.99999% redbook man. The only problem comes when selling or trading it.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
Many thanks to Pete for popping over this evening with a selection of SACD's.

The good news is that the Wadia is not completely broken. The single layer SACD's (Beck and The Who iirc) loaded and played fine, and some of the hybrid ones did as well and I was able to switch from SACD to CD layer and vice versa without a problem.

However both Petes and my copy of Yola, and an Eric Bibb hybrid loaded ok but track 1 just would not play on the SACD later - it just thought about it for a few seconds and then moved on to track 2. :?

Also on one occasion Yola had similar issues when selecting other tracks - refusing to play them and just skipping to the next track which then played perfectly. However a different Eleanor McEvoy SACD hybrid (Early Hours) played absolutely perfectly so it's all a bit puzzling.

cobbler

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 19, 2009
Northants
AKA
Pete
It was good to meet you Paul and your super friendly dog :) I think we made some progress with the Sacds.

With the Wadia sounding that good with cds I can see why you don't bother with Sacds :^

I thought your system sounded great, you would be mad to sell it having put together such a well matched set up.

Tenson

Wammer
Wammer
Mar 2, 2006
Perhaps it is just very fussy about the quality of the (SA)CD? IME the higher-end players are often very fussy and will not skip over dirt or whatever. SACD might be even more fussy still. Or maybe the laser is a bit dirty.

Get rid of it while you can show it working, lol! Get an iPad and Spotify Premium.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
It was good to meet you Paul and your super friendly dog :) .
Great to meet you too Pete - would love to come and listen to your set-up one day as well.

As for Tara, she is very friendly if a little overbearing:roll:. As I mentioned you were the first house guest she has seen since I got her so I was a bit apprehensive as to how should would react so thanks for being so good with her and putting uo with her constant attention seeking and occasional bouts of wind. :)

Having said that it was a good job we were just messing with SACD's to start with as it meant there were plenty of breaks in the music and that enabled me to hear her making a bit of a commotion downstairs - if I hadn't gone to check what she was up to you might well have been driving home in your socks. :oops:

With the Wadia sounding that good with cds I can see why you don't bother with Sacds :^ I thought your system sounded great, you would be mad to sell it having put together such a well matched set up.
Thanks for the kind comments - it does all work very well together to my ears has a very smooth and well balanced sound, and most importantly the speakers just suit the small room perfectly.

We didn't really listen to the SACD's and my usual Porcupine Tree CD didn't quite sound at it's absolute dynamic best from where I was sitting (might just have need more volume), but Nils Lofgren certainly sounded mightily impressive. :cool:

cobbler

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 19, 2009
Northants
AKA
Pete
Great to meet you too Pete - would love to come and listen to your set-up one day as well.As for Tara, she is very friendly if a little overbearing:roll:. As I mentioned you were the first house guest she has seen since I got her so I was a bit apprehensive as to how should would react so thanks for being so good with her and putting uo with her constant attention seeking and occasional bouts of wind. :)
No problem Paul .... after 24 years of marriage I'm used to coping with these situations :)

When we get the work on the house finished you'll have to come over for a listen.

unclepuncle

Wammer
Wammer
Apr 11, 2007
Northants
No problem Paul .... after 24 years of marriage I'm used to coping with these situations :)
Wow:shock: - you didn't look anywhere near old, or stressed, enough to have been married for 24 years. Maybe she can treat you to a new hi-fi room for your silver anniversary. ;-)

harmonica98

Wammer
Wammer
Jun 14, 2012
London
AKA
Tom
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Hybrid SACDs are harder to read than single-layers ones, so a problem will manifest itself in hybrids first - I believe this is an issue with the laser.

Steve275

Super Wammer Plus
New Wammer
Apr 24, 2013
Dublin
AKA
Steve
HiFi Trade?
  1. No
Paul, great to hear that your SACD problems don't appear to be terminal! I must see if I can dig up a single layer SACD to see what my player thinks of it.. I have a feeling that I might be in a worse place than you though. Although at least red book performance is still top notch..

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
reg66

Latest Articles